Disability financial assistance

If you have a disability, long-term health condition, specific learning difficulty or mental health difficulty, you may be entitled to additional financial support to help with your studies.

Get the help and support you need to show what you’re capable of.

Disabled Students’ Allowance (DSA)

DSA is a government grant that covers study support costs for students in the UK with a disability. It’s non-means-tested, has no age limit, and is non-repayable.

It could help you by paying for extra equipment, support or additional costs, such as printing, a specially adapted computer, or travel.

You can find more information about DSA on our disability support website.

If you are resident in England and are required to pay a £200 contribution towards the cost of your DSA computer, you might be eligible to apply for support towards the cost of this through the Study-Related Costs Fund.

The Snowdon Trust

Aiming to help people with a wide range of disabilities, The Snowdon Trust can also help provide support through additional funding for disability-related costs. They accept applications from students with physical or sensory disabilities for costs not fully provided for by available statutory funding.

See further information about grants from The Snowdon Trust.

Student Health Association Assistance Fund

Awarded by the Student Health Association, this bursary is designed to help with additional costs incurred due to your disability. To apply, they typically expect students to have also applied for DSA and be able to provide the outcome of that application.

To find out more, visit the Student Health Association Assistance Fund website.

I was made aware of the Disabled Students’ Allowance (DSA), and The Open University student support team supplied both helpful equipment and a mentor who was a qualified counselling psychologist. Her advice and support have been invaluable beyond words.

Kevin Offley, BSc (Hons) Open Degree