You are viewing information for England.  Change country.

Enhanced Learning Credits

If you’re a serving member of the British Armed Forces (or you’ve recently left), then you may be eligible to use Enhanced Learning Credits (ELCs) to pay for your studies.

ELCs are ideal if you want to upskill your existing qualifications, change career paths or boost your CV, and they can be used to fund Open University studies.

Woman from the armed forces thinking about her future

Enhanced Learning Credits (ELC) are used by the Ministry of Defence to sponsor their Armed Forces personnel to improve their education and, in particular, to support them through the move to civilian life.

There are two types of ELC funding available:

  • With 100% funding, you may receive funding for up to 360 credits of Open University module fees, enabling you to gain an undergraduate qualification (either a BA or BSc ordinary, an honours degree or a foundation degree). To be eligible you must be in the two-year resettlement period and not already have an undergraduate degree.

  • With 80% funding, depending on how long you’ve been serving in the Armed Forces, you may be eligible for either the higher tier (up to £2,000) or lower tier (up to £1,000). If you choose to study with us, as your learning provider we'll receive a single payment towards the cost of your fees, for up to three Ministry of Defence financial years. The Ministry of Defence pays for up to 80% (within the maximum of £1,000 or £2,000) of your Open University module fees, and you pay the rest (at least 20%).

 

Photo of Richard Gill

I decided to embark on degree study when I realised that everyone I came into contact with had a degree. The Open University was the obvious choice given that I was a manager in the Royal Logistic Corps at the timeā€¦ I registered for a BSc (Hons) Open degree and focused on business elements, building my degree on the Certificate in Business Administration. I then used my Open degree as a platform for MBA study.

Richard Gill, BSc (Hons) Open

To learn more visit our Forces pages or to find out about eligibility visit the Enhanced Learning Credits Administration Services website.

Talk to an adviser

For help understanding your payment options

Book a call back

Explore our subjects and courses

Request your prospectus today