This degree course is restricted to students working in social care in Scotland, who already have a degree in any subject from a UK university.
For sponsored students entry has to be made through the employing agency: you cannot apply direct to the OU.
A limited number of places are available to non-sponsored students – for more information contact The Open University in Scotland.
Employing agencies and individuals who are interested in this degree should contact the Social Work Co-ordinator at The Open University in Scotland on 0131 226 3851 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
All candidates for the degree must:
- have a qualification in maths at the level of Standard Grade Two (as a graduate, the English requirement is met by your degree)
- show that you can communicate clearly in spoken and written English
- demonstrate that you have the appropriate personal and intellectual qualities to be a social worker
- take part in an interview
- register with the Scottish Social Services Council (SSSC) as a social work student – this includes a Disclosure Scotland check.
The next available start date is February 2018. The deadline for submitting an application is 03 November 2017 (sponsored route).
The following start date is October 2018. The deadline for submitting an application will be mid-April 2018 (non-sponsored route) and 30 June 2018 (sponsored route)
How much time do I need?
Find out if you have enough time to study with our time planner
- Most of our students study part time, completing 60 credits a year.
- This will usually mean studying for 16–18 hours a week.
Counting previous study
You could save time and money by reducing the number of modules you need to study towards this qualification, if you have:
- already studied at university level (even if you didn't finish your studies)
- other professional or vocational qualifications such as HNCs and HNDs.
Find out more about credit transfer