Introducing Ancient Greek
WelcomeWelcome to the Open University's 'Introducing Ancient Greek' website. If you are starting to learn Ancient Greek, this site is for you! This site will help you prepare for a Beginner's Ancient Greek course such as the Open University's Reading Classical Greek: language and literature (A275).
Using the menu on the left you can:
- review the letters of the alphabet
- listen to the sounds of the alphabet
- recognise the letters
- memorise the sequence of letters
- use letters to form words
- use words to form simple sentences
You will needYou will need Shockwave and Flash, both of which are already installed on most computers. You can download the latest versions here:
Increasing the size of text
Modern browsers allow you to increase the size of the text on a web page, which can be useful when viewing Greek. One of the following methods usually works:
- Hold down the 'Ctrl' key (usually located near the bottom left of your keyboard) and press the plus or minus keys.
- Hold down the 'Ctrl' key and move the mouse wheel up or down.
- Select the 'view' option at the top of your browser. You should see a menu with options such as 'zoom' or 'text size'.