Yesterday afternoon, I ran a face-to-face training session entitled “Finding and evaluating external scholarship literature”.
It encouraged attendees to search for, evaluate and use external scholarship literature (i.e. that produced outside of The OU) in their scholarship projects.
We looked at the following:
- Getting a list of scholarship journals from Library Search
- Searching for scholarship literature using Library Search, Google Scholar and British Education Index (OU login required)
- Comparing these databases in terms of their content coverage and features
- Planning and refining a search
- Using the “Judging the quality of other people’s evidence” checklist to evaluate scholarship literature (intranet link – only available to OU staff)
- Using Think Check Submit to evaluate prospective scholarship journals to publish in
Here are the slides and handouts from the session:
- Finding and evaluating external scholarship literature slides
- Planning and refining your search handout
- Useful links handout
*Update* here is a video recording of the session.