What were they looking for?
Our model of supported distance learning was identified by the Scottish Executive Health Department as providing the best method of delivering accredited management development programmes to a workforce distributed throughout Scotland.
The SEHD's ultimate aim was to equip middle managers with the skills and competencies to cope with an ever-changing environment, and the constant need to review services, facilities and management practices.
How did we address their requirements?
We initially recruited 227 managers onto the OU Business School's Professional Certificate in Management. A further 125 managers were added to the programme two years later.
The accredited management development programme was a great success, resulting in:
- Better time management, leading to the introduction of new services
- Increased focus on people, their individual needs and their contribution to team working
- Better motivation, team leading, collaborative working and negotiation
- More effective project planning, control and evaluation
- More reflective practitioners.