I joined the Open University Business School in February 2020 from Nottingham University Business School, the University of Nottingham.
I am particularly interested in Executive Pay and managerial incentives with applications to Corporate Finance and Corporate Governance. My published research emphasises the need for further improvements in the way executive pay is disclosed, measured and analysed. My other research interests include topics in International/Applied Economics such as Foreign Direct Investment and Political Risks. My research has been published in leading International journals such as Journal of International Business Studies, British Journal of Management, British Journal of Industrial Relations, Long Range Planning, Economics Letters, etc.
In 2016, I co-authored a report on Executive Pay commissioned by The High Pay Centre, London, and submitted summary evidence of our research on pay to the UK Parliament (BEIS Committee, enquiry on Corporate Governance, October 2016).
PUBLISHED PAPERS AND REPORTS
- Skovoroda, R., Bruce, A., Buck, T., Gregory-Smith, I., (2019) “Cost-efficient Performance-Vesting Equity”, Economics Letters, 182, 37-39, DOI: 10.1016/j.econlet.2019.06.002 (ABS 3, ABDC A)
- Skovoroda, R., Goldfinch, S., DeRouen Jr. K., and Buck, T., (2019) “The Attraction of FDI to Conflicted States: The Counter-Intuitive Case of U.S. Oil and Gas”, Management International Review, 59(2), DOI: 10.1007/s11575-018-0374-y, (ABS 3, ABDC A)
- Skovoroda, R., Bruce, A. (2017), “Shifting the Goalposts? Analysing changes to performance peer groups used to determine the remuneration of FTSE100 CEOs”, British Journal of Management, 28 (2), 265-279, DOI: 10.1111/1467-8551.12209, (ABS 4, ABDC A)
- Skovoroda, R. and Lankina, T., (2017). “Fabricating votes for Putin: new tests of fraud and electoral manipulations from Russia”, Post-Soviet Affairs, 33(2), pp.100-123. DOI: 10.1080/1060586X.2016.1207988 (ABDC B)
- Lankina, T., Skovoroda R. (2017), “Regional Protest and Electoral Fraud: Evidence from Analysis of New Data on Russian Protest”, East European Politics, 33 (2), 254-274, DOI: 10.1080/21599165.2016.1261018
- Skovoroda, R., Bruce. A., Buck, T. (2016), “Corporate Governance Enquiry: Complex Incentive Schemes” report submitted to the Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy Committee, enquiry on Corporate Governance, October 2016.
- Bruce, A.; Skovoroda, R., (2015), "The Empirical Literature on Executive Pay: Context, the Pay-Performance Issue and Future Directions", in The High Pay Centre, London.
- Bruce, A., Skovoroda, R. (2013), "Bankers' bonuses and the financial crisis: Context, evidence and the rhetoric-policy gap", Business History, Vol.55 (2), pp. 139-160. (ABS 4 at the time of publication, ABDC A)
- Buck, T.; Liu, X.; Skovoroda, R. (2008), “Top executive pay and firm performance in China”, Journal of International Business Studies, Vol. 39, pp.833-850. (ABS 4*, ABDC A*)
- Bruce, A.; Skovoroda, R.; Fattorusso, J.; Buck, T. (2007), "Executive Bonus and Firm Performance in the UK", Long Range Planning, Vol.40 (3), pp. 280-294. (ABS 3, ABDC A)
- Fattorusso, J.; Skovoroda, R.; Buck, T.; Bruce, A. (2007), "UK Executive Bonuses and Transparency - A Research Note", British Journal of Industrial Relations, Vol.45 (3), pp. 518-536. (ABS 4, ABDC A*)
British Journal of Management;
The European Journal of Finance;
Journal of Financial Research;
Corporate Governance: An International Review;
European Journal of Political Research;
International Journal of the Economics of Business;
International Review of Economics and Finance;
I have taught and convened modules Financial Economics (UG), Corporate Governance (MSc), Microeconomics for Business (UG), Financial and Monetary Economics (MBA), Quantitative Analysis for Business (UG), etc.
Cost-efficient Performance-Vesting Equity (2019-09)
Skovoroda, Rodion; Bruce, Alistair; Buck, Trevor and Gregory-Smith, Ian
Economics Letters, 182 (pp. 37-39)
The Attraction of FDI to Conflicted States: The Counter-Intuitive Case of US Oil and Gas (2019-04-01)
Skovoroda, Rodion; Goldfinch, Shaun; DeRouen Jr., Karl and Buck, Trevor
Management International Review, 59(2) (pp. 229-251)
Fabricating votes for Putin: new tests of fraud and electoral manipulations from Russia (2017)
Skovoroda, Rodion and Lankina, Tomila
Post-Soviet Affairs, 33(2) (pp. 100-123)
Regional protest and electoral fraud: evidence from analysis of new data on Russian protest (2016)
Lankina, Tomila and Skovoroda, Rodion
East European Politics, 33(2) (pp. 253-274)