There are a range of resources for YASS students that can help to complement and enhance not only the study of their OU module, but also their other studies at school. We also have informative materials for YASS school co-ordinators and interested schools.
Information for students
Studying with The OU
- What can I study? Download a full description of modules available to study.
- What OU study involves: Information about what makes OU study different and the types of materials and assignments you will encounter when studying with The OU.
Students have access to the Computing Helpdesk for one-to-one advice on issues such as installing/running module software, usernames and passwords, accessing module websites and forums and any other IT-related matters. The helpdesk is open until late on weekdays and on both Saturdays and Sundays.
Once a student has been registered they can contact their Student Support team for any questions they might have about OU study and processes in general.
Contact details for both the Computing Helpdesk and Learner Support are available on each learner’s Student Home page.
The OU Anywhere app gives students the option to download and access their core module textbooks, videos and other materials through mobile devices.
YASS students can use any of the specially designated OU Study Spaces at Dumfries & Galloway College, Fife College, South Lanarkshire College, New College Lanarkshire and West College Scotland. Each space is free to use and has full IT resources. For full details of facilities, opening times, and required ID click on the college you are interested in using.
OpenLearn aims to break the barriers to education by reaching millions of learners around the world, providing free education resources. With OpenLearn you can:
- Plan and prepare for a course of study by enrolling on one of our free courses.
- Browse the subject categories to discover articles, watch videos and interact with features and games created by our academic experts and guest contributors.
- Explore new topics to build your personal knowledge or look for reference material for a course you are already studying.
- Join the debates - hit the Comments area on all our pages to make your voice heard, rate how we're doing and share with your friends.
The OpenScience Laboratory is:
- An online centre that will transform the teaching of practical science.
- A means of conducting authentic and rigorous investigations using real data.
- A laboratory and observatory that is globally available.
Information for Co-ordinators
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Read our FAQs for answers to questions that are frequently asked about the scheme by potential YASS students and school co-ordinators.
Schools interested in YASS can contact our YASS Project Co-ordinator Page Munro (0131 549 7958) or complete a School Interest Form, which can be returned by email or post: YASS, The Open University in Scotland, 10 Drumsheugh Gardens, Edinburgh, EH3 7QJ.