An introductory discussion to get the students thinking about police and citizenship would probably be useful. The following definitions and questions are offered as a guide for such a discussion.
The very word ‘police’ is closely connected with rules and regulations. The following are some of the definitions of the word from the Oxford English Dictionary noting how it is used, and how it has been used in the past:
- ‘Police’ used as a noun:
- Organisation or a controlling body, within a community.
- The regulation and control of a community; the maintenance of law and order, provision of public amenities.
- A department of government or state concerned with maintaining public order and safety, and enforcing the law.
- The civil force of a state responsible for maintaining public order and enforcing the law, including preventing and detecting crime.
- ‘Police’ used as a verb:
- To maintain civil order in (a state or country); to organise or regulate.
- To keep in order, administer, regulate or control.