Work in this area examines identities of racialisation, racisms, religion, ethnicity; migration and mobilities; sexual identities, gendered identities and practices and class and culture.
Recent research includes work on:
- diaspora and cultural production
- media, diaspora and transnationalism
- sport and race
- migration, citizenship and families
- theorising migration and racism
- religion and gender
- faith in the city.
PhD or MPhil
For detailed information on current fees visit Fees and funding
Minimum 2:1 (or equivalent) and an MA or MSc
Potential research projects
For guidance on choosing a research project, please visit the Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences Research website. Information there will help you identify and articulate your research project, and tells you who to contact to discuss it before writing your proposal and submitting an application.
- Dr Umut Erel - gender, migration, families, citizenship, skilled migration, migration and racialisation
- Professor Marie Gillespie - diaspora and media, transnationalism, gender and migration
- Dr Karim Murji - racialisation, ethnicity and racism, diversity and policing
- Dr Peter Redman - gender, sexuality and the psychosocial
- Professor Elizabeth Silva - gender, culture, technology
- Professor Sophie Watson - gender, religion, migration, race, conviviality, public space and diversity
If you have an enquiry specific to this research area please contact:
- Discipline Convenor
- +44 (0)1908 653947
For general enquiries please contact the Research Degrees Team via the link
under 'Your Questions' on the right of the page.