To explore the impact on success and progression, of running three whole-group face to face tutorials with students in secure environments studying a Level 0 Openings module.
Evaluation was based on quantitative and qualitative outcomes
• Tutor marked assignment submission rates
• End of course (ECA) and end of module assessment (EMA) completion and ‘Achievement rates 2
• Percentage progressing on to a further OU module.
• The view of experienced prison-based education managers
• The view of experienced Openings tutors who delivered the sessions
• Feedback from students
The outcome of this project suggests that the provision of three whole-group face to face tutorials could significantly enhance the learning support available to students in prison with a consequent increase in successful completion rates and of progression on to further Open University courses.