What research questions the project addresses, aims & themes
The Meeting teachers' co-design needs by means of Integrated Learning Environments (METIS) project aims to contribute to the improvement of national in-service teacher training curricula (one of the EU Lisbon strategic goals) by offering high quality material for teachers' professional development on the use of modern learning techniques and tools that will focus on higher order skills and 21st century competencies. This will have a direct impact on the three educational sectors addressed in this project: adult education, vocational training and university education.
- To develop an Integrated Learning Design Environment (ILDE), which will integrate existing free and open source software solutions that include:
- Co-design support for communities of practitioners.
- Learning design authoring tools following different pedagogical approaches and authoring experiences.
- Interface for deployment of learning designs on mainstream VLEs.
- To run a series of workshops for teachers at partner institutions on how to use ILDE
- To disseminate the project’s outcomes and maintain a community of teachers
How the research questions are addressed by the project (methodology and activity/environment)
The project will complement professional development workshops with a set of "closed-cycle workshops" (training workshops plus learning design enactment in a real learning scenario) aimed at teachers who will use learning design tools in an integrated Learning Design Environment (ILDE) to enact authentic learning situations, and apply innovative pedagogies such as collaborative and project-based learning and assessment.
Findings and outputs
There are no findings or outputs yet
There is no measurable project impact yet as the project has recently started
learning design, innovative pedagogies
Chris Walsh (FELS)
Project partners and links
University of Valladolid (UVa)
Universitat Pompeu Fabra, Barcelona (UPF)
The Open University UK (OU-UK)
University of Leicester
Istituto Tecnologie Didattiche (ITD)
RWTH Aachen University
KEK Eurotraining AE
Associación de Personas Participantes Àgora
European Commission Lifelong Learning Programme
Start Data and Duration
1 November 2012 - 28 February 2015 (28 months)