Skip to content

Toggle service links

Credit transfer

Use your previous HE study to help you gain an OU qualification

You are here

  1. Home
  2. Frequently Asked Questions
  3. When do I need to provide syllabus information?

When do I need to provide syllabus information?

Most applications for credit transfer require you to provide syllabus information.

If you are applying for credit transfer only towards an Open degree you do not need to provide syllabus information, as it does not matter which subject you studied previously.

If you are applying for credit transfer toward an OU qualification which is completely different to the subjects of your previous studies, and therefore expect only to be awarded free choice credit, then you do not need to provide syllabus information.

However if you are applying for credit transfer towards an OU qualification in a similar subject area to your previous studies, or you want us to complete as detailed an assessment as possible, you may need to provide syllabus information. Please check the factsheet for your chosen OU qualification to confirm whether syllabus information is required.

Please note that you may be prohibited from studying certain modules if the content of your previous study is very similar to OU modules. When your credit transfer award has been made it will show you any modules that you are prohibited from studying.

Already studied?

 If you have already studied with the OU please sign in to make sure that you get the credit transfer information that is relevant to you. 

Contact us

If you have any queries about applying for credit transfer please feel free to contact us using the link below.

Please try to include:

  • which qualification you completed
  • the organisation you completed it through
  • when you completed it
  • which OU qualification you would like to transfer to

Contact us about credit transfer.

If you have general questions about the University feel free to contact us.

More information about The Open University.