What is the Open Futures Scholarship for Black Students?
The Open Futures Scholarship for Black Students, launching for the first time in academic year 2022/23, will provide the opportunity for new, UK-resident students who identify as Black to study for free.
50 scholarships will be available in 2022/23. A scholarship covers OU undergraduate credit-bearing modules and qualifications, paying for the full tuition cost of your qualification, up to 120 credits each seasonal academic year and 360 credits in total.
Successful recipients of a scholarship will also be entitled to receive a one-off, £500 study costs grant to support with the cost of preparing for study with the OU, such as buying a laptop, study materials or arranging internet access.
To be eligible, you’ll need to meet all the following criteria:
- Identify as being from a Black background; applicants must have one of the following ethnicities:
- Black African
- Black Caribbean
- Black Other
- Mixed – White and Black Caribbean
- Mixed – White and Black African
- Other mixed background (to include Black African, Black Caribbean or Black Other)
- Have a personal annual income of not more than £25,000 or be in receipt of a qualifying benefit
- Be ordinarily resident in the UK and eligible for a UK fee
- Hold no existing higher education qualification
- Be a new student to The Open University in academic year 2022/23
- Be intending to study towards an undergraduate OU qualification or module commencing in the 2022/23 academic year
- Be studying at a minimum intensity of 25% (30 credits) per academic year
Full details of the scheme are available in the scholarship terms and conditions.
How to apply
We are now closed for applications for the 2022/23 academic year.
If you’re successful, we’ll email you by 5 August 2022 to confirm. We’ll also then be in contact soon afterwards to make sure you’re ready to study and to help you choose your course, so don’t worry if you’re not yet sure what you’d like to study.
Need more information?
Our advisers are on hand to answer any questions you might have about the Open Futures Scholarship for Black Students, and to help you complete your application, if you need it. Don’t hesitate to call us on 0300 303 5303.