The library building is open to all for reference and study purposes. There is a limited range of physical materials available to borrow, so it is worth checking the Library Search before you visit. To find print books and other materials in the Walton Hall library, enter your search terms and then click ‘In the Walton Hall Library’.
All Open University staff, Associate Lecturers and students can access the full range of the library's online resources by logging in to the Library Services website using their usual OU computer username and password.
Who can borrow items?
- Open University staff, Associate Lecturers, and post graduate research students
- Open University taught masters and undergraduate students (all modules)
- SCONUL Access students and staff from other universities
How to borrow items
You will need to join the Library before you can borrow any items. OU full-time research students, OU staff and Associate Lecturers working at or visiting Walton Hall will need to activate the barcode on the back of your staff ID card.
The Library Search allows you to search the physical and online collections held by the Open University Library in Milton Keynes.
To search for a particular item:
- Go to Library Search.
- Enter your search terms (e.g. title or keywords) into the 'Search' box.
- Click 'In the Walton Hall library' to show only physical materials.
Once you have found the items you wish to borrow:
- take the items you wish to borrow and your Library card to a self-issue/return machine near the Customer Services point on the ground floor
- follow the instructions on screen to issue the items
- you will have the option to print a receipt which gives the date your items are due for return
How to renew items
- Renew online: From anywhere in Library Search click on ’My Library Account' in the menu bar and follow the instructions.
- Bring the items into the library: Use the self-issue/return machine to renew your items by following the instructions on screen.
- Contact the Library Helpdesk stating your library card number, or phone +44 (0) 1908 659001 and choose option 1.
How to return items
- return them in the Library building using the self-issue/return machine
- place them in the book return box found at the entrance of the Library building, when the Library is closed
- post them back using recorded post, to
Library Services, The Open University, Walton Hall, Milton Keynes, MK7 6AA
- OU staff based in the Regions and Nations can use the internal mail system to return items to Walton Hall