Skip to content

Toggle service links

Appointments at residential schools

General Information


Recruitment for teaching posts are scheduled throughout the year.  Engineering schools recruitment is typically held in January, OUBS schools in April and September and Language schools, also in September.

If you have accessed these pages directly, please note that you can only apply via the HR Jobs site:

Please ensure you complete each section of the application, submit your application on the correct application form and by the closing date for applications, as we will be unable to accept incomplete applications, applications submitted on an incorrect or out of date form or applications submitted after the closing date.

If you are a successful candidate you may be required to supply evidence to support your eligibility to work in the United Kingdom, this is a legal requirement. If we require any evidence from you we will contact you separately advising the process to follow. No contract of employment will be raised until the full eligibility process has been followed.

The Open University is only able to accept applications for Residential Schools from applicants who are resident in the United Kingdom or Republic of Ireland.

Expenses for working at residential school

Any claims made for working at residential schools must adhere to the University guidelines and you are reminded to review the guidance provided in 'Travelling to your residential school' on Useful documents before arranging your travel and submitting your claim.

Booking your residential school travel

Staff and tutors working at residential schools must book their travel through the Residential Schools Team. The travel request form is available online from the following link: Travel request form.

Please complete the form as soon as you have accepted your contract of employment to work at the school.

Criminal conviction

In line with the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974, new and external applicants are required to declare any unspent criminal convictions when completing employment applications for the Open University. For certain roles, you will also need to declare spent convictions, pending charges/current police investigations, bind overs, warnings and cautions or reprimands. All information you provide is treated as confidential and will be considered only in relation to the job for which you are applying.

In instances where a conviction is disclosed, the Open University will consider whether the offence would make you unsuitable for the type of work you are applying for.