If I have any regular readers out there in cyber space you’ll know by now that I’m pretty much always on the lookout for opportunities. By opportunities I mean either things to volunteer for, places to go and visit, exciting things to try and things/events to attend which sound interesting. It’s been mistakenly suggested that I somehow ‘find’ loads of interesting things to see and do when in fact I just copy off loads of other people. I see something interesting and look into it, simple as that. I’m quite proactive when it comes to trying new stuff.
I remember an episode of a Derren Brown programme sometime late last year in which he tried to show that luck doesn’t really exist and that you create your own luck by taking advantage of opportunities which present themselves to you. I couldn’t agree more. Opportunities often present other opportunities which lead to interesting things and maybe even more opportunities and the cycle goes on.
I think this is may be why I like to try so many things; because you never know what something might lead to. That person you get chatting to at such-and-such meeting/club/group might just be colleagues with the boss of a business you’d love to get involved with or when you’re helping out at such-and-such community event you might spot a notice on their board offering free training which would be really useful to you. You just never know where things will lead or how much fun you’ll have in the process.
I’m a firm advocate of trying to better yourself; probably why I enrolled with the OU in the first place, but it’s not just about education; I firmly believe that you have to supplement it with other things in order to ‘spread your wings’ as it were. Chastise me all you like, but I really think Cameron’s idea of the ‘Big Society’ is a perfectly valid and appropriate direction for the UK to take; more people need to volunteer and get involved with things they’re interested in. It sounds cheesy but it’s like food for the soul, I absolutely love being involved in stuff!
Name: Carrie Anne ‘Caz’ Walton
Blog: Carrie On Being A Student
Twitter ID: @Cazzdevil
Height: 5’ 10” in my stocking feet
Hair: Sits limply on top of my head begging for style and shape; two attributes I seem biologically incapable of providing.
Five things you should know about me…
- Even if there were twice as many hours in the day there still wouldn’t be enough time for me to do everything I want to do.
- I wash my face with soap and wear nothing but jeans and hoodies, yet I write for the beauty and fashion sections of the Groupon lifestyle blog and do actually know what I’m talking about.
- I love mountain biking (proper mountain biking, up mountains), but I’m really rubbish at it.
- I love writing and would love to write a book but I don’t think I’m anywhere near good enough to. My family disagrees entirely, but they’re biased so their opinions on my writing ability don’t count ;o)
- I fear I may be becoming addicted to qualification suffixes. I have three so far and am in the process of getting five more.