With almost three-quarters of our students in employment, The Open University in Scotland is at the forefront of ensuring people in the workforce have the opportunities they need to develop and update their skills.
Transform your workforce
We engage with Scotland's employers to understand their challenges and provide exceptional learning and development solutions for a wide variety of organisations, both in terms of type and size. This includes keeping Scotland’s health, social care, education and business professionals at the head of their fields.
Over 800 students are sponsored to study with us by over 300 organisations from the Shetland Islands to Dumfries and Galloway. Many more students pay their course fees and are subsequently reimbursed by their employers.
Why choose The Open University?
- Staff can put into practice what they’ve learnt from day one, providing an immediate return on your investment
- Flexible study minimises disruption to working hours and fits around work priorities
- Accredited learning is deliverable locally, nationally and internationally, irrespective of your number of employees
- We can provide a consistent learning experience across multiple sites
- Our unique learning method is informed by 40-plus years of research into how adults learn and apply knowledge in the workplace to achieve
- Courses and qualifications are often designed in collaboration with employers and industry bodies, maximising their relevance
- Many Associate Lecturers tutoring our students are actively employed within their specialist disciplines
Our partnership work includes professional and regulatory bodies in key Scottish sectors, like the Institute of Chartered Accountants of Scotland and the Scottish Social Services Council.
The OU and Babcock International
We are working with Babcock International to enable staff to study for BEng degrees, providing a consistency of learning and outcome at six sites across the UK. The company is able to capitalise on existing employee knowledge, skills and experience, and students can continue to work throughout their course.
Click on the video (left) to hear Babcock International staff talk about the benefits of The OU programme.
Our services for employers also include:
JobZone, our free online vacancy service, enables businesses to advertise their opportunities to thousands of our students and graduates. To register and advertise, click here
Businesses can raise their profile with our students by registering on our Employer Showcase. There is also scope to interact directly with our students, through online forums, webinars and social media events.
Research and Consultancy
In the UK's latest Research Excellence Framework, 72% of our submitted research was ranked as 'world-leading' or 'internationally excellent' and we came in the top third of UK higher education institutions for 'research power'. Click here to learn more about our research expertise. We work in collaboration with organisations to share OU expertise to address their training challenges and other business needs, including through consultancy.
For further information about how The Open University in Scotland can help your organisation by offering staff development and training solutions, contact
- Jackie Baker, Head of Business Development (Scotland and Ireland) on 07879 680667.
- Derek Goldman, Learning and Teaching Co-ordinator on 0131 549 7155.