What you will study
Throughout this course, you'll discover how to use online display advertising throughout the user journey to drive engagement and deliver your marketing objectives. You'll explore how to maximise campaigns and how to target and measure them effectively. Practical exercises will help you to apply your new knowledge, and the social learning approach will empower you to further enhance and reflect on your understanding by sharing your thoughts and opinions with co-learners.
Delivered over four easy-to-digest sections, you will cover:
1: The user journey
- The role of online display advertising in the user journey
- Ad blockers and online advertising volume
- User journey mapping and online display advertising
- Ad networks and creative options
- Online display advertising targeting options
- Keeping iteration and measurement at the core of online display advertising activity
2: Formats and creative
- Understand the role of different online display formats for different situations
- The Internet Advertising Bureau (IAB) and standard ad sizes and formats
- Technical factors and load time
- Graphical ad formats
- Video ad formats
- Mobile ad formats
- Creative best practice examples
3: Targeting options
- Understand the role of different online display targeting options for different situations
- Audience vs content-based targeting
- The targeting and ad cost connection
- Demographic, geographic and device targeting
- Topic and interest-based targeting
- Retargeting and lookalike audience targeting
- Automatic targeting and AI in online display advertising
4: Measurement and iteration
- The online display advertising iteration opportunity
- Core measures: impressions, clicks and conversion
- Online display advertising variables that impact results
- A/B and multivariate testing online display advertising
- Ad platform analytics
- Web analytics for online display advertising
- Attribution modelling to calculate the true value of online display activity.
Please note: the content in this course also features in courses created by The Open University and Target Internet, which are available on FutureLearn.
You will learn
By the end of this course, you'll have the skills to:
- explore and plan online display campaigns across a range of networks
- produce online display campaigns using effective creative
- interpret online display advertising analytics reports
- improve online display campaigns using analytics data.
Online display advertising is a powerful tool to reach potential customers as they browse the internet, from watching YouTube and shopping, to checking their email and using apps. Having the skills to effectively use display advertising gives you a critical advantage in the digital marketing landscape.
This course has been developed by the OU with industry experts, Target Internet. Known for being leaders in digital marketing training, they also have vast experience in planning and implementing digital campaigns for high-profile brands, including the BBC, Sony, Tesco, Vodafone, Mercedes, L'Oreal and Warner Bros. It's hosted by Target Internet's CEO Daniel Rowles, the voice behind the Digital Marketing Podcast and renowned author in the field.
There is no tuition on this course and all study is self-directed. Throughout the course, you will have the opportunity to enhance and reflect on your understanding by sharing your thoughts and opinions with co-learners.