There are no academic entry requirements for this course. However, you must have the support of your employer for the two work-based modules Enhancing your healthcare practice (K117) and Extending your contribution to healthcare practice (K236) and be employed as healthcare support worker/healthcare assistant in a healthcare setting.
It is also a requirement that you:
- remain in employment while studying towards this qualification
- work in a healthcare setting for a minimum of two days per week
- are involved in the direct delivery of care or providing interventions for patients/service users
- provide confirmation of your employer’s support for your studies
- have a workplace supervisor qualified in the same area of practice to support and assess your work-based learning
- have access to a computer and the internet.
Please note that you cannot apply online for this qualification – for more information about how to register, employers and individuals should contact us.
How much time do I need?
- Most of our students study flexibly, completing 60-120 credits a year
- Depending on the agreement with your employer you can complete this qualification in 2-4 years.
Counting previous study
You could save time and money by reducing the number of modules you need to study towards this qualification, if you have:
- already studied at university level (even if you didn't finish your studies)
- other professional or vocational qualifications such as HNCs and HNDs
Find out more about credit transfer
Preparing for study with an Access module
If your study skills are a bit rusty or you want to try out Open University study before committing yourself, don’t worry! The OU offers Access modules designed to introduce the subject area, build your confidence and prepare you for further study, and you may be eligible to study an Access module for free! You'll get:
- a personal tutor providing regular feedback with one to one telephone tutorials
- support from a dedicated team throughout your study
- detailed written feedback.
For this qualification we recommend: