Write us a story or poem in one Tweet, to win tickets to Creative Writing Workshops at the Edinburgh International Book Festival 2018.
The Open University in Scotland (OU) is pleased to be supporting three Creative Writing Workshops at the Edinburgh International Book Festival at Charlotte Square Gardens, Edinburgh.
Aspiring writers have the chance to win complimentary tickets to the workshops by entering our competition.
Writing Biography, with Damian Barr
Saturday 11 August, 10:30-12:30
Competition hashtag: #OUWriteComp1
Writing About What You Don’t Know, with Karen Lord
Wednesday 15 August, 10:30-12:30
Competition hashtag: #OUWriteComp2
Writing For Life, with Michael J Malone
Thursday 16 Aug, 18:00-20.00
Competition hashtag: #OUWriteComp3
More information about the workshops:
All of these workshops are currently sold out. The complementary tickets on offer with this competition are normally valued at £35.00 or £30.00 concession.
- Enter by writing a story or poem in one Tweet, of maximum 280 characters, including spaces and the hashtag for the workshop you wish to attend.
- Entries can also be submitted by Facebook, by liking or following the Open University in Scotland Facebook account. Then submit your entry as a comment to one of our Facebook posts about the competition, limiting your story or poem to 280 characters, including spaces and the workshop’s competition hashtag.
- The entry deadline is 12.00noon on Wednesday 1 August 2018.
- The entries will be judged by Natalie Lewis, Senior Faculty Manager, Faculty of Arts & Social Sciences at the OU in Scotland, who herself has completed the OU modules Creative Writing and Advanced Creative Writing.
The terms and conditions:
- The competition is open from 12.00noon on Wednesday 25 July to 12.00noon on Wednesday 1 August. Entries received after 12.00noon on Wednesday 1 August 2018 will not be counted.
- The competition is being conducted via social media only; entries can only be submitted by Twitter or Facebook.
- You can submit as many entries as you wish, for as many of the workshops as you wish, by submitting an entry for each workshop and including its competition hashtag.
- The competition is open to persons aged 16 and over who live in Scotland.
- Students of the OU are eligible to enter the competition. Employees of the OU are not eligible to enter the competition.
- Entries that do not use the correct hashtag, or contain inappropriate or offensive language, will not be considered.
- Each winner will be awarded with one ticket to one workshop only. There will be two winners per workshop.
- Winners will be notified by direct message, via Twitter if they Tweeted their entry, or by Facebook if they submitted by Facebook. They will be notified early week commencing 6 August 2018.
- All winners will be asked to send their full name and email address to Scotland-Events@open.ac.uk, for correspondence about ticket collection. This information will be held in line with General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) policy.
- Tickets are non-transferable. Prizes are as stated and there is no alternative.
- Entrants into the competition shall be deemed to have accepted these terms and conditions.
You can try Creative Writing course content for free, on the OU site OpenLearn, such as the 8-hour course Writing what you know, or the 12-hour course Start writing fiction.
The OU offers the modules Creative Writing and Advanced Creative Writing, a BA (Honours) English Literature and Creative Writing, and an MA in Creative Writing.