1960-61: Formation of the Underwater Search Unit: Richard Bond: Harry Webb was a divisional motorcyclist and he dealt with an RTA at Ranmore Cross Roads involving a civilian who lived nearby. Harry became friends with him and this person had a great interest in scuba diving. Harry became very interested, went diving frequently with him and eventually started a police diving club that ... more

1960s: CID selection: Ron Underwood: Very simply if there was a vacancy a uniform officer was given a trial (Learner). If he performed successfully in due course he was sent on a ten-twelve week course at Hendon or somewhere similar.

1961, May: PS 72 Reginald Callingham awarded the British Empire Medal for Gallantry for brave conduct when he was shot trying to make an arrest.

Jeff Hemmings: I have spoken with Reg Callingham, who tells me:

"I was in charge of a section of seven at Warlingham - it was about midday. I was off duty, although in fact you were on duty all the time. I received a telephone call to report, two 'tearaways' in the village.

I put my uniform on and went to the village and was told that Roland (a step-son of one of the bobbies on my section) and Lake were driving around in a car and had been on drugs. I went to the property where I knew they'd be and arrested them.

One of them said, 'get the gun'. I was struggling with one. The other returned with a twelve bore shot gun. I grabbed the barrel and pointed it towards the floor. The gun went off.

Assisted by others, the youths were arrested and I drove myself to hospital. En-route I felt something warm down my leg and discovered I had been shot in the groin.

Both youths were charged with attempted murder - reduced to grievous bodily harm with intent."

On the same day a similar incident occurred in the Metropolitan Police area. The bobby, in this case, was awarded the George Medal.

Reg goes on to say:

"The BEM (no longer in existence) has a rosette to distinguish it as an award for gallantry as opposed to those 'councillors who got theirs for good work' It was presented by the High Sheriff ('not the Queen') at Caterham Social Club."

Reg is recognised as 'grizzled' and an acerbic character by those who know him. Reg died in January 2010.

John Molyneux: Reg Callingham was shot by the son of PC Jim Rowlands, at Court Farm Caravan Site at top of Tithe Pit Shaw Lane, Hamsey Green, in Warlingham.

1961, 30 May: The Times: Derek John Rowland aged seventeen a labourer of Batts Farm caravan site Warlingham was remanded in custody for a week by the magistrates at Caterham yesterday on a charge of shooting at Police Sergeant Reg Callingham with intent to murder. Inspector Denis Wilson said that when questioned, Rowland said "Yes I regret it now. I only meant to scare him."

1961: Dog Section: Dog Section development: Stan Wood: Bill Redwood was one of those very early dog handlers who saw service in the days of Sergeant Harry Darbyshire; see also Part 2: 1946 and 1948. By all accounts ... more

1961: Guildford: Peter May: When I started at Guildford in October 1961 there was a Hillman Husky (J35) which covered shouts with the motor-cyclist(s). Beats were ... more

1961: Traffic Admin: Peter May (taken from Old and Bold): Eric Spurgeon was the shift sergeant in the Control Room when I was hauled in there as a young PC (with ex-cadet capabilities!) in the 1961-1962 period - just before I was posted to Oxted. ... more

1961, December: Early Days at Camberley: John Stone: I joined in December 1961 and did my training at Sandgate with "punchy" Wallace as the physical training instructor and ... more

1960s, early: Tony Kirton: Exercise Farnham: Back in the early sixties I was on area car patrol with Peter Jones in Farnham at about 10.30 pm. We had a call from Control ... more

1961, 24 November: PC Stanley Charles Cross was killed in a road accident possibly on the old Godalming Division. (See also Robert Cross his son who died in a later accident on duty.) Two officers were on patrol in a police car, which left the road in 1960. PC Cross died of cancer as a direct result of the collision.

1962: Brian Muchmore: the "Boxhill murders": a man Mac/Mc something knifed (I believe) two women near to the stepping stones across the River Mole at the foot of Boxhill. I am not certain about the knifing, it could have been a hammer used. I know it was a messy job.

1962, 2 October: Farnham: Murder of John Francis Gordon allegedly by Samuel Vbroglo Sodje.

1962: Tony Kirton: The Sheerwater Estate at Woking was created to re-house Londoners after the war. Doors were never locked and on Friday nights the husband would hand over his wage packet, his wife would give him his beer and tobacco money and put the rest in the teapot in the kitchen dresser for housekeeping.

Disaster struck one Friday night in 1962 whilst everyone was watching television. A thief raided a number of homes and took the housekeeping money. This happened again a few weeks later. It was decided to flood the area with officers, both CID and uniform, on subsequent Friday evenings (out of sight).

I had just been posted to Woking and didn't know the area at all. I was dropped off near the Six Cross Roads and stood back on the edge of woodland in the dark. After about half an hour I heard the most peculiar noises coming from behind me. 'Rattle, rattle, rattle' then 'whoosh', 'rattle, rattle, rattle' then 'whoosh' again.

I turned and switched on my torch to find that I was in fact standing on a narrow path leading into the woods. The noises continued as I followed the path only to discover that it wasn't woodland but just a belt of trees leading into a clear area with a children's playground. The noises; there was PC ………… with his German Shepherd making it go up the metal steps and then down the slide.

The thief didn't strike again for three weeks but when he did he was caught by a PC and subsequently went to prison.

1962, September: Fred Smith: Circus elephants: Together with other constables, (Frank Beer, Ken Tizard, Mervyn Saunders and Robin Young) I risked life and limb to ... more

1962: Godstone Traffic Department: Tony Forward: In 1962 I was a PC on Godstone Section which was part of Oxted Division. I ... more

1962-64: Radar speed traps: The way we operated the "radar" might be of some interest ... more.

1960s, early: Policing at Woking: Richard Bond: After Initial Training (at Bridgend, South Wales) I was stationed at Woking Police Station, Heathside Road. I arrived ... more

1963: A day in the life of a section motorcyclist: John Thorn: Triumph 500cc; call sign M2HJ J94, stationed at Byfleet Office, Woking Division.

Shifts worked at the discretion of the Section Sergeant Vic. Holman. 8 am to 4 pm, 4 pm to 12 mt, 6 pm to 2 am, 10 am to 1 pm then 7 pm to 12 midnight, 9 am to 1 pm then 8 pm to 12 midnight. We were the workhorses of the division.

Duties included: road traffic accidents (RTA) and fatal accidents, domestics, summons and warrants, enquiries for other forces, statements etc., and unoccupied premises even abnormal loads. You were also expected to get process and arrests.

In addition, and time consuming, I dealt with all sudden deaths on the section and division, if required. I then acted as Coroner's Officer, typed all reports on the office typewriter, delivered reports to the Coroner, Lt. Col. McEwen. Arranged juries for inquests and attended all post mortems; pathologists Dr. Hailer and Professor Mant.

In addition to all this I covered the front office as required. Carried out maintenance on the motorcycle weekly and was expected to keep it in good running order. Not forgetting court attendances.

1963: The working week is reduced:16 The working week was further reduced to 42 hours.

1963: During his European tour, President Kennedy came to Surrey on 29 June 1963, visiting the Runnymede Magna Carta site and the US war memorial at Englefield Green. Surrey Police had to provide a motorcycle escort for the cavalcade at the handover point from the Metropolitan Police at Wraysbury Road Bridge on the A30.

This duty fell to motorcyclist PC John Bowra, who must have felt very isolated seeing the cavalcade approach with several Metropolitan Police vehicles providing an impressive escort. He was asked by plainclothes American security personnel what type of weapon he was carrying and politely informed them: "I wear the Surrey Constabulary standard issue motorcyclist six-inch leather truncheon". Seemingly shocked and agitated, they retorted: "Well, if the wheels come off, get out of the line of fire."

PC Bowra to his great relief proceeded at the head of the cavalcade to the memorial without incident. President Kennedy visited Harold Macmillan's home in Sussex. Large numbers of Surrey officers on aid to Sussex staying at Hobbs Barracks, Lingfield.

John Molyneux: Until about 1970, Gatwick was in Surrey and on Saturday 29 June 1963 a number of us spent the afternoon surrounding the airport perimeter when the US president, John F Kennedy, flew in. I was positioned at the end of the runway when Air Force 1 landed and found out, just before it landed, that it was first time that a Boeing 727 had landed at Gatwick due to the shortness of the runway.

His visit was to stay with the Prime Minister, Harold MacMillan, who lived at Chelwood Gate, Sussex, and left, surrounded by G men, to drive across Ashdown Forest to Birch Grove, the prime minister's country residence.

We were to assist Sussex Police and were billeted at a small army camp at Maresfield. (Now used as a training camp by Sussex Fire Service.) The camp was so small that we managed to drink it dry! (Thirsty coppers plus expenses paid by Sussex Police equals a mess without beer.)

They went to early morning service at Forest Row church and although they were accompanied by numerous armed police we were to follow them in our coach. The coach was clapped out and under powered, so that by the time they reached the church, a distance of about three miles, we were just crossing the forest and never reached Forest Row. The whole episode seems to have been organised, not by a gold or silver commander, but by a white metal alloy ranking officer!

1965, 14 May: Unveiling of Kennedy Memorial: Richard Bond: I remember that all the minibuses and other police vehicles assembled behind the gatehouses each side of the A308 Windsor Road. I think we were given a salad.

The main thing that stands out is that several of us had to keep the public back and form a wide avenue for the dignitaries to come across the grass area onto the main road. The last one to leave was Harold Wilson. The Prime Minister on his own because his car had broken down and there was no bodyguard or other person with him.

So he was between two lines of people and looked a bit uncomfortable. I was quite close to him and he looked straight at me, I looked straight at him, it was almost as if we were staring each other out. Eventually a police car, I think driven by Dennis (Bomber) Brown came to his rescue.

Ray Harlow: There was a big turn out. I was one of two uniformed sergeants, armed and walking behind the VIPs. There were Metropolitan Police Special Branch officers also in attendance and US Secret Service members around us. We walked quite a distance across a carpet which led from the Windsor road to the memorial to be unveiled. On a pleasant note, Jacqueline Kennedy looked ravishing. We had no special briefing and I wondered for days after, "what if?" No doubt SB and the US SS were clued up.

1963, November: Surrey Mobile Column in Sussex: Ray Harlow: This column was based at Shorncliffe Barracks, Folkestone, Kent. Superintendent Ferguson was the column commander and ... more

1963: Bert Field: an appreciation by Bob Bartlett: A cadet in Guildford: (Written following the death of Bert Field in November 2004.) For the first almost two years of my service, a cadet in Guildford, Bert Field was the most important policeman in my life.

Aged just 17, and fresh from being a failed boy soldier, I arrived with one small bag of possessions to move into the section house - with no money. Bert funded me until I was solvent and looked after my interests until I left to become a constable.

I have always looked back on those two years in Guildford as some of the happiest years of my service. Along with Cadets Bartlett and Bleasdale were the more senior Cadets Flanders and Clements and several others who I have forgotten. We made the tea twice a day and tried to be useful working directly to Bert whose boisterous efficiency was impressive.

Superintendent Sellwood was the boss, along with the three Inspector Smiths, HJ, AN, and DJ working to Chief Inspector Friedersdorf. Bert was the man who organised the administration kept the books, the Impress account; knew everything, sat at the hub. The intercom on his desk would ping and it was usually the superintendent or one of the senior officers needing Bert's advice or help.

A good man, a kind man and certainly an efficient one who wielded the CANCELLED stamp with gusto, as those who worked with him closely, sometimes and best avoided, but will never be forgotten. He was a good, kind man, and an excellent administrator.

1963: Farnham Traffic Department: John McLaren Bartlett: I joined Traffic in July 1963. I had a week's experience with Traffic during my probation. Norman Lampard ... more

1963: Scenes of crime Officers: John Molyneux: Prior to 1963 there was no specific Scene of Crime Officer, most crimes being handled by ... more

1963: Police Cadet Bob Bartlett: I came to in Surrey in the very cold and snowy winter of February 1963. It had taken about six months from leaving the army ... more

1963: Guildford: Radio in a CID car: A significant change was the introduction of a radio into the one and only Criminal Investigation Department car, a Morris 1000. A radio, so never again would a detective not be available when needed. How wonderfully naïve!

There were now three wireless cars on the Guildford Division, the sergeants', Criminal Investigation Department, and J35 a Hillman Husky estate. In addition there was the Triumph 350 or was it 500cc divisional motorcycle, the real workhorse of the station.

In 1963 Mervyn Saunders and Fred Smith were the main men, and how hard they worked. It was these two who dealt with most of the sudden deaths and the majority of the paper enquiries that came in from other Forces.

1963, 8 August: Train robbers make off with millions: Thieves have ambushed the Glasgow to Euston mail train and stolen thousands of pounds. Banks estimate ... more

1960s: Urgent messages: When on patrol, in those cars or on motorcycles fitted with radio, or even when working in the Station Office, attention was attracted to the radio operator when the call ... more

1963, New Year's Eve: Guildford: Bob Bartlett: The traditional large crowd gathered in the High Street near to Tunsgate and around the clock. Soon there were so many the road was blocked and traffic control was put in place to divert cars and motorcycles away from the area.

It was noisy, boisterous and threatening. Young men were trying to climb the front of the Guildhall and get out onto the clock and police were trying to stop them but, there were not enough police for the task. They must have been stretched as I was there and I was a cadet! There was a lot of threatening, pushing and shoving but I do not remember any hands on violence against the police.

At one stage I was in a shop doorway with PC, I think Sid, Warren, trapped by threatening youths. It was pretty unpleasant and Sid decided to get out his whistle and give a long blast, something he then said to me "Almost thirty years of carrying it and that is the first time it has been blown!" Assistance came.

I was far to low down the pecking order, and time has passed to remember if it was an annual event and how many police were deployed but it was the first time I had been involved with an angry crowd.

1964, 27 February: Roy Stallard: The Sands murder and suicide: I was the divisional motor cyclist and scenes of crime officer. Information had been received that the local paperboy had not attended for work and had not arrived at school; we were asked to check the home address.

I went in the house and found that he had been murdered in his bed by slashing both his wrists. His mother was in her bed with severe injuries to her head and was obviously dead. Her injuries had been caused with a three branched boot-menders last. The husband had sat in a chair in the living room and blasted himself through the mouth with a shotgun.

I remained at the scene where I was met by Detective Sergeant Andy Ives and I remained with him to carry out scenes of crime duties. This was quite a traumatic experience with the amount of blood involved. The smell remains in my memory forever. Needless to say counselling was not heard of in those days, we just got on with the job.

Brian Muchmore: Man named Whittle, owned The Sands post office store, bludgeoned his wife and son in their beds, then shot side of his face out with a shotgun.

John Doward: I was born and brought up in the Sands and lived there until I got my first police house at Frimley in 1965. Brian Muchmore and his wife Sylvie (ex WPC) lived in one of the two police houses in the village at the time of the murders, (PC Ron Goodburn lived in the other one).

Brian said that the murderer owned the village post office store, but that's not quite true. William (Bill) Whittle (the village builder) and his wife and daughter owned the shop having taken over from his parents (old Teddie Whittle who ran it when I was growing up). The murders were committed by Bill's brother Norman, who lived in a cottage just up the lane from the shop.

Austen the paperboy was an only child and a very happy young lad, always whistling away when he delivered our morning paper, his father Norman worked at Crosby's timber yard in West Street Farnham (later to become "Crosby Doors". The village shop closed some years ago and became part of the adjoining house that Bill Whittle had built for his family when they took over the shop, and in fact his daughter Sheila and her husband still live there today.

Andrew Hasted: In 1964 I had applied to join the Metropolitan Police Cadets but they turned me down. I then applied to join Surrey Police cadets and was accepted. ... more

1960s: Police Cadets: Dave Vigar: These memories are not about all those significant and exciting things which happened in the Force and which have already been well documented - just the opposite, in fact! My police career began in autumn 1964 at Mount Browne. ... more

Dorking Traffic Centre: Surrey Constabulary had five Traffic Centres, of which Dorking (designated E4) at Spital Heath was the first to close. The buildings stood ... more

Redhill Police Station stood in London Road opposite what is now the Memorial Park, and which in those days was the town sports ground, hosting a quite well-respected minor league football team. The building was previously the Redhill fire station ... more

1964: Richard Bond: When I see today's Police Officers on duty with their stab-proof vests, personal radios, cell phones etc., I sometimes think back to one particular night duty in Woking in about 1964 or 1965. For various reasons after 2 am the total number of Policemen on duty in the whole of Woking Division was two, Vic Smyth, the Station Officer and me.

Normally on a night shift there would be four or five out on foot and two in a car. This night there was no Sergeant, no Inspector, no crime car (J40); nobody from Knaphill, Ripley or Byfleet offices. Woking Division then stretched from Pirbright to Woodham, Byfleet to Mayford, West End to Ripley and included Horsell, Old Woking, Maybury, Pyrford, Horsell and Sheerwater. (Goldsworth Park was just a stretch of horticultural/agricultural land).

I was not authorised, at that time, to drive Police vehicles and communication was by the point system. Between 2 am and 7 am there were no incidents reported. (Not even a burglar alarm as far as I remember.) Probably not a unique occurrence, but I wonder if anyone else remembers being outside on duty, on their own, unsupervised, in such a large Division. (There was of course cover by Chertsey Traffic Department, but Woking town rarely saw them in that era!)

1964: Traffic Department: Colin Campbell: I was Cadet 27 at Burpham Traffic Centre (HTB) in 1964. The Inspector was George Young and the sergeants were ... more

1964 Saw the first appearance of the Surrey Puma. A man picking blackberries at Munstead, near Godalming, was confronted by a wild animal that spat at him. ... more

1965: Ash Vale Train Murder: Alan Fletcher: A murder occurred on a train from Aldershot and the body dumped out of the carriage in the Ash Vale area. I think that was about 1964 or 65. The murderer lived in the bungalow that was next to the Jolly Farmer at Runfold.

Chris Kay: The murderer was probably Patrick Jenner. I think he walked into Aldershot police station (as a concerned citizen) and reported seeing the body on the line. The woman's name escapes me but it was a stabbing and I think Dave Venn found the knife.

Brian Muchmore: Murder on the train was committed by a lad named Patrick Jenner who lived with his parents in cottage alongside Jolly Farmer at Runfold. Not sure if it was reduced to manslaughter.

Tony Davie: the body in the Ash Vale murder was not thrown out of the train, the knife was. I was on that case with other CID officers at Camberley. Dave Venn found the knife when we walked the track from Ash Vale.

Dave Strudwick Scenes of Crime Officer: The body was definitely on the track side. Jenner's fingerprints were found on the inside of the carriage and half a railway carriage was taken to court as an exhibit.

John Doward:I had been posted to Farnham from Training School Sandgate a week before this murder was committed. It was my eighth day on duty the second of my first week of nights and I was on foot patrol in East Street with PC Carl Scrivener when we were called back to the police station about midnight.

Carl spent the rest of the night sitting in the cells with the door of the cell open where Jenner was being held. I was sent back out on foot patrol on my own for the rest of the shift and never had a "Tutor Constable" again. (I think it was called being thrown in at the deep end in those days.)

The next three nights I spent sitting guard on the train which had been brought to the railway sheds at Wrecclesham for Scenes of Crime Officers to do their examinations.

Jenner lived with his parents in a cottage at Runfold along near Whiteways Corner on the edge of the then hop fields near the junction of the A31 and Seale Lane (not next to the Jolly Farmer Pub). For what it's worth, both I and retired Sergenat Dave Timmins went to school with Jenner at Badshot Lea School, in the early 1950s, and on his first appearance in court after being charged with the murder I was handcuffed to him in court.

1965: Farnham Division: Murder – R v Patrick Jenner.

1965: Bob Murray: Cadet Duke of Edinburgh expedition: The ex-cadets amongst readers will recall with mixed emotions their Duke of Edinburgh's Award expedition to ... more

1965: The First Course, No. 6 District Police Training Centre Nutfield: Ken Hewitt: I joined the Surrey Constabulary in late 1965. I had seen an advert in the Surrey Herald to join the police, which included that 'Free housing would be provided'. ... more

1965: Guildford Police Station and Section House: Colin Campbell: I went to No 6 District Police Training Centre, Sandgate in December 1964 and after thirteen weeks of initial training was posted to Guildford police station, ... more

1965, 14 May: David O'Connell: Kennedy Memorial: The whole Kennedy clan together with Her Majesty the Queen and Prince Phillip attended the unveiling of the Kennedy Memorial at Runnymede to commemorate President John F Kennedy.

He had not long previously visited this country for talks with the then Prime Minister Harold McMillan. He had made a very big impact not least because he had cut such a young looking figure standing beside the venerable Harold McMillan who was not slow to express his admiration for the newly elected President of the United States.

The chief constable was then Lt Col Herman Rutherford referred to as The Colonel but who himself insisted in being referred to as Mr. Rutherford, perhaps the last 'officer and a gentleman' to hold the rank. He was also in attendance at Runnymead and in the official welcoming party.

All went well when the large crowd that had come one would have to say mostly to view the Kennedy clan, gathered in lovely sunshine on the route to the memorial and around the vicinity of the Memorial. The crowd was about ten deep in places. Runnymede was in the old Weybridge division and the local police were supplemented by officers from Woking that included myself and Farnham Divisions for the purposes of crowd control. Probably there were in excess of one hundred officers present.

The crowd was very good natured but when they saw the Kennedy's car arriving to take the family away and the Royal cars taking up position the crowd rushed to get a closer look. The ten deep crowds gathered around and in the vicinity of the memorial became a three deep crowd lining the road spreading out for about half a mile.

Nobody had briefed for this eventuality so it was left to the officers on duty to use their own initiative to control the situation. Both the car containing the Kennedy family and the royal car were halted by the crowd. Maurice Jackman then a uniform inspector at Egham in the best FBI tradition was on the running board of the royal car shouting, 'Make way for Her Majesty!'

As the car neared me a photographer jumped out of the crowd and forced open the royal car door. I told the photographer to step back; he did not and placed his camera in a position inside the door pointing towards Her Majesty the Queen. It could have been a gun so I pulled him back by his shoulder and told him to get away.

At this another photographer tried to attract the attention of Inspector John Lowman who was walking towards the car saying 'I saw that, there was no need for that the PC should be disciplined', meaning me. John Lowman was a big man about 6'6" tall broad and walking on flat feet. He majestically turned towards the potential complainant, drew himself up to his full height and said, "Bugger Off!" No green folder, advice given.

There were no untoward incidents and the great and the good got away without mishap.

1965, Summer: Guildford Division: Bob Bartlett: I was very pleased to be back in Guildford as 938 after a brief dalliance with the Metropolitan Police, although my stay ... more

1965, 3 September: Gatwick Train murder: Incident Room run by DS Nick Carter

Clive Stanbury: I was a very new PC with some six months service. I was posted from Woking to Horley in May 1964 and at some stage was employed for two or three nights guarding the train, I believe it in the sidings at Gatwick. I think CID officers at Horley then were DS Searle, Detective Constable Jock Amos and Detective Constable Dave Garrigan.

John Molyneux: The Gatwick train murder was in September 1965. A girl, about sixteen years old, was murdered on a train somewhere between Horley and Three Bridges. PC Les Curtis and I did house-to-house enquiries at Three Bridges, Crawley on Friday and Saturday, 17 and 18 September 1965.

1966, 28 July: The Times: A man was charged with the murder of Mrs Patricia Woolard aged twenty eight a schoolteacher, who was found stabbed to death on a train at Gatwick on the 3 September last year. Detective Chief Superintendent John Place was SIO.

1965: Dave O'Connell: A 12 year old daughter of an army officer was attacked and raped whilst she walked through the top of Brookwood cemetery on her way home having got off a train at Brookwood station. Her attacker was soon identified as a guardsman from the depot called Orchard; he had gone absent. He was a big man over six feet two inches tall and broadly built. The girl was a young twelve year old.

Orchard was circulated as wanted and was stopped by plain clothes officers of the Metropolitan Police whilst crossing Waterloo Bridge. He tried to resist arrest but unfortunately for him the arresting officer a sergeant in the Metropolitan Police was the Commonwealth and European amateur boxing champion. I have sadly now forgotten his name. Suffice to say the arrest was successfully completed. Orchard's complaints were ignored!

He was returned to Woking where an identity parade was held. Given Orchard's size and build the only place that ten other men of equal stature could be found was at the Guards Depot. The only witness was of course the young girl who had been raped; she still bore the bruises of the attack. When she immediately identified Orchard, the men standing on the parade made to move towards him.

In those days of course most police officers had been in the services. Detective Constable Ernest Bish himself standing six feet six inches an ex-military policeman called the parade to attention and the men, being subject to military discipline, responded whilst Orchard was ushered out of the room. He was convicted and received a lengthy prison sentence.

1965: Haslemere: Tony May: After leaving Traffic Dept in 1965 I was posted to Haslemere as a newly promoted Sergeant. Sergeant Roy Jenkins was my opposite number and ... more

1965: Dorking Division: Bob Bartlett: In the middle 1960s policing had not changed much since Victorian times. The principles were the same and but for the use of ... more

1965, October: PS 651G Breckell, DC 394 W Spencer, and PC 364 A. Newman awarded the Queen's Commendation for Brave Conduct when they prevented a mentally deranged youth from throwing himself from the top of a seventy foot high cinema roof. During the rescue the officers fell through the roof sustaining minor injuries.


16 http://www.polfed.org/aboutus/69DD9AB47F534348AD5D1415843163AA.asp [19 January 2010].


Surrey Constabulary badge