What is the Open Futures Scholarship for Black Students?
The Open Futures Scholarship for Black Students provides the opportunity for new, UK-resident students who identify as Black to study for free.
50 scholarships will be available in 2023/24. A scholarship covers OU undergraduate credit-bearing modules and qualifications, paying for the full tuition cost of your qualification, up to 120 credits each seasonal academic year and 360 credits in total.
Successful recipients of a scholarship will also be entitled to receive a one-off, £500 study costs grant to support with the cost of preparing for study with the OU, such as buying a laptop, study materials or arranging internet access.
Why have we created this scholarship?
We launched our Black Students' Support Fund as our data showed that the number of new Black undergraduate students had significantly declined at The Open University...
To be eligible, you’ll need to meet all the following criteria:
- Identify as being from a Black background; applicants must have one of the following ethnicities:
- Black African
- Black Caribbean
- Black Other
- Mixed – White and Black Caribbean
- Mixed – White and Black African
- Other mixed background (to include Black African, Black Caribbean or Black Other)
- Have a personal annual income of not more than £25,000 or be in receipt of a qualifying benefit
- Be ordinarily resident in the UK and eligible for a UK fee
- Hold no existing higher education qualification
- Be a new student to The Open University
- Be intending to study towards an undergraduate OU qualification or module commencing in the 2023/24 academic year
- Be studying at a minimum intensity of 25% (30 credits) per academic year
Full details of the scheme are available in the scholarship terms and conditions.
How to apply
Applications for the 2023/24 academic year are now closed.
If you’re successfully selected for a scholarship, we’ll email you by 4 August 2023 to confirm. We’ll also be in contact soon afterwards to ensure you’re ready to study and help you choose your course, so don’t worry if you’re unsure what you’d like to study.
Need more information?
Our advisers are on hand to answer any questions about the Open Futures Scholarship for Black Students. Don’t hesitate to call us on 0300 303 5303.