1970–1973: Ash Section: Bob Bartlett: In the spring of 1970 I was posted as a rural sergeant to Ash, on the Farnham Division. The area was rough and ... more

1970s, early: The Old Police Station at Woking: 1970s Early Ann Carter: I wonder how many people who served at the Old Nick in Woking will remember the Divisional Office, which was housed upstairs in a very small office. It would not be allowed these days ... more

1971, March: a new PC earned about £1,023 a year, which was thought not to be very much. He, as it was mostly he, still would not be allowed to buy his own house until he had served for nine years. This was to allow the chief constable to post an individual anywhere in the county on a whim, or for discipline or "career development" as it was usually referred to.

WPCs in the 1971 new uniform

1971: New Uniform: Rear left to right: Dianne Mahan, Wendy White, Sue Baker, Clare Weedon, Rose Murray, Marilyn Bolton, Pam Stevens, Sandra Nunn, Sue Beams;
Middle: Sue Matthews, Jenny Spry, Gwen Crossan, Marilyn Fisher (Parsons), Pauline Witham (Lambert), C Hessian, Helen Spence (Ewence), Geraldine Winnett (Davies), Angela Somner, Pat Enock;
Front: W/Supt Peggy Sandford, W/Inspector Jenny Futter.

1971: The police struggle to maintain pay standards:19 Inflation and manpower shortages continued to dominate police negotiations. The largest ever negotiated increase in pay at the beginning of the year had to be followed by a further interim award to maintain pay standards.

1971: Gatwick Airport: Ray Harlow: When I was posted to Horley in the then Reigate Division in 1971, Gatwick Airport was within the Surrey Constabulary ... more

DS Gordon Ellerby 1971


1971: DS Gordon Ellerby: (left)


1971, September: Leatherhead Golf Club Murder: This murder enquiry was led by Detective Superintendent Peter Shemming from the Metropolitan Police, New Scotland Yard Murder Squad, ... more

1971: John Molyneux: The old Reigate Division: I came to Reigate/Redhill/Horley at the end of 1971 and although I was nominally posted to Horley, living at Sidlow meant that when they ... more

1971, February: Guildford: Chris Farmer: Roof-top scrambles were common activities at around that time, the early 1970s. This got me to thinking of some of the potentially dangerous nocturnal activities that used to occur during a quiet night on the town in Guildford years ago.

The "town men" used to spend a fair amount of time clambering around the roof tops in the town centre. This was ostensibly to try to catch the local climbing breakers about their nefarious activities, but as often as not, it was to warm up against the boiler flue outlet on the roof of Harvey's on a cold night.

Whilst still a very new probationer, I became aware of a theory that it was allegedly possible to get from Swan Lane all the way up to Market Street over the roof tops without returning to ground level. I do not recall how I came by this information: it may have come from my (excellent) parent constable, Derek Cordery, or maybe from one of the other established officers.

Whether there was any truth in the story I don't know - it may have been no more than an opportunity to wind up a gullible young probationer who at that time had never even heard of the expression "toe-rag"! In any event, being at that time very fit and agile, I attempted the passage, but was defeated by a significant light-well halfway across the roof of Harvey's.

Another recollection from the early years on night duty as one of the Guildford "town men" was visiting the bakery at the rear of the Corona Cafe in the High Street for a seemingly endless supply of the most gorgeous doughnuts I have ever had - straight out of the fryer, and still so fresh that the jam was almost too hot to consume!

I was frequently surprised when going into the bakery for a "warm" and a doughnut on a quiet night to find most of the night crew in there. However, it served a purpose: when returning to Guildford some years later as one of the patrol inspectors, I was sometimes disconcerted not to be able to find any of the town officers on their allotted beats, but I generally knew where to find them!

A bomb found under Lady Beaverbrook's car 1971

1971, May 4: Bomb found under the car of Lady Beaverbrook at Cherkley Court, Leatherhead was left by the Angry Brigade. Lady Beaverbrook's high-profile in British society and the publicity from her philanthropic work resulted in a near tragedy. The device was detected before it exploded. Officers in the photo alongside are: Brian Hopkins, [probably John Over], Paddy Doyle, Sergeant Blason.

Special crime information on Frederick Sewell wanted for the murder of Superintendent Richardson

1971, August: It is not often that a police superintendent is shot dead on duty. However in Blackpool in August 1971 Superintendent Richardson was shot dead. The main suspect was Frederick Joseph Sewell who had a family member living at Cowshot Manor, Brookwood. A raid on the house was mounted. The police firearms response was not overly professional or well equipped with reliance upon the police firearms club, with some extra training to do the job.

There was a notorious story from the raid when a detective given a pistol was heard to ask how it was to be loaded! There was also the very allegedly unprofessional action of Superintendent Maurice Jackman who is said to have taken a gun from the seized property store at the police station and led a charge across the lawns of Cowshot Manor shouting "Charge!" It was just as well that Sewell was not there. He was later arrested in Holloway in London on the 7 October 1970.

1971 saw the first section of the M3 opened in Surrey from Frimley to Lightwater and in June 1972 a new Range Rover fitted with the latest equipment was introduced specifically to patrol the motorway. With future motorways scheduled for Surrey, two replacement traffic centres were to be built, at Burpham and Godstone, eventually replacing the traffic centres at Farnham and Dorking. There was also Chertsey Traffic centre.

Dave Mason with £30,000 of recovered silver


1971: Dave Mason (left) with £30,000 of silver recovered at Addlestone.

1971: A sixteen year old subnormal (sic) Woking youth was ordered at Surrey Assizes last week to be detained under her "Majesty's Pleasure" after a jury found him unfit to plead. He was accused of murdering Mr Allan John Ball aged twenty six of Guildford at Botleys Park Hospital, Chertsey on March11th with whom he was sharing a ward.20

1971, 26 March: A total of 112,343 passengers were searched at Gatwick in hi-jack hunt and many items seized and currency offences involving over £11,000 were revealed.

Marilyn Parsons: A team of police women had to go to Gatwick airport on twelve hour shifts for three months searching passengers after the aircraft high jacking of that time. That was when Gatwick airport was in Surrey. There was no security for passengers and we had to body search the passengers and their hand luggage for every aircraft that left the terminal. They gave us the VIP lounge to sit in between flights. It was from the end of September until at least Christmas that year.

1971, 3 August: Daily Express: A banker and his wife were shot dead by a shotgun blast in Slines Oak Road, Woldingham. On arrival police found Mr Stanley Kennedy and his wife Daphne dead. On the pavement they saw William Hall who lifted the gun to his head and fired and he too died.

1972: Pension scheme overhauled:21 A major review of the police pension scheme brought improvements to the benefits payable to widows and children and contributions went up by 7%. The three year 'averaging' introduced in 1949 was reduced to one year.

1972: Control Room: Marilyn Parsons: I was in the control room in 1972/3, when it was situated in the room over the front entrance at Mount Browne. There were about five police officers per shift, including a sergeant and Bill Murray was the inspector on my shift. There were two civilian operators, Francis and one other.

We all took it in turns to answer the 999 calls and then we would have a stint on the radio, J1 and J2. The emergency calls used to be allocated to the traffic cars and they were directed towards the incident and told what it was by way of a code 10/7 was a non-injury RTA, 10/8 an injury accident, 10/9 a burglar alarm. 10/1 log on, 10/2 make a land line call to, 10/3 go to a destination, 10/4 temporarily off line, 10/5 arrived and dealing, 10/6 was to log on after an incident, and 10/10 log off.

During nights the Bank of England cash train would pass through Surrey taking the old notes to be destroyed somewhere and we tracked it from border to border. There was also radio-active waste trains moved at night.

1972, March: Brian Carroll: Murder at Weybridge near the railway station in the 1970s when I was a DC which dates it around 1971/2. It was dealt with ... more

1970s: Jamie Donaldson: A woman from Witley reported her daughter aged three missing from the house. This was about 11 am after Mum and the neighbours had searched the house. Police arrived and searched the house – no child. I was called as Scenes of Crime Officer and joined the local chief inspector who asked me to search the house as he organised a large-scale search. I think it was Jack Warner who found the child in Mum's bed fast asleep under the blankets of an unmade bed – fast asleep. SEARCH MEANS SEARCH!

1972, 22 February, 12.40 pm: IRA Aldershot mess bomb killing seven people including five women and a priest. Aldershot barrack bomb which was first in UK during that ... more

1972, June: Bob Bartlett: The mists of time have dimmed the reason why, but someone decided that there would be a major policing event at the Bramshill Police College ... more

1970s: Woking Police station: Ann Carter: I can still remember my first day at Woking nick, although it seems a very long time ago now. My first meeting with ... more

1972, September: Farnborough Air Show: UK's worst air crash kills 118: All one hundred and eighteen people on board a flight from London Heathrow to Brussels died when the airliner crashed minutes after take-off. The British European Airways ... more

1973: IRA bomb: There was an explosion but a lucky escape. Every summer the Household Cavalry would come from London with their horses and camp out on the Ranges at Stoney Castle. This was to be a holiday in the country for the horses.

Late one night a small bomb was thrown into a tent close to the road from a passing car on the adjoining road. Fortunately it was a stores tent and no one was hurt but of course it added to the general threat level and concern for the safety of the military establishments and personnel.

Malcolm Sutton: It was believed to be two hand grenades thrown into a tent as a "drive by". No one was hurt as it was a stores tent!

Mervyn Saunders: I was PRO at the time as John Hurst was on a command course at Bramshill and I did attend the scene, but I can only recall the chief turning up and an excellent breakfast courtesy of the army. The rest of it is a blank I am afraid. I don't believe the press were allowed near the scene, so I must have done a press release from HQ afterwards.

1970s: Bob Sinden: There was a murder on Ash Ranges in a small tent where one young man was stabbed by another - a couple of men I believe. I had hardly any involvement and cannot put a date to it.

Keith Simmonds ex 619: I can't recall the date but I was on traffic (HTB) with another officer. We attended a report of a man stabbed on the ranges; as we arrived a range warden directed us towards the butts and as we drove up there was a man lying on the track, face down, with no clothes on and with a large knife sticking out of his back. He was alive and we called for the ambulance to come to us.

There was a shout from the butts and we found a Canadian soldier with an automatic rifle which he had firmly pointed under a man's chin; the assailant. We arrested him and the story came out later.

The attacker was on release from Broadmoor and had been given a tent and some supplies, he had his tent pitched near the scene and had gone to nearby shops to get some milk. On his way walking back he was offered a lift by the victim who he invited back to his tent. He showed the victim a porn magazine in the tent and went outside. The victim was playing with himself in the tent when he was stabbed in the back.

The victim ran away from the scene, screaming, to where we found him. His screams alerted the soldier who was just about to do some live firing. He saw the attacker and apparently loosed off some shots over his head at which the man surrendered to him.

Both Colin and I and the soldier had to go to the Old Bailey for the trial which we were dreading as it was the first time for us. However, we gave our evidence and the Judge was not interested in anything the defence barrister had to say and repeatedly stopped him trying to cross examine us.

The sentence was returned - to Broadmoor indefinitely and the whole trial took just minutes. However the victim also gave evidence so unless he died subsequently it was a wounding, not a murder.

1973: Oxted: PC Chris Kersey was shot in the face and a siege followed broken by deploying CS Gas ... more

1973: One Saturday afternoon on Ash Ranges a fatal accident. Three members of the Territorial Army had been travelling cross-country in a Landrover when it rolled over in a gully, trapping the men. Petrol leaked and slowly dripped onto the engine causing the vehicle to explode in flames killing all three men. The vehicle was burnt out and when it was recovered the head of one of men fell out and rolled down in the gully, which they had just driven up. It was not very pleasant. When the chassis was dragged from the gully the bodies had to be recovered and were put into the back of a three-ton army lorry for transfer across the ranges to the mortuary at the Cambridge Military Hospital in Aldershot. The task was grim.

1973: Woking Division Station Sergeant/Patrol Sergeant: Bob Bartlett: The police station building in Woking was the worst in the county. It was a large very old-fashioned red brick building on the edge of the town centre, in need of ... more

1970s, early: There were two incidents on the Ranges resulting in death. One a mounted military policeman was hit by a stray bullet and another when a builder up scaffolding at Deepcut Barracks fell and was found to have a fatal bullet wound.

1973, 10 August: Murder of Harold Benjamin Camberley.

1973, 21 August: Alan Fletcher: I was involved with a murder where a little girl surname Watts was murdered by her uncle and her body, found by Roy Stallard I think it was, hidden under bushes on the Basingstoke canal bank off of Shawfield Road.

Derek Dearmer: The 1970s murder of the girl Watts. Her name was Tracy and I was the Coroners Officer in this case. I seem to remember she was seven or eight and we had been searching the bank when Roy Stallard found her little body. Chief Superintendent Trussler was on the scene when the body was found and as the nearest sergeant to hand I was given the job. It was a very distressing case for all involved and the post-mortem at Farnham Hospital was especially harrowing. As you say, an uncle was convicted of her murder.

Roy Stallard: A girl's body was found by the canal; the murder of the seven year old Tracy Watts occurred on the 21st August when she and her sister were picking blackberries along the Ash canal with their uncle, Malcolm Fletcher. The elder girl returned alone and I believe Fletcher said that Tracy had gone off on her own. She was reported missing and a search was set up involving the dog section.

By early evening she had not been found and the search was extended involving CID. I went to begin a search along the lower part of the embankment and noticed some vegetation had been disturbed and on investigation found her body hidden under a small wigwam of branches. Dr Auger attended to certify death.

I preserved the scene until Dr Pullar, the pathologist arrived. I then went with him and the body to Farnham hospital. I was later present when Michael John Fletcher was visited by Mrs Fletcher when he broke down and admitted the killing. He was later convicted and I believe committed to Broadmoor.

Many years later after my retirement I was interviewed by officers from Hampshire because he was suspected of a similar offence involving a young woman, who had also been hidden under a wigwam of branches. I have heard nothing more about it.

1973-76: Cranleigh Section: Rural Sergeant at Cranleigh: Bob Bartlett: A small town that had to be referred to in the presence of locals as a village, bordering Sussex, in the centre of a large rural area that included parts of the Surrey Hills. This was a very wealthy area; ... more

1973, July: Off Beat: Reigate officers PCs Robert Lampard and Pamela Sweetman were commended by Judge Argyle and awarded £25 each. They were patrolling Reigate when they were attacked by three youths and both badly beaten with PC Lampard knocked unconscious. The Judge said both officers showed considerable courage.

1973, 28 September: On Friday the 28th September tragedy hit the dog section when a handler, 'Dickie' Daborn, was drowned off duty whilst fishing. PC Daborn was a dog handler at Godalming and lived with his family in the police house in Shackleford. He had gone with his father to the south coast on a fishing trip.

It is believed his father was swept into the sea by a huge wave and Dickie went in after him to get him out. Tragically both were drowned. Dickie had recently returned off holiday from abroad and he had picked up an infection, which left him rather weak. The tragic accident happened off the West Arm at Newhaven. It is thought that a Metropolitan Police officer tried to rescue them both. He was cremated at the Guildford crematorium.

Stan Wood: Dick was a first class dog handler also very popular and I classed him as a very good friend. Prior to the tragedy Dick and family had holidayed abroad and somehow Dick had picked up an infection that had laid him low. He was bedridden for several weeks. He had returned to work but was still not strong in health.

It was at this time that Dick and his father went on a fishing trip to I believe Newhaven. They were fishing off a groin when Dick's father was hit by a wave and swept into the rough sea. Dick with no thought for his own safety dived in fully clothed but was unable to save his father. Dick had been a good swimmer and before joining the Dog Section had been on the Surrey Constabulary Underwater Section.

Whether he would he have survived if he had been fully fit one will never know. We lost a first class officer in the prime of his life and a good friend to many of his colleagues. He left a wife and two daughters. His funeral was at Guildford Crematorium which as can be expected was packed with many of us standing outside.

1974: Len Phillips: I attended a caravan home at Holmwood with DC Standen and other officers where an elderly female widow was found dead in her bed with blood all over the place. We arrested a man called Kay who lived on the site and was on bail from Sussex for indecent assault on two elderly women. He admitted the offence and was eventually convicted of manslaughter on the grounds of diminished responsibility.

John Milner: an old lady who was murdered in her caravan on Rickwood Caravan Park, Beare Green, by the resident of another caravan on the same site. I can't remember her name but his was Danny Kaye.

1974: Police National Computer operational: Major improvement in police efficiency as previously vehicle registration records were kept by county or county borough councils, requiring officers trying to trace car owners, to telephone individual councils where a vehicle was registered to obtain owners details. Night time, in emergencies, police officers would have access to search the council records or had to call out an official.

1974: Tony Forward: Surrey Constabulary Open Days: When Lionel Attwood and I were both chief inspectors, we were asked on two occasions to act as commentators for the "Surrey Constabulary Open Days". These were two day events held on the sports field at Mount Browne to which the public were invited in 1974 and 1976. They were very well attended events.

There were crime and traffic exhibitions, a motorcycle team display, a dog display and a grand finale involving every branch of the force, arriving on cue in the arena. We took it in turn to commentate on what was going on. Photographs were taken including one of Lionel and me at the commentary table on the bank above the sports field and they appeared in the next edition of Off Beat.

A couple of weeks later, I was called to the chief's office and promoted to superintendent. Lionel swore that someone had given the chief a copy of the photograph of the two of us and that it had been printed back to front. "Promote the one on the left" said the chief. The DCC used the photograph that appeared in Off Beat, in which I was shown on the left and so I got the promotion!

1974, January: WPC 55 Jackie Parish awarded the Queens's Commendation for Brave Conduct for disarming a woman wielding a knife.

1974, 6 July: Murder and attempted murder of police officers: PCs John Schofield and Ray Fullalove were on routine patrol in Caterham with PS Harley Findlay when they ... more

1974, 5 October: Just before 9 pm on Saturday a massive explosion caused by a terrorist bomb ripped apart the Horse and Groom Public House in North Street, Guildford. Some ... more

1974: At about the same time of the IRA attacks in Guildford? The murder of Maud Cox at Effingham: Brian Carroll: Believed in the 1970s and dealt with by Ron Underwood. Remains unsolved and every time I see Ron he bemoans the fact a sticking plaster that had blood on it and found at scene has been lost from exhibits. He felt modern DNA techniques might have advanced the case. I'm not sure who else was on murder squad but Paddy Crossan may have been.

Robin Boyd: I and Dick Chivers were the first officers on the scene. Unfortunately we were never interviewed about it, as a certain senior officer decided that we had been on duty long enough and would be incurring too much overtime. We were replaced by CID officers and we were sent off duty. I went on leave on leave the next day and was never interviewed.

The body was initially discovered by a female neighbour. There was some suggestion of the neighbour having 'done a little tidy up' while awaiting our arrival. For me she was far too calm. I would have expected a bit of wringing of hands, etc., but then again she was the domineering type. I do remember being asked later if we had used the toilet while awaiting the arrival of the squad, as the toilet seat was apparently raised. That was a bit insulting professionally, but necessary.

Len Phillips: I was the detective chief inspector at Dorking and was involved with Ron Underwood; Hoppy (Sergeant Hopkins) was the scenes of crime officer, Nick Carter, office manager. Nick Brent and Gordon Smith were also involved. We had a fairly good suspect - a teenager who lived in the same road and was known to the victim but as Ron Underwood said we were short of forensic evidence.

The name was Cox. When found she was in her nightdress and it was believed there was a cup of cocoa in the room. It was her habit to go to bed each night with a cup of cocoa and listen to Radio 4 Book at Bedtime.

Brian Woodfield: This was a shocking murder and a great shame it was never resolved. I was a detective sergeant on this case dealing with actions and think incident room was run by Ray Parratt. Ron Underwood was SIO and Jim Dixon the deputy SIO. The victim was widow of Mr. Cox - can't recollect his first name. However, I seem to think he was a fair bit older than wife and had been a tailor of some repute in Chelsea area.

I remember that on trying to compile a family tree interviewing some then elderly relatives in Northolt area, usual thing what did they know when they last saw the victim, etc. The thing that stuck in my mind was that they mentioned remembering as a child standing at garden gate when the victim's husband came home on leave from the trenches during WW1. He still had his rifle, packs and was covered in mud. Strange isn't it what you recall?

1974, 19-20 January: Murder Camberley.

The four Woodman brothers

The four Woodman brothers

1970s, mid: The Woodman Scenes of Crime Officer Trio: Cliff was the first to become scenes of crime officer in the 1950s at Horley, in those days it was a uniform officer who did it on a part time basis. His mode of transport was his pedal cycle to which he strapped on a wooden box containing equipment and off he would go and pedal to the scene.

In those days we did have a blood and paint index; all the standard samples would be taken: glass, paint, wood fibres, etc. Fingerprinting examination was done with graphite for light surfaces and chalk for dark surfaces these were applied with a squirrel haired brush. When a print was found a photographer would attend from Mount Browne with his full plate camera to photograph the print and forward it to fingerprint department.

Training for fingerprint examination was given at Mount Browne by Gordon Ellerby and Geoff Mynott. Forensic training was given at Scotland Yard and explosive training at Woolwich and Montgomery Lines in Bordon Hampshire.

Ray joined Scenes of Crime at Leatherhead in the mid 1950s, having the same training as Cliff. Vic joined the Scenes of Crime team in the mid 1970s by which time the role had come a long way; we working in plain clothes, the cycles gone instead driving around in Mini vans, this now being a full time appointment. Vic had the same fingerprinting and explosive training as his brothers but attended the Detective Training School at Hendon for forensic training which had been expanded considerably.

All forensic samples were examined by the Metropolitan Laboratory at Lambeth. By the time Vic joined the team fingerprint examination had advanced considerably and scenes of crime officers were using a very fine aluminium powder which was applied with a Zephyr Brush which was made of very fine stands of fibreglass so the squirrels gave a sigh of relief. The fingerprint was then lifted onto a clear tape and mounted onto a vinyl sheet which would be forwarded to Fingerprint Department for examination. This made the whole routine faster and more efficient.

Don a fourth brother he remained a uniform beat officer at Haslemere for twenty two years.

1970s, early: Bill Bethell: There was also a major crime enquiry in the Charlwood area in the early 1970s where a gypsy boy and his uncle had disappeared overnight. They had been to a pub in the Dorking area and driven away but nothing found. A couple of weeks later the uncle turned up on the site in the Reigate area and confessed that he had been drunk when he drove the car off the road into a deep pond. The car had sunk and he had managed to get out but had abandoned the boy. The car and the boy's body were found in the pond.

1973, late-early 1974: plane crash Dunsfold: John Thorne: This incident I attended with Chief Constable Peter Matthews. A Swiss pilot in a Harrier lost forward flying speed and forgot that he was upside down ejected into the runway. He was DOA [dead on arrival] at Royal Surrey County Hospital.

Tony Forward: I attended this crash as Chief Inspector (Admin) Guildford. I drove Chief Superintendent Hagley there. The plane had taken off from Dunsfold Aerodrome, had got into difficulties and the pilot ejected. The plane landed on farm land near Cranleigh. The pilot was taken to hospital but was not seriously injured.

Parts of the plane were spread over a large area and under the supervision of Chief Constable Matthews, the area was taped off and plotted to assist the Air Accident Investigation team. Sergeant Clive Stanbury, then stationed at Cranleigh was in charge of that and Superintendent David Stewart was the reporting officer. (I had a copy of the crash report but gave it to HQ Museum).

Kevin Morris: The pilot was Swiss/Swedish (Scandinavian?) but I had no idea about his injuries or death. I thought he survived as I will mention later. I seem to remember it was just before I went to Haslemere so it puts it late 1973, early 1974. I remember it was fairly cold and damp and the crash site was towards Cranleigh. The plane had hit the ground hard, digging a large crater then bounced out and on for a while losing bits all over the place.

I learnt that day what a "D Notice" was as the press were all over taking photos and senior officers started saying it was covered by a "D Notice" and they could not use them, not too surprisingly they were not happy. I also seem to remember Brian Woodfield being there which I think ties in with the date. I also learnt a good tip about leadership/management.

Because as I believed the crash to be a non-fatal one it seemed less important, however, we were all told we had to stay and put sticks and labels on every fragment and piece of debris we could find. For a young hot head the thought of such a mundane task did not exactly thrill me, nor many others around me.

As if he had read our minds Peter Matthews came and spoke to us all. He talked about the importance of making sure all the evidence was available for the crash investigators and although not a fatal accident, it would be good for us to understand and get it right for any future event. Suddenly this mundane task took on a very real air of importance and we got on with it with quite a good feeling - or at least I did.

Now Sir Peter, as I later discovered, was quite an expert on crashes and he could have simply ordered us to get on with it, but he didn't. And that made a big difference to me and my thinking in the future as to how to get the best out of people. The police would now treat any crash as a possible crime scene I am sure but that was a good way to start to understand what was involved.

1975, May: PC 683 David Stark awarded the Queens's Commendation for Brave Conduct when he arrested an armed intruder. PS Stark went with other officers to an incident and talked a man who was threatening him with a gun into surrendering. The man was arrested and admitted twenty five other offences and was sentenced to eleven and a half years in prison. After the trial His Honour Judge Bolland said: "I would like to say that the police officers, particularly Sergeant Stark, behaved in the most courageous way and in the best traditions of the British Police."

1975, about: Cranleigh: Surrey airline pilot murdered his wife and then drove up to Cumbria and dropped her body into Wast Water. The victim was identified by ... more

1975: Policewomen to compete equally with men:22 The Sex Discrimination Act required the police to abolish separate establishments, departments and career structures for women and insisted that they be fully integrated into the Service. For the first time, male and female officers competed on equal terms for entry, promotion and transfers, and over the next few years, the number of women officers doubled.

1975: Pay Increase:23 Following the Joint Report of the Police Council Working Party, there was a very substantial increase in police pay.

1975, 27 August: IRA bomb: An explosive device was detonated in the dance area of the Caterham Arms, causing severe injuries and extensively damaging the pub. A bomb ... more

1975, 20 November: Bob Bartlett: At 4 pm an HS125 taking off from Dunsfold Airfield struck a car on the A281 Guildford to Horsham Road, killing the ... more

1975: Injury Accident Statistics: (taken from the 1979 Annual Report)

  • Fatal:         95
  • Serious:   867
  • Slight:    2737
  • Total:    3699

1974-75: Personal radios: Harold May: Personal radios were brought to Haslemere in about1974 or 1975 but it was always very hit or miss because of the terrain. I remember the only place you could actually pick up Guildford police station was either up Tennyson's Lane or out at Chiddingfold. Eventually they put an aerial on the old post office roof at Hindhead Cross roads, this helped a little bit.

But if you went down the Hindhead road towards Churt there was no hope of receiving anything. I think they eventually put another aerial on the roof of Haslemere police station but this was after I retired in 1977. The biggest problem was remembering to put them on charge when finishing duty as often I went to take one only to find it was flat!

19 http://www.polfed.org/aboutus/69DD9AB47F534348AD5D1415843163AA.asp [19 January 2010].

20 Surrey Advertiser (1971). (April 30).

21 http://www.polfed.org/aboutus/69DD9AB47F534348AD5D1415843163AA.asp [19 January 2010].

22 http://www.polfed.org/aboutus/69DD9AB47F534348AD5D1415843163AA.asp [19 January 2010].

23 http://www.polfed.org/aboutus/69DD9AB47F534348AD5D1415843163AA.asp [19 January 2010].


Surrey Constabulary badge