OU academics investigate an array of musical practices in a variety of contexts, both historically and in the present day. Topics include:
- performance (and performance techniques) from the 15th to the 21st century
- musical and textual sources
- film music and recordings
- electronic music.
We specialise in:
- composers, including Handel, Clementi, Mahler and Ireland
- the social history of music
- music in Scotland, England and Wales
- Australian music
- North American indigenous music
- music and/as public culture
- musical migrations
- music and film
- the performance of electronic music
- the history of music in theatrical contexts.
Work on vernacular music, especially brass bands, devotional music and dance music, is also an important focus.
We welcome applications in areas that correspond to current staff research interests. We look for detailed and well thought-out proposals, which set out specific research questions and outline the originality of your topic or approach. If you would like to discuss your ideas informally before submitting an application, please contact us (details below).