OU theses and dissertations
The Digital Archive of Research Theses (DART) has now been integrated into the University's research repository, Open Research Online (ORO). There is the option to browse theses or search for a specific thesis or theses within a subject area within ORO (check the theses box in the item type field and select and academic unit/department).
Search for OU theses in the Library catalogue using the search box below
You may be able to borrow a consultation copy of a thesis if you are able to visit the OU Library in person. You may also be eligible for the postal loan service - please check your service entitlements
How to access theses and dissertations
The Electronic Theses Online System (EThOS) offers free access to the full text of UK theses.
- EThOS offers a one stop online shop providing free access to UK theses
- EThOS digitizes theses on request into PDF format
- EThOS is managed by the British Library in partnership with a number of UK universities
- EThOS is open to all categories of library user
What does this mean to you as a library user?
When you need to access a PhD thesis from another UK based HE institution you should check EThOS to either download a thesis which has already been digitised or to request that a UK thesis be supplied to you.
- For all UK theses EThOS will be the first point of delivery. You can use the online ordering and tracking system direct from EThOS to manage your requests for UK PhD theses, including checking the status of your requests
- As readers you will deal directly with EThOS so will not need to fill in a document delivery request
- OU staff and research students will still be entitled to access non-UK based PhD theses by filling in a document delivery request
- In some cases where EThOS is unable to supply a UK thesis OU staff and research students will be able to access it by filling in a conventional document delivery request. The thesis will be supplied through direct loan
- The EThOS system is both faster and cheaper than the previous British Theses service which was based on microfilm
- The British Library no longer arranges interlibrary loans for UK PhD theses
- Interlibrary Loan procedures for other types of request from the British Library (articles and books for example) will remain the same