Grow your own social workers and develop your social care task force
The Open University is the largest provider of part-time social work and social care training in the UK. Whether you are growing your own social workers or providing professional development for social care workers, our learning is
- flexible - all our learning is practice-based
- cost effective - staff continue to work as they study
- tailored - we can include additional requirements to meet your organisation's needs
Working with us your staff can immediately bring their learning into the workplace - helping them to begin to reflect on their practice and positively contribute to the service you provide.
Grow your own social workers
The programme is currently available to staff who are working in social care agencies and are supported by their employer, including students employed on traineeship contracts.
- contributes to recruitment and retention by providing opportunities for progression
- provides training opportunities for experienced staff who are unable, for financial or family reasons, to access traditional university courses
- gives employers substantial involvement in the selection of suitable candidates and the management of practice learning
- provides cost effective work-based education and training which can benefit the workplace as a whole
- is modular in structure, giving students flexibility in fitting study around family and work commitments.
Social work qualifications in the UK are approved by different bodies in each country:
- Scottish Social Services Council (SSSC)
- General Social Care Council (GSCC) in England
- Care Council for Wales (CCW) and
- Northern Ireland Social Care Council (NISCC).
Developing Social Care Workers
Developing the skills of social care workers to meet the needs of your organisation is increasingly important. We offer introductory courses which are perfect for new learners with little or no knowledge of studying and need support to get into learning. These courses introduce new skills and build confidence in your social care workforce.
Improving confidence and skills in social care
To develop your social work and social care workforce, The Open University offers a range of study pathways towards recognised qualifications including certificates, diplomas and degrees:
To find out more, download or request a prospectus or contact us on 0845 366 6053.