At War 1939-1945

1939, 3 September: On the day war broke out an order came from HQ and in a short time almost every officer was engaged in some form of duty connected to the emergency. The strength with the reserve grew to six hundred and seventy seven officers. The initial work load was enormous and all leave was cancelled at the end of August men being recalled if away.

Sixty regular officers were called to the colours on the 1st December their call up having been deferred three months. The chief constable was appointed county controller.88

Force numbers, the chief constable, superintendents including DCC, nine, twenty four inspectors, sixty one sergeants, and four hundred and twenty six constables making a total of five hundred and twenty one members of the Surrey Constabulary.

Police War Reserve numbered one hundred and fifteen full time, First Police Reserve forty one full time, and the Special Constabulary part time one thousand four hundred and sixty three.89 The day war broke out the Police War Reserve and First Police Reserve was immediately called to duty and a heavy call was made on the part time Special Constabulary. Huge resources initially went into manning vulnerable points and detention of "doubtful" aliens.90

Outside Camberley police station in 1939.


Outside Camberley police station in 1939: Inspector Denyer, PC 172 Bailey, PC 414 Vincent, PC Able, PC 149 Bradley, PC 101 Diacon and CID Dan Hobbs.

1939: When war broke out in 1939 the call up nationally of three thousand policemen with reservist obligations to the armed forces was deferred and about six thousand policemen under the age of twenty five who were liable to conscription were retained and the police became a "reserved" occupation. After three months the reservists were recalled to the colours and the right to retire on pension was suspended.

By November 1942 about four thousand of the younger policemen had been released from their Forces to be replaced by compulsory conscription into the police in the hardest hit areas. Nationally two hundred and seventy eight members of the police were killed as a result of enemy action whilst with their forces and one thousand two hundred and seventy five police officers serving with HM Forces were killed or died from other causes.93 On the 1 December 1939 Surrey lost sixty Reservists to the Colours.94

Retirement from the Force ceased and the Standing Joint Committee authorised twenty five acting sergeants and the superintendent/DCC was promoted ACC!95

1939, December: Force strength: One chief constable, one assistant chief constable nine superintendents, twenty four inspectors, sixty two sergeants, fifteen acting sergeants, three hundred and forty nine constables making four hundred and sixty one regular officers. They were supported by Police War Reserve three hundred and eighty seven, First Police Reserve forty one, and Special Constabulary one thousand four hundred and sixty three.96

Section House entrance to Surrey Constabulary HQ in 1939.

1939: At the Section House entrance at the back of the old Surrey Constabulary HQ (later Guildford Police Station) off Leapale Road, Guildford. Left to right: Tom Wyeth, Gilmartin, Corney, Cecil Smith, Stan Norton, Dowding, and Clifford Luff.

1940, 9 March: Buckland: Buckland Lodge hit by bombs and a woman was killed, one third of the house and two cars were destroyed. Three other people were wounded.

1940, April: Invasion scares led to the fear of fifth columnists and many reports were made to the police all of which had to be investigated. A Security Department was immediately formed consisting of specially selected detective officers and a tremendous amount of secret and important work was undertaken by them.

1940, May: Huge task at all police stations to register Local Defence Volunteers (Home Guard).

1940: First (temporary) pay rise since 1919:97 For the first time since Desborough, police pay was increased, thanks to five shillings a week supplementary payment to take into account wartime inflation, plus a war duty allowance of three shillings in lieu of overtime. This only applied to men receiving less that £5 a week.

1940: During the Dunkirk evacuation May 27th to June 4th 1940 the public service of trains were withdrawn for nine days around six hundred trains some ambulance trains conveying troops, many in a bad way, traversed the line across the county.98

1940, 30 June: The first bomb fell on Surrey. From 30 June to 31 December 1940 5,668 high explosive bombs were dropped on the Surrey Constabulary area.99

Gas school, Artington, 1940.

1940: At the gas school at Artington. Left to right: Cecil Smith, Clifford Luff, Findon, Stan Norton, Dowding, Gilmartin, Sgt Blackmore, Corney, Tom Wyeth, and Rose.

PC Bruce and PC Bradley, Guildford July 1940, with old faithful, a wolsley 18/85.

1940, July: PC Bruce and PC Bradley, Guildford, with "Old Faithful", a Wolsley 18/85.

Arthur Bruce wrote to Off Beat in January 1980: Bruce and Bradley were in the yard at the police station in Guildford unloading firearms surrendered by the public from the above vehicle when a report came in of parachutists landing at Pitch Hill, Ewhurst.

Without completing the unloading they piled into the car being joined by PCs George Young and Bob Rackham. "I should point out that car drivers were issued with a .303 rifle and five rounds of live ammunition. It was cynically suggested that the four rounds were for the enemy and the fifth being for us."

Arriving at Pitch Hill the only people about were road menders who were not aware of "the invasion". They were given a 12 bore doubled barrelled shotgun and a handful of cartridges each with the injunction to "do their best." The police then drove nearer to the foot of the hill prepared to "repel boarders."

Bert was armed with a revolver, George, armed with Bert's .303, went off in one direction, and Bob armed with a 12 bore and me with my .303. Bob was a little behind me and we had not gone far when from behind there was the report of a 12 bore followed by a surprised "@#@# that is not the safety position!" Thereafter I walked abreast of him.

It was "A false alarm – good intent" – a police term passed down the years.

1940: PC Robert McBrien awarded BEM at great personal risk rescued a woman trapped under the ruins of a house demolished by an enemy bomb at Horsley.

1940, 4 September: Worst attack was on Vickers Works, Weybridge, were bombed and eighty three killed and over four hundred injured. One aircraft on the raid was ... more

1940: Item ref: SCC Archive CC98/11/10: Wadkin family triple murder and suicide.

1940, May: It seemed likely that Britain would be invaded. Although the regular army had rescued many troops from Dunkirk they had to leave their heavy equipment behind. The resulting crisis saw the raising of the Local Defence Volunteers. On 18 May, three hundred volunteers assembled at the county police station in Woodbridge Road, Guildford.

1940: People in Surrey towns complained that in the evening the streets were full of drunken and profane Canadians, mostly making their way back to their barracks which they found so disagreeable.101

1940, August: A string of bombs fell from Goodwyns farm in a north westerly direction up to the railway line below Ranmore in Dorking; fourteen were high explosive of which two did not explode.

1940, 27 August: Twenty high explosive bombs landed on Leatherhead causing damage to several houses.

1940, 30 August: Sixty high explosive bombs fell in a line from Yarm Court to Crampshaw Lane, Ashtead in a daylight raid resulting in five deaths.

1940, September: Three raids one of which bombed the 6th tee at the Leatherhead Golf Club. On the 30th a land mine fell into a garden in Gaywood Road, Ashtead killing four and injuring others. Also that month two cyclists had a near miss when a bomb fell close to them.

1940, 4 October: Brockham: Two houses demolished and five people killed. A number of bombs fell on Nutwood Avenue during Friday night. In one house Mrs Daisy Hetherington, her five year old daughter and Wilfred Biggs an evacuee were killed. In the next house Mrs Ester Fisher and William her younger son age two were killed. Mrs Fisher's elder son aged four and her sister injured. Mrs Hetherington's husband was serving in the RAF and Mr Fisher was away from home on Auxiliary Fire Service duty. Rescue parties worked heroically through the night.

Report from a member of the Mobile First Aid unit called to the scene: There were others underneath, a baby, two women, evacuee boy and a little girl of seven. It was nightmarish unreal sort of scene; the darkness, the dimly seen collapsed houses without a wall standing; the rescue party with torches among the ruins; the rest, about twenty people standing in the road waiting to be of assistance; the searchlights overhead; the buzz of planes and distant ant-aircraft fire. Every now and then the torches had to be put out completely until raiders passed. Two bodies were brought out; a little girl of seven was alive but pinned by her arms and shoulder. She was able to talk quite cheerfully and did not seem too badly injured yet after a long night of trying to rescue her at seven o'clock she became unconscious and died.102

1940, 26 October: Leatherhead: Two high explosive bombs fell on oil storage tanks at the waterworks and burning oil crept through the drains to the River Mole taking nearly twenty four hours to put out.

1940, October 29: Dorking: A bomb hit the corner of Fraser Garden's housing estate killing several people. Box Hill had several large baskets of incendiaries giving what many considered to be a firework display!

1940, 1 November: Dorking: A stick of bombs fell across Dorking from Chart Lane corner of Marlborough Road to Vincent Lane sand pit. The bombs caused considerable damage to buildings but no serious casualties. One did not explode.

1940, November: A string of bombs fell starting at the Vicarage, Vincent Lane, Dorking and going across the water company meadows to the railway.

1940, 29 November: Brockham: A long stick of bombs fell starting at the Barley Mow which was damaged and went to the top of Box Hill where Brockham Warren was hit.

1941: The chief constable reports that serious incidents occurred at many places in the county and the police worked under a heavy strain of prolonged hours of work.103

1941: Surrey Constabulary reinforced another area where they were experiencing severe bombing.104

1941, 4 February: A soldier with an automatic pistol held up the pay box at the Regal Cinema in Farnham on the night of the 4th February 1941 arriving when most of the money had been transferred to the manager's safe. He found only six shillings and eleven pence in the till.105

1941, early: Leatherhead: Incendiary bombs fell in their hundreds from Hawks Hill to Ashtead, some properties lost but fire watchers dealt successfully with most.

1941, 19 March: Leatherhead Two landmines fell killing one and injuring twenty seven causing considerable damage.

1941, 9 April: A Heinkel 111 one of three hundred on route to attack Birmingham was attacked by RAF 264 Squadron and downed at Lodge Bottom, Busbridge Godalming.

1941, May: Dorking: Nineteen high explosive bombs fell in a long line among trees and bracken on Ranmore Common.

1941, 24 May: Dorking: Seven high explosive bombs fell in the Pixham Lane mostly on railway land but without damaging the line.

1941, Christmas: There were numerous battles between British troops and the Canadians. Some pretty bad fights were reported between men of the Black Watch and No 1 Canadian Armoured Corps Reinforcement Unit in Camberley.

It was reported that the adjutant of the Scottish troops told his men not to come back with black eyes but to "Let the Canadians have it." The men went further than their officers intended and took bayonets with them when they went to meet the Canadians who came in trucks into the town. The anticipated fight began and the Black Watch drew their bayonets causing the Canadians to flee the town.

The fight was continued some days later when men from both sides got drunk and fighting took place all over the town with broken bottles being used by the Scots. In the same series of incidents two Royal Canadian Dragoons were knifed and one is said to have died form his injuries although there is no corroboration of this story.106

1941, 16 December: A Dornier 217 in low cloud followed the railway line and machine gunned a commuter train packed with Christmas shoppers outside Bramley Station, killing seven and wounding forty seven. Marguerite Kathleen Leaney, nee Bacon travelled by train to Farnborough, where her husband was on standby with the Tank Corps for embarkation to North Africa, and had not seen their ten week old son.

On her return journey from Guildford that afternoon, a lone Dornier 217 Bomber descended from the clouds looking for an opportunist target as the train was approaching Bramley Station. It was bombed and strafed by machine guns, killing seven and injuring many more. The raider was shortly afterwards pursued by a Beaufighter over the coast and crashed into a gasometer at Bognor killing the four crew members.

Kathleen Leaney was struck in the side of the face by a bullet which shattered her jaw bone and exited from the opposite temple taking out an eye. She also had deep penetration wounds from the glass from the shattered windows. Her son Paul also had glass wounds and she remembered passing him down from the wrecked carriage to a Canadian soldier who helped her on foot along to the station.

She was taken to Park Prewitt Hospital at Basingstoke, where she found herself laying in a dingy cell with a small barred window that was made to house 19th century lunatics. Mrs. Leaney was later transferred to East Grinstead for operations by Alexander Macindoe, the celebrated plastic surgeon.107

Murdeed woman found in The Shelter.

1941, 5 September: Tom Roberts called to Weybridge where the murdered body of an eighty year old woman had been found in The Shelter, Towers Walk. A man had been seen ... more

1941: PC Alfred James Everitt awarded King's Police Medal for Gallantry arresting an armed soldier who from the top of a railway carriage at Dorking attempted to shoot him at close range.

1941: Tony Davie: P.C. Storey was on duty and riding his bicycle in Churt on 16th November 1941 when he fell off. It is not known what caused him to fall and it was dark at the time. As he lay in the road he was run over by a local taxi. ... more

1942, January: The Standing Joint Committee authorised fifty women to be enrolled in the Women's Auxiliary Police Corps - eighty were eventually enrolled.108

1942: Newdigate: (Internet) I was just three years old staying in my aunt and uncle's bungalow in Newdigate, (they were working in a local munitions factory). My mother and baby sister were there from South London with me. It was a lovely sunny day, I was in the garden playing when the Doodlebug engines cut out and it came down in the field next to the bungalow.

The lady (Emily) in the next bungalow gathered me up from the garden and took me into her home and we hid beneath the table, whilst all the soil thrown up from the exploding bomb settled. My mother and sister were trapped beneath a large porcelain sink they had hidden beneath as the roof was blown off the Wood's bungalow by the explosion. My legs were cut by flying glass otherwise I was excited by the event, but mother refused to settle and insisted my father collected us and so we spent the war years, particularly the Battle of Britain period, in the safety of our cellar in Balham.

An armed policeman "Ready for Anything"
Gas mask training in 1943

1942: Ready for anything (left).

1943: Gas mask training (right).

1942, April: A new temporary glass house for Canadians was established at Witley and moved in April 1942 to Headley Down in Hampshire to where six hundred and fifty inmates were moved. In April 1945 the new camp suffered a riot and mass break out which resulted in the deployment of troops and police.

1942, 8 May: The King made a seven hour visit to Armoured Divisions in the area of Boxhill and Pixham, Dorking before inspecting troops on Brockham Green.

1942, 22 May: The King visited Betchworth Lime Works to witness military exercises.

1942, 9 June: The Times: The body of the three month old grandson of Admiral Craig- Waller was found in the lake of Burwood Park, Walton on Thames. The baby had been parked in his pram and was left briefly by his mother who told police she saw a man lift the baby out of the pram. She ran after the man who made off in a motor cycle. Attempts were made to resuscitate the baby without success. Superintendent Curry is Officer in Case.

1942, 1 July: All regular constables of up to twenty five years of age and all Police War Reserve under thirty were de-reserved and their call up followed gradually. One hundred regulars and fourteen Police War Reserves were called to the Colours.109

1942: Wigwam murder of Joan Wolfe on Hankley Common: August Sangret (28 August 1913 – 29 April 1943) was a French-Canadian soldier of native Indian birth who murdered Joan Wolfe in Surrey, England. Two marines on exercise ... more

Sergeant Harwood's Section, Farnham Division

1941-1942: Sergeant Harwood's Section, Farnham Division: Sergeant, three regulars one Police Reserve and Police War Reserves. Standing (l to r): J. Daniels, G. Fletcher, [?]J Field, W. Morris, A. Guy, W. Rowbotham, S. Lord, G. Hurst, A. Stapley; sitting: J. Curtis, H. Gibbs, Harwood,, S. Abel, A. Merritt.

1942, August: A mass Observation Researcher described a meeting in Great Bookham village hall: A local resident informed the well-attended meeting that, in the event of invasion a triumvirate would be set up with himself, Lieutenant N of the Home Guard and Sergeant G of the local police as members. The police would give instructions regarding street leaders. Lieutenant N said the main task of the public was to keep out of the way of the military. "Don't leave the area to go to work."

Sergeant G addressed the meeting reading his speech word for word and very deliberately. "Everyone should obey the police. Police may be distinguished from Fifth Columnists by their warrant card with photo - but at such a time you would be unlikely to have an opportunity to check the constables' bona fides. Get to know your local police." (This raised the biggest laugh of the evening.) Later comments included "Fancy having that man (Sergeant G) giving orders. Why choose the most unpopular man in the district."111

1942: Cherkley Court the home of cabinet minister Lord Beaverbrook at Leatherhead was narrowly missed by a V1 and part of the building caught fire. Later in the war a V1 fell close to the house causing more damage.

1942: Crime Bureau Inspector Tom Roberts promoted Superintendent and additional inspectors appointed to Farnham, Godalming, Weybridge and Woking for detection duties.

1942, 27 December: Police War Reserve Constable George Henry Dalton aged forty died in a collision with a Canadian army vehicle in Church Road Ash on the 17 December 1942 when cycling home from Ash Police Station.

1942, 23 December: Just before Christmas, the 23 December 1942 Horace Burton Baker was attacked with extreme violence in the British Legion Club in Peaslake where he was the steward.112 Douglas George Taylor aged nineteen of Smokey Hole; Peaslake was to be charged with causing grievous bodily harm with intent to murder.

Baker had the top of a finger cut off and a great gaping wound at the back of his head with a total of six deep sharp wounds cutting out a piece of bone from the skull, a wound in an arm down to the bone. On Christmas Day police interviewed Taylor and he said" Oh God! Why did I do it! What will my mother say?"

At Godalming police station he was again interviewed and after caution. "I went home about half past five, had my tea, got the chopper, went over to the club and Barker was alone there. I bought some cigarettes. Then he went out the back and I went out behind him and hit him over the head with the chopper. He struggled then I must have gone mad. He went down on the floor and I took his wallet ----" Police recovered the axe and wallet from where Taylor said he had left them. Baker survived and Taylor received two years in prison.113

1942, 28 December: A raid by two masked men who were Canadian soldiers from Quebec led to a guilty plea to robbery with violence and a sentence of four years penal servitude. The violence was not serious nor the amount of money taken high when the robbery occurred in an inn, the Withies at Compton. The licensee was kicked and punched on the head and a gun was shown. PS Forehead gave evidence that both men had previously been convicted.114

1942, December: Establishment: Regulars 383, Police War Reserve 500, First Police Reserve 43, Special Constabulary 1353, and Woman's Auxiliary Police Corps 57.115

1943: Surrey Joint Police formed from Surrey Constabulary, Reigate and Guildford Boroughs. Their strength on amalgamation: Guildford Borough: chief constable 1, chief inspector 1, inspector 4, sergeant 9, constables 25; total 40. Reigate Borough: 1 chief constable, chief inspector 1, inspectors 5, sergeants 9, constables 23 totalling 39.116

1943, October: Home Office decided police numbers could be reduced – whole time establishment of 930. On the 31 December 1943 the actual establishment was Regular 396, Police War Reserve 468, First Police Reserve 35, SC 1631 and Woman's Auxiliary Police Corps 90.117

1943, 18 November: A man was found at 12.50 a.m. between Dorking and Reigate staggering about in the road. Police were called and the by then unconscious man was taken to Dorking hospital where he soon died. The post-mortem revealed the cause of death as hanging with the rope apparently breaking before the job was complete. No evidence could be found of anyone else being involved and a verdict of suicide on a man whose identity was revealed some weeks later – he came from Wandsworth.

War Reserve 1943, Woking, with PS Bishop.

War Reserve 1943, Woking,
with PS Bishop.

1943, 31 December: Of an authorised regular establishment of six hundred and sixty three there were three hundred and ninety six officers; two hundred and eight in the armed services; twenty eight in the Royal Navy or Royal Marines; one hundred and nineteen in the Army and sixty one in the RAF. Commissions had been awarded to thirty two. Some were reported killed and others missing. All those serving in the military have allowances to make their pay up to police rates if they currently fell below.

1943: Open meetings are restored:118 The ban on Open Meetings of the Police Federation, imposed in 1932, was lifted.

1944: Recorded crime from 31 January 1939 to 1944 had increased by sixty eight percent.

1944: Arthur Boulter: I left the Royal Grammar School in Guildford in 1944 having spent many hours in the air-raid shelters, with a passable school certificate in six subjects, but did not have the opportunity to go to university. I joined the (then) Surrey Constabulary as a non-uniformed 'un-established clerk'. This was my first experience of public service until in 1946 His Majesty called and National Service interrupted it – or extended it – depending on your point of view.119

1944: PC William Charles Tucker and Special Constable William Douglas Reffell were commended for showing great bravery in attempting to rescue an aged woman from a burning building at Gomshall.

1944: Flying bombs, rockets and bombs hit the county. The first one fell on Guildford on Saturday, June 28th at 2.05 pm. It fell in a field near Foxburrow Avenue. A second ... more

1944, 11 April: A train of loaded petrol tanker wagons collided with a light engine at Shalford Station. There was a terrific blaze and some of the tank wagons were under the A281 road bridge, the heat causing the bridge to buckle. Driver Arthur Griffen received the British Empire Medal for dividing the burning train and moving the front part to safety.129

1944, 14 April: The murder of Constance Curtis123 a pretty 17 year old factory worker was investigated by Inspector Springate in April 1944. On May 7th News of the World reported that police in an enquiry led by Detective Superintendent Roberts were trying to trace ... more

1944, June: Redhill: A rocket landed in Earlsbrook Road and St Johns Road killing eleven people and wounding seventeen, blasting forty houses. Many of the victims were buried under their shattered homes and rescue parties and the Civil Defence workers generally worked heroically to get the victims out and to render first aid to the injured. The police did particularly good work and were on long hours at a stretch. Mobile canteens catered to their needs as they toiled through the day. Several hundred of these bombs fell on East Surrey with the greatest concentration in Caterham area. The Royal Philanthropic School at Redhill was severely damaged by a flying bomb in 1944.

1944, 25 Augus: Guildford: A flying bomb caused the death of three women when it struck a house in Aldersley Road. Two died at the time, and the third died later of injuries. "I recall the noise of the doodlebug, which droned to an alarming halt and then just waiting for the crash and explosion and yes, it came! The windows of Tormead and Lanesborough Schools were blown out, and I think some of the replacement windows are still in place today. At home we retreated into our Anderson shelter, made of heavy steel, with a large mattress placed inside."

1944, 27 August: Cranleigh infant school was hit by a V1 flying bomb and demolished. Fortunately this occurred early on a Sunday morning, and the school was empty. The only casualty was the Rector, who was in his garden not far away and was injured.

1944: Inspector Lionel Norman Head and PC Brian Gunning were commended after facing the greatest danger, rescued some of the crew from a blazing RAF bomber which had crashed at Dunsfold.

1944, 7 September: Another Canadian was charged following an attack on September 7 1944 of a lone heavily pregnant young married woman.130 Private Horace R Gordon aged 28 a Canadian Soldier was committed for trial on a charge of murdering by stabbing, Dorothy May Hillman an eighteen year old married woman of less than a year, at Bramley.

The victim who lived with her family in Palmer's Cross, Bramley left home with her dog and walked towards the Leathern Bottle. The accused was seen to cycle near her. Later two airmen found the victim crawling along covered in blood. She had eleven stab wounds to her body and had crawled one hundred yards before being found.

A field service cap was found by the scene owned by Gordon. He said he had come across the woman after she had been attacked and tried to help her and said he left her to go to Cranleigh police to report what he had seen but took the wrong road and went to Hascombe. Detective Sergeant Storr and Detective Constable Gunning on patrol in a car at Hascombe stopped Gordon (he was described as coloured which would have eased identification in public places at that time) and found stains on his clothing. He said he had cut his hand and wiped it on his clothes. He had a khaki handkerchief with what appeared to be blood stains on it. He had an open knife and packets of chewing gum, chocolate wrapping paper and cigarettes.

At the scene of the attack was found chewing gum wrappings and papers from chocolate that could be linked to the suspect. When interviewed and charged Gordon did not deny being at the scene and that he had spoken to the woman who told him she had been attacked. He gave her a piece of chewing gum. He tried to wipe some of the blood off with grass and then his 'kerchief.131

Mrs Hillman lived to give birth to a still born child two days after the attack, make a clear statement of what happened to her and identified Gordon, before dying on the 22 September. At Surrey Assizes Kingston Gordon was found guilty before Mr Justice Humphries, and sentenced to death. Gordon was Jamaican and had a wife and family there.

PC Albert Edwin Enticknap KPM

PC 171 Enticknap

1944: PC Albert Edwin Enticknap awarded King's Police Medal for Gallantry tackled and overpowered an armed housebreaker who had pointed a revolver at him.132 ... more

1945, January: At 4 am on a January morning in 1945, two people were woken at the Moat House, Walton on Thames by two men wearing masks and carrying revolvers. The couple were made to lie face down on their beds whilst they were trussed with electric flex. The robbers tried without success to get the rings of the woman's fingers, and then allowed them to take them off themselves. In a curiously chivalrous gesture, they handed back a wedding ring. They then demanded the combination number of the safe and when the householder refused to give it, they began to beat him with a truncheon. He escaped the worst of this when the doorbell rang and two policemen were seen outside. The intruders fled and one got clear. Arthur Cox, the man arrested was sent to penal servitude for eight years.133

1945, February: A V2 rocket landed close to Freemans School, Ashtead resulting in the windows of fifty houses being broken and one casualty.

1945, 7 May: Germany surrendered unconditionally. Twenty-two members of the Force including Boroughs lost their lives and four were decorated for gallantry.

1945: A report from the Special War Executive for the administrative county of Surrey listed the following incidents: as you read the numbers think every one was an incident that required a police response and the figures do not include the tens of thousands of incendiary bombs and resulting fires or damage.

Event County Dorking UDC Dorking & Horley RDC
Incidents 6,800 123 266
HE Bombs 13,335 267 578
Flying Bombs V1 759 19 49
Rocket Bombs V2 17   1
Persons killed 1,584 25 6
Seriously wounded 3,616 20 36
Slightly wounded 6,243 56 101
Buildings demolished 5,603 15 29
              badly damaged   65 83
              slightly damaged   1,512 2,484


88 Durrant, A.J. (1951). A hundred years of the Surrey Constabulary, 1851-1951, p. 59.

89 Chief Constable (1945). Notes on the administration of the county police during the war.

90 Chief Constable (1945). Notes on the administration of the county police during the war.

91 Surrey County Council, Committee Reports, 1939, pp.1384-1388.

92 [25 January 2010].

93 Critchley, T.A. (1978). A History of Police in England and Wales, Constable, ISBN 0 09 461490 3.

94 Chief Constable (1945). Notes on the administration of the county police during the war.

95 Chief Constable (1945). Notes on the administration of the county police during the war.

96 Chief Constable (1945). Notes on the administration of the county police during the war.

97 [19 January 2010].

98 [25 January 2010].

99 Durrant, A.J. (1951). A hundred years of the Surrey Constabulary, 1851-1951, p. 59.

101 Ingleton, Roy (1994). The Gentlemen at War: Policing Britain 1939-1945, Cranborne Publications, p. 96.

102 Hines, Tony (1995). V E Day + 50: Brockham Village Remembers.

103 Chief Constable (1945). Notes on the administration of the county police during the war.

104 Chief Constable (1945). Notes on the administration of the county police during the war.

105 Thomas, Donald (2004). An Underworld at War: Spivs, Deserters, Racketeers and Civilians in the Second World War, John Murray Publishers Ltd. ISBN-10: 0719563402, ISBN-13: 978-0719563409.

106 Ingleton, Roy (1994). The Gentlemen at War: Policing Britain 1939-1945, Cranborne Publications, p. 333.

107 [25 January 2010].

108 Chief Constable (1945). Notes on the administration of the county police during the war.

109 Chief Constable (1945). Notes on the administration of the county police during the war.

111 Ingleton, Roy (1994). The Gentlemen at War: Policing Britain 1939-1945, Cranborne Publications, p. 96.

112 Surrey Advertiser (1943). (February 6).

113 Surrey Advertiser (1943). (February 6).

114 Surrey Advertiser (1943). (February 27).

115 Chief Constable (1945). Notes on the administration of the county police during the war.

116 Chief Constable (1945). Notes on the administration of the county police during the war.

117 Chief Constable (1945). Notes on the administration of the county police during the war.

118 [19 January 2010].

119 Internet.

123 News of the World (1944). (April 30).

129 [25 January 2010].

130 The Surrey Advertiser and County Times (1944) (October 28).

131 The Surrey Advertiser and County Times (1944) (October 28).

132 Researched by Terry Coltman for Old and Bold.

133 Thomas, Donald (2004). An Underworld at War: Spivs, Deserters, Racketeers and Civilians in the Second World War, John Murray Publishers Ltd. ISBN-10: 0719563402, ISBN-13: 978-0719563409.


Surrey Constabulary badge