Transform your organisation with the OU
As the transformation of healthcare continues, The Open University can support your objectives by providing quality learning and development opportunities to transform your workforce and meet the quality, innovation, prevention and productivity agenda.
We can help you to
- skill healthcare support workers
- grow your own nurses
- support leadership programmes for senior managers
The Open University’s offer is aligned to the NHS career framework meaning our solutions are tailored to staff at all levels of your organisation.
- Healthcare support workers (Levels 2-4 NHS Career Framework)
- Qualified nurses, midwives and other health professionals (Levels 5+ NHS Career Framework)
- Senior practitioners
- Leadership and Management (all levels)
- Skills specific to your needs
- All courses
- Bespoke training solutions and tenders
In response to the changing and expanding role of healthcare support workers and healthcare assistants, The Open University has designed a new educational framework to enable staged education as roles develop.
Learn more about:
- Certificate in Higher Education in Healthcare Practice
- Foundation Degree in Healthcare Practice
- Diploma of Higher Education in Healthcare Practice in Scotland
- BA or BSc (Hons) Health and Social Care
Qualified staff at this level need ongoing support and professional development opportunities to meet the demands of health improvement and to deliver healthcare by themselves and the staff who report to them. We offer Learning Beyond Registration (LBR) courses at Degree and Masters level, which include:
- ‘Top-up’ Degree in Nursing Practice with pathways focusing on leadership, public health, older people and child health
- Short courses in specific areas such as Long-term conditions
There is a continual need for professional development and skills updates for Senior Practitioners – and as Managers and Directors of service they will increasingly need management and leadership skills.
Our postgraduate offer takes account of these needs to develop staff at all levels:
- Postgraduate Certificate in Advancing Healthcare Practice
- Postgraduate Diploma in Advancing Healthcare Practice
- MSc in Advancing Healthcare Practice
- Master of Business Administration
Throughout these courses leadership is addressed in the context of challenges in health and social care and key practice issues familiar to healthcare professionals to ensure they are relevant and can be implemented in the workplace straightaway.
We can work with you to develop your approach to healthcare improvement by providing empowering education and training such as:
- Strategic planning
- Managing change / managing complexity
- Managing projects
- Research / market analysis skills
- Financial management
- Information technology
- Partnership working
- Systems thinking
- Team working / communication
To assist in meeting your specific objectives, we can provide off-the-shelf or bespoke education related to core healthcare functions:
- End of life care / death and dying
- Understanding long term conditions
- Mental health
- Understanding of vulnerable / disadvantaged groups
- Health promotion
See our online prospectus for the list of all our individual courses in Health and Social Care. For those who already have a degree, we also have postgraduate courses and qualifications in Health and Social Care.
As well as off-the-shelf courses developed in conjunction with UK health organisations, we can also work closely with your organisation to identify specific needs and develop bespoke education and training packages to meet your requirements.
The Open University can provide a practical and relevant learning solution, which can be tailored to your specific organisational needs. Contact us now on 0845 366 6053 or request a prospectus to find out how we can help transform your healthcare workforce.