We have completed the first stage of our ORO – ORCID connector. It is now possible to link your ORO profile to your new (or existing ORCID account). This link has three key benefits:
- It allows all your publications listed in ORO to be automatically added to ORCID
- It verifies that your ORCID account is actually yours (ORO serves as an institutional verifier of your identity)
- Your ORCID id will feed through to the HESA information in your personal details on staff self service [OU staff only]
But there are a couple of things to be aware of:
- This connection will only identify duplicate publications if they have Digital Object Identifiers
- New records added to ORO are not automatically added to ORCID at this stage
Both of these functions will be addressed when we pick up the ORO – ORCID development work with the release of a Jisc funded plug-in for ePrints (the Open Source software ORO operates). We are hoping the plug-in will address other outstanding functionality (e.g. pulling items from ORCID to ORO and displaying ORCIDs in the front end of ORO).
In the meantime if you’d like to take advantage of our current integration please follow the steps below:
- Go to http://oro.open.ac.uk/cgi/users/home?screen=Items and click the button labelled “Create or Connect your ORCID ID”.
- On the bottom of the next page, click the “Connect to ORCID” button.
- If you need to create an ORCID account:
- On the next page complete the form with email address and a new password, accept the conditions, complete the captcha and click the “Authorize” button at the bottom
- If you already have an ORCID account:
- On the next page login to your ORCID account using your existing ORCID username and password and click the “Authorize” button at the bottom.