The Music Department is proud to present another Study Day in collaboration with its partner orchestra, The Orchestra of the Age of Enlightenment (OAE). The day will take place at the Southbank Centre, London, on Tuesday 19 March.
The day is open to students registered on any of the following modules: A224 Inside Music, A232 Music, Sound and Technology, A342 Central Questions in the Study of Music, the Certificate The Practice of Music Making (presented by our curriculum partner, Trinity Laban Conservatoire of Music and Dance), or the MA in Music (A873 / A874). Students registered for the BA (Music) degree and studying Level 1 modules are also welcome. Associate Lecturers in Music are also welcome to attend.
The Study Day will take place in the Level Five Function Room, and the OAE’s concert in the evening is in the Royal Festival Hall. The schedule for the day is:
- 12:00–13:00 Study Session I: Following and Leading in Performance (with members of the OAE)
- 13:00–14:00 Lunch break
- 14:00–14:30 Music at the Open University (survey of current activity and future plans)
- 14:30–15:30 Study Session II: Influence and Innovation
- 15:30–17:00 OAE final rehearsal (Royal Festival Hall)
- 17:00–18:00 Dinner Break
- 18:00–18:30 Pre-concert Talk Schumann and Brahms (open to public)
- 19:00–c.21:30 Concert (OAE, Sir Andràs Schiff): Schumann, Symphony No. 3 Rhenish; Brahms, Piano Concerto No. 2
The charge for the day is £5.00, payable in advance through the OAE’s ticket office (telephone 020 7239 9375 — do not try to book through the Southbank Centre box office). This includes all study day sessions, and admission to the evening concert.
Registration in advance is essential, and places are limited. To register, you must book through the OAE’s ticket office and also contact FASS‑ACEM‑Music@open.ac.uk giving your name, your PI, and the module for which you are registered. The deadline for registrations is Friday 8 March 2019.