Research in this area aims to extend theory and to inform practice in relation to the application of marketing in commercial and non-commercial contexts. We have particular expertise in marketing strategy and segmentation, social marketing, consumer behaviour and behaviour change, branding and marketing practice. The Open University Business School is home to the Institute for Social Marketing (ISM-Open), in which our research on social marketing and behaviour change is located.
PhD or MPhil
For detailed information on current fees visit Fees and funding
Minimum 2:1 (or equivalent) plus 120 credits in research methods training or, ideally, a masters degree in Research Methods (MRes), which is the usual precursor to PhD studies.
Potential research projects
full-time research studentships are advertised in January and may include the areas below. We also welcome part- and full-time self-funded applications in the following:
- Marketing strategy and marketing practice
- Social marketing and behaviour change (especially in sustainability and health contexts)
- Consumer behaviour and culture
- Market segmentation/targeting/profiling
- Big data and its role in managing customers and citizens
- Marketing, sustainability and future cities
- Branding and corporate identity
- Customer fairness, privacy and ethical issues
- Marketing in service industries
If you have an enquiry specific to this research area please contact:
- Claire Wylde
- +44 (0)1908 332311
For general enquiries please contact the Research Degrees Team via the link
under 'Your Questions' on the right of the page.