How much will it cost in England?
We believe cost shouldn’t be a barrier to achieving your potential. That’s why we work hard to keep the cost of study as low as possible and have a wide range of flexible ways to pay to help spread the cost.
- Fees are paid on a module-by-module basis – you won't have to pay for the whole of your qualification up front.
- A qualification comprises a series of modules, each with an individual fee. Added together, they give you the total cost.
- Our current fee for a 60-credit practice-based module for this qualification is £3,582.
- Our current fee for a 60-credit theory-based module for this qualification is £3,168.
- At current prices, the total cost of your qualification would be £19,836*.
*The fee information provided here is valid for modules starting before 31 July 2022. Fees normally increase annually in line with inflation and the University’s strategic approach to fees.
There may be extra costs on top of the tuition fee, such as a computer, travel to tutorials, set books and internet access. If your income is not more than £25,000 or you are in receipt of a qualifying benefit, you might be eligible for help with some of these costs after you register.
Ways to pay for your qualification and other support
We know there’s a lot to think about when choosing to study, not least how you can pay. That’s why we offer a wide range of flexible payment and funding options to help make study more affordable. Options include Part-Time Tuition Fee Loans (also known as student loans), monthly payment plans and employer sponsorship.
It may be possible for you to secure sponsorship from your employer who will cover your tuition fees.
Part-Time Tuition Fee Loans
As a student on the BA (Honours) Social Work (England) you may be able to apply for a Part-time Tuition Fee Loan. You’ll pay nothing up front and only start repayments when you’re earning over the income threshold, currently £27,295. Repayments are linked to your income to ensure they’re affordable and are deducted automatically by your employer through the UK tax system. On a salary of £29,000, for example, repayments would be £12.79 a month.
Open University Student Budget Account
The Open University Student Budget Accounts Ltd (OUSBA) offers a convenient 'pay as you go' option to pay your OU fees, which is a secure, quick and easy way to pay. Please note that The Open University works exclusively with OUSBA and is not able to offer you credit facilities from any other provider. All credit is subject to status and proof that you can afford the repayments. You pay the OU through OUSBA in one of the following ways:
- Register now, pay later – OUSBA pays your module fee direct to the OU. You then repay OUSBA interest-free and in full just before your module starts. 0% APR representative. This option could give you the extra time you may need to secure the funding to repay OUSBA.
- Pay by instalments – OUSBA calculates your monthly fee and number of instalments based on the cost of the module you are studying.
Read more about Open University Student Budget Accounts (OUSBA).
You can pay part or all of your tuition fees upfront with a debit or credit card when you register for each module. We accept American Express, Mastercard, Visa and Visa Electron.
We know that sometimes you may want to combine payment options. For example, you may wish to pay part of your tuition fee with a debit card, and pay the remainder in instalments through an Open University Student Budget Account (OUSBA).
Please note: your permanent address/domicile will affect your fee status and therefore the fees you are charged and any financial support available to you.