There are no formal entry requirements for this qualification.
Students at any level of practical musical skill are welcome to take the module. Before starting Stage 2 of this diploma you should have a knowledge of music theory equivalent to ABRSM Grade 3 level, as the modules begin at this level and progress to more advanced musical concepts and techniques. If you have not yet attained this level, you can reach it by studying the OU’s free online course, Introduction to music theory.
How much time do I need?
Find out if you have enough time to study with our time planner
- Most of our students study part time, completing 60 credits a year.
- This will usually mean studying for 16–18 hours a week.
Counting previous study
You could save time and money by reducing the number of modules you need to study towards this qualification if you have:
- already studied at university level (even if you didn't finish your studies)
- other professional or vocational qualifications such as HNCs and HNDs.
Find out more about credit transfer
Preparing for study with an Access module
If your study skills are a bit rusty or you want to try out Open University study before committing yourself, don’t worry! The OU offers Access modules designed to introduce the subject area, build your confidence and prepare you for further study, and you may be eligible to study an Access module for free! You'll get:
- a personal tutor providing regular feedback with one to one telephone tutorials
- support from a dedicated team throughout your study
- detailed written feedback.
For this qualification we recommend: