Screen reader guidance
Doing a search
- Skip links are included at the top of every page. The “Skip to Search” link will take you straight to the search box.
- You can also access the search box via a list of form fields (Insert + F5 in JAWs). In Chrome the search box is referred to as "Search anything edit combo", and in IE11 as “Unlabelled1 Edit Search anything”. (We are working with our third party supplier to fix this issue in IE11).
Viewing results and full text by tabbing on the results page
You can use the tab key to navigate the results list, to access the links to the full record for each item, and the full text link where available:
- When you first tab into an item in the results list, all of the information for that item is read out, including the title, author, date, and associated links
- When you tab forwards once more, you go to the title of the item which is also a link to the full details. (In IE11 JAWs announces “PRIMO-explore full display link”).
- Tab forwards once more again, and you get to the Full text available link for that item, if it is available.
Viewing results and full text by listing form fields
Each result is currently treated as a button by screen readers, and so one way to navigate the results page is to bring up a list of form fields on the page (JAWs Insert+F5):
- Results are numbered, and each result begins with the number and includes title, author and date. If full text is available it will also be mentioned here.
- To go to the full details for the record, press return to go to the result on the results page, and then return again to follow the link to the full details. From here you can tab to the Full text link if it is available.
Filtering your results
There are a number of options available under the “Filter my results” heading which you can use if you want to narrow down your results. For example, Availability (including whether it is available in full text online), Resource type (e.g. newspaper articles, ebooks) and Subject.
Quickly getting to the filters
- There’s a “Skip to filters” link at the top of the results page that will take you to the top of the Filter my results area where you can use filters to narrow your results.
- "Filter my results" is a level 2 heading, so another way to access the filters would be to list all headings on the page (Insert + F6 in JAWs) and then select “Filter my results” (near the bottom of the list).
Filtering using just one option
If you only want to filter your results by one option (e.g. Full Text Online), it is best to tab past the checkbox for that filter option, and use the adjacent button instead. That way the filter will be applied instantly, and you won’t need to navigate to the "Apply Filters" button to apply the filter to your results.
Filtering using more than one option
If you want to use more than one filter option (e.g. Full Text Online and Newspaper Articles) you will need to select your filters using the relevant check boxes, and when you have finished you will need to use the “Apply filters” button. Here’s one way to do it (using JAWs):
- Tab through the filters, and select the checkbox next to each filter you want to use
- When you’ve finished selecting filters, you need to apply them to your results using the “Apply Filters” button. Bring up a list of form fields (Insert + F5 in JAWS) then find the "Apply Filters" button (you can press “a” until you find it in the list). Press enter twice to select and then activate the button.
Removing active filters
The “Reset filters” button will remove all filters that you have applied to your search:
- Bring up a list of form fields (Insert + F5 in JAWs)
- Find the "Reset Filters" button (you can press “r” until you find it in the list)
- Press enter twice to select and then activate the button.
You can add any of the items in your results list to your “My Favourites” list. When you go to My Favourites anything that you’ve selected will be listed there.
Adding items to My Favourites
- In the results list, each item will have a “Keep item to Favourites” button. Tab to the button for the item you want to keep, and press Enter.
Viewing items in My Favourites
- Go to the "My Favourites" link in the main menu, or open up a list of links (Insert + F7 in JAWs) and choose “Go to My Favourites” from there
- The items you have saved to My Favourites will be listed, and the item titles are heading level 3, so you can scan the titles using the heading command (H in JAWs).
If, after reading this page, you still have queries about using the service, please contact the Library Helpdesk on +44 (0)1908 659 001 complete a query form or chat to a member of OU library staff during our opening hours using our Webchat service.