A Guide to the Archives of the Police
Forces of England and Wales
Headquarters Winfrith Dorchester DT2 8DZ
Mr John Smith Press Office
Tele 0929 462727
The Constabulary has in its possession a large collection of photographs, memorabilia and some documentary material which is at present in store. The intention is to display the material in a museum at Headquarters as soon as a room can be allocated.
1. Criminals Photographic Register. c1870
2. Register of Court of Summary Jurisdiction. Portland Sub-Division. 1907-1915
3. General Order Book.
Chief Constable's Office. Complete Series. 1856-1944
4. Examination for Situation of Constable. Personnel Registers. Complete Series. 1871-1947
Box 1. War Documents and Suffragettes.
(ii) Flying Kites and Balloons. 1914
6. Sale of Liquior to Convalescent Soldiers.
7. Air Raid Warnings.
(i) Chief Constable's Letter. 1915
(ii) Police Warning. 1915
(iii) Instructions to Police for Reporting Air
(iv) Air Raid Warden Certificates.
8. Sale of Bread. Notice.
9. Prohibition of Sketching and Photography.
10. Cancellation of Rewards for Capture of German Prisoners.
Memo to Superintendents.
Box 7. Books.
12. Police Committee Reports.
13. Registers of Bad Characters.
(ii) 1913 14. Instruction Book.
Seizure of Private Stills.
15. Duty Record Book.
16. Recruits Instruction Book.
17. Police Notebook.
18. "Pc's Guide to Daily Work."
19. Traffic Signals.
20. "A Constable's Duty and How to do it."
Box 17. General and Conditions of Service.
21. Scales of Pay. (i) 1856 (ii) 1873
22. Conditions of Service.
23. Qualifications for Promotion. 1886
24. Chimney Sweeps Certificates. 1875
25. Certificates of Good Character. 1864
26. The Police Gazette. 1858
27. Military Prisoners in Uniform. Memo from Chief Constable. 1898
28. Dorset Constabulary and Weights and Measures Committee. Minutes.
29. List of Members of the County Council. 1889