Skip to content

Toggle service links

Coronavirus: Please be aware it may take us slightly longer to respond than usual. Find out more about our coronavirus response.


You are here

  1. Home
  2. DataSkills by The Open University

DataSkills by The Open University

Applications have now closed.

If you are an employer looking to grow and diversify your digital talent pool and/or upskill existing employees into new digital roles, then a Skills Bootcamp by The Open University could be the right choice for you.

As part of the DfE’s Skills Bootcamps programme, this 16 week-programme provides individuals and employees with the opportunity to build up data analysis skills and has been designed with both participants and employers in mind.

DataSkills by The Open University flexes around participants’ work and other commitments, combining high quality online learning with live webinars, online support, coaching, mentoring and certification preparation sessions.

Participants will work towards the internationally recognised Microsoft Azure Data Fundamentals (DP-900) and Data Associate (DA-100) industry certifications, so they can evidence the skills they’ve developed.

What will they learn?

The DataSkills by The Open University programme begins with foundational data concepts before moving on, in a structured way, to develop the higher-level data analysis skills employers look for when hiring for entry-level job roles. The programme aims to grow the data analysis talent pool to help address the high demand for these skills*.

Participants will learn about:

  • Core data concepts
  • Cloud data services
  • Relational and non-relational data
  • Modern data warehouse analytics
  • Preparing, modelling, visualising and analysing data 
  • Deploying and maintaining deliverables

During their practical work, participants will use Microsoft Power BI to visualise and maximise the value from their data assets.

  • LinkedIn’s Economic Graph 2021

What could completion of this programme lead to?

This programme provides participants with the chance to develop and certify data skills and launch a career in data analysis. Typical job roles include:

  • Data Analyst
  • Business Intelligence Analyst
  • Business Systems Analyst
  • Marketing Analyst
  • Logistics Analyst

During the programme, participants will have access to a wealth of careers resources, including insights from inspirational industry professionals, courses, CV writing assistance and interview preparation, to help prepare them for their move into a new digital role.

What are the entry requirements?

A minimal technical background is needed to be considered for this programme, but it will be important for individual participants / your employees to have a strong curiosity about how to use digital technologies and data to investigate and solve problems. A basic level of understanding of computer technology, cloud computing and the internet is assumed. It will also be helpful if applicants have knowledge of fundamental programming principles.

They will need to be able to answer ‘yes’ to all the following questions to be eligible to apply:

  • Are you between the ages of 19 and 64?
  • Are you a UK citizen or have the legal right to live and work in the UK?
  • Are you resident in England or a resident of Wales, Scotland or Northern Ireland and moving into a digital job with an employer based in England?
  • Are you in work, self-employed, recently unemployed or returning to work after a break?
  • Can you commit to 16 weeks of flexible part time study, starting week commencing 11th October? On average you’ll need to set aside 8-10 hours per week for study but at certain points in the programme, more study time may be required.
  • Are you committed to moving into / returning to a digital job role at the end of the programme?
  • Have you achieved a grade C or above in GCSE Mathematics (or equivalent)?
  • Do you have regular access to a desktop or laptop computer with an internet connection?

Programme details

The programme is scheduled to start the week commencing 11th October 2021.

If you are interested in the programme to upskill an existing employee(s) into a new or higher level role(s) and are successful in your application, you will be asked to contribute 30% of the programme fee(s). The DfE will contribute the remaining 70% of the fee(s).

Your employee(s) will need to complete an application form by 19th September 2021.

Not on our mailing list?

Sign up to receive regular emails that are full of advice and resources to support staff development in your organisation.

Sign up to our emails