There are no formal entry requirements, but it's very important you:
- are well prepared to study mathematics at this level;
- are a competent user of the English language – explained on our website;
- have access to learners of mathematics working at Key Stages 2 to 4, during Stage 3 of this qualification.
You need some experience in mathematics – you must be comfortable with the following topics:
- arithmetic of numbers, including negative numbers and fractions;
- scientific notation for numbers (sometimes known as standard form);
- powers of numbers including square roots;
- using your scientific calculator effectively for the above topics, and for working with brackets and π;
- using simple word formulas;
- drawing and interpreting simple charts and graphs.
Check you’re ready with our self-assessed quiz. We’ve study resources to help you prepare.
If you score very highly, consider starting at a higher level and at a faster pace – check you’ve the necessary experience and confidence for the intensive start, with this self-assessed quiz.
There’s lots more advice and guidance at our MathsChoices website.
How much time do I need?
- Most of our students study part time, completing 60 credits a year.
- This will usually mean studying for 16–18 hours a week.
Find out if you have enough time to study with our time planner
Counting previous study
You could save time and money by reducing the number of modules you need to study towards this qualification if you have:
- already studied at university level (even if you didn't finish your studies)
- other professional or vocational qualifications such as HNCs and HNDs.
Find out more about credit transfer
Preparing for study with an Access module
If your study skills are a bit rusty or you want to try out Open University study before committing yourself, don’t worry! The OU offers Access modules designed to introduce the subject area, build your confidence and prepare you for further study, and you may be eligible to study an Access module for free! You'll get:
- a personal tutor providing regular feedback with one to one telephone tutorials
- support from a dedicated team throughout your study
- detailed written feedback.
For this qualification we recommend: