Skip to content

Discussion of Latour's articles incl. 'When Things Strike Back'

This forum discusses three pieces by Latour and an interview with Latour.

Latour, Bruno. (1996) On Actor-Network Theory: A Few Clarifications. Soziale Welt 47:369-81.
This piece provides an overview of the key ideas/concepts of Actor Network Theory (ANT).

Latour, Bruno. (2000) When Things Strike Back: A Possible Contribution of 'Science Studies' to the Social Sciences. British Journal of Sociology 51:107-23.
This piece is a discussion of the import of 'things' in the social sciences.

Latour, Bruno. (2004) How to Bring a Collective Together. In Politics of Nature: How to Bring the Sciences into Democracy, translated by Catherine Porter. London; Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press.
This is a chapter from Latour's most recent book on the Politics of Nature which touches on the politics of collectives of human/nonhumans.

Crawford, T. Hugh. (1993) An Interview with Bruno Latour. Configurations 1:247-68.
This piece is an illuminating interview with Latour in which he reveals his influences (e.g. Serres and Deleuze) and aversions (incl Foucault).

Forum: Method 3

Bruno Magalhaes says

Hi all,
Here is some follow-up thinking on the discussion we had on Bruno Latour’s work. I will try to be brief as the Christmas spirit has already took our minds away from all those weird things like objects who object and doors that discriminate. Let me just say that the chat was most instigating.

After the talk I kept thinking in specific on how Latour’s understanding of objectivity can be connected to his ambiguous relation with Foucault’s thought and to the dialogical understanding of politics he works with (that, among other problems, leads to his favouring of the voice, as Martin suggested). I kept thinking on these points because I also see them as problematic. Nevertheless, I am not convinced that they are sufficient reason to discredit Latour’s innovative way of approaching the link between the production of scientific knowledge and the socialization of what we accept as the objective reality of things. That distinction is important to me, because it allows me to maintain the break with epistemological explanations to the enactment of the objective, from which Labour derives his argument, while at the same time arriving at a completely different understanding of what is to be political.

If I may, I would like to make two short remarks respecting the lines suggested by Owen and defined in the posts below. The first remark has to do with the implications of Latour’s reading of objectivity. The second, with how I see his relation with Foucault. About politicality, I will just try to raise the question that is keeping me awake by now.

Objectivity: Allow me a quick exegetic incursion here. For Latour, the mechanics involved in the production of scientific knowledge play a central role in the definition of what we accept as the objective reality of the elements studied by both “hard” and “soft” science. He argues that scientific knowledge not simply describes reality, but creates the objectified reality of the element under study. His intention is not to deny out-thereness or to suggest that science has the magic power of materializing a desired reality, but to demonstrate that the specific signifieds we come to attribute to that referent out-thereness is always culturally situated. Out-there and reality become two different ontological categories, and what the scientists can have the pretension to understand is how the specific culture under study came to establish their interpretations of the out-there as reality and how that interpretation generates interest outside the laboratory. To our discussion, I think that division between out-there and reality as different ontological categories is interesting because is upon it that Latour defines his argument about objectivity as recalcitrance. The process of mangling a specific reality to the out-thereness of an atom, although not a direct emanation from the exterior reality of the atom is influenced by what the atomic element in his row condition allows the scientists to say about him. That is a way of bringing some material determinism while at the same time breaking with an image of language as simple representation (in that sense, he is indeed quite close to what I read of Hacking in Representing and Intervening, although Hacking maintains a commitment with historical ontology). When applied to the sciences of the social, that same logic leads Latour to the understanding of politicality as democratization of science, that we all criticized as naïve, typical Habbermasian dialogicism, a favouring of the voice etc. But I will curb myself here.

To connect that point about objectivity with his schizophrenic relation with Foucault’s thought, I will just jump and say that a common first reaction to Latour’s conclusion about objectification as socialization of a “normal” reading of the element tends to be a sonorous “so what?”. Is there anything especially innovative in saying that the objective reality is defined relationally and through othering? Since post-structural critique, that is almost a shibboleth, isn’t it? Nevertheless, I do think there is something innovative in the way Latour arrives at that conclusion: through ethnographical work. I think it is innovative not in the elementary sense of adapting a new method to a new field, but because the ethnographical take encouraged Latour to search for the mechanics that are central to the reification of the realities objectified during the production of scientific knowledge.

That image of reification and the framework he builds around it will be considered problematic afterwards, as Rabinow’s critique exemplify. Nevertheless, Latour’s bracketing of post-structural explanations based on historical epistemology in favour of a detailed account of how authorized practices actually define what we accept as the objective realities of elements, I think, is innovative and worth keeping. That is what I meant when I said that it may be important not to throw the baby out with the bath.

Latour and Foucault: the quick remark I would like to make here is about Latour’s relation to Foucault, and his ambition to enlighten our understanding of how things came to be normalized (made objective) as they are through the offer of an alternative epistemological framework. In his early works on lab ethnography, Latour explains the stabilization of one statement as the objectified reality of element studied in terms of path dependency that lead the statement to a status of un-controversy. The existence of multiple statements disputing the reality of the element under study is a sign of immaturity of the debate. As the scientific discussion around the topic matures, routinization and black-boxing provoke homogenization, until, in the end, the scientific reality imputed to the element “discovered” becomes fixed, definite and unambiguous. For Latour, as routinization takes place “the cost of challenging the reified statement is impossibly high. Reality is secreted”.

The acceptance by Latour of that singularization as a necessary outcome of the production of scientific knowledge seems problematic to me. To be secreted as the definite reality in the cultural discourse is not the same than being reified in practice as the only reality, I think. Quite bluntly, there seems to be a problem in the fact that Latour derivates his analysis from a commitment with epistemological symmetry but end-up contradicting that commitment, when trying to construct an epistemological theory from their situated ethnographical findings. That is the price he pays to become the new “maître à penser” in French academy.

In that sense, Rabinow`s critique hits the nail into the head, I think. (Where did you find it Claudia?). However, I didn’t read it as a defence of Foucault`s approach. I read it more as a critique against the pretension to circumscribe the process of objectification of reality in a grand epistemological narrative that connects diffuse practices in a linear process of reification (or normalization; or governmentality). In that sense, the critique is applicable both to Latour as to Foucault, or at least to what was done of Foucault work. In that sense, one could see Latour as a Foucauldian, as he maintains the initial insight that the limits of our episteme were not defined in a punctual moment in history, but constantly re-enacted. But I can also read his work as extremely anti-Foucauldian, as Latour likes Foucault`s work on devices as the pan-opticon, but is not convinced by attempts to articulate diffuse practices in terms of models of governmentality. Interesting enough for me, I can also invert the relation, as Latour is also contradictory himself. So, Latour is criticized by being Foucauldian (or not being Foucauldian enough. Depends of the Foucault you choose), because he starts with the break with epistemological asymmetry but then fall back in an epistemological grand narrative (though maintaining an appearance of fluidity thanks to the resort to ethnography). So, for me, Latour is Foucauldian and anti-foucauldian or the other way around, depending of which Latour and which Foucault I use as reference. (It is starting to remind me of my algebra classes in high school. “Permute and Combination”, isn’t it?).

Politicality: here I am afraid I can’t contribute with a remark, but only with a question. The central one to me is how can I break with epistemological asymmetry and maintain the image of objetivation as constant enactment without being overwhelmed by the fractionality of the real. I am happy we will be reading John Law for the next session, as I think his work opens some interesting lines of flight for rethinking politicality.

Looking forward to our next debate.

Have a great Christmas break everyone and a happy New Year!
Best wishes,
Bruno

18 December 2010, 20:07

Owen Thomas says

Hello all,

I have a three remarks that I’d like to make: the first relates to Latour’s notion of objectivity, the second to Latour’s relationship with Foucault, and the last relates to Latour’s description of the ‘ideal user’. The comments are broadly based on ‘when things strike back’, the Crawford interview, and the ‘sociology of a door’ essay respectively. The first two follow on from what Eva and Claudia have written. The latter very crudely relates to Martin’s comments that I have just read whilst writing these.

'Objectivity'

Firstly on ‘objectivity’ in Latour. Like Eva, I found this section of ‘When things strike back’ both a little intriguing but also reminiscent of the early poststructuralist IR debates. Latour suggests we need to conceive of objectivity as “a way to render objects able to object to the utterances that we make about them.” Those in natural sciences may find this task less awkward because “microbes, electrons, rock seams … do not have to be protected against biasing the experiments … because they are utterly uninterested in what human scientists have to say about them”. These objects “have no scruples whatsoever in objecting to the scientists claim by behaving in the most undisciplined ways … [they] are naturally recalcitrant”.

Now on first reading this strongly reminded me of Ian Hacking’s division of active and inactive things (previously human/non-human) whereby ‘calling a quark a quark makes no difference to the quark’. However this would seems to be the opposite of what Latour wants to do no? Under this new (old) definition of objectivity, social scientists “instead of fighting what they imagine to be the natural sciences way of handling ‘mere objects’” should try to “discover those rare and sometime dangerous situations where neither intentionality, nor consciousness, nor reflexivity defines humanity”. But what are these rare and dangerous situations? Are these the “assemblies that make up things in this new (very old) political forum”?

Foucault

From these questions I want to move to my second comment. I agree with Claudia that Latour’s relationship with Foucault seems worth exploring. In the interview that Nadine circulated, Latour expresses this ambivalent attitude toward Foucault:

“[Foucault] is a rather traditional thinker in the epistemological tradition of [Georges] Canguilhem and [Gaston] Bachelard, a tradition that shows how science should escape by a succession of breaks from its past and from its social condition.
Yes, Foucault is asymmetrical. He is all for radical discontinuity and revolution, but all his work is in the social sciences. There is not a word on the natural sciences (except medicine, which is related to the natural sciences). Perhaps Foucault could have done the job if he had attended to the details of chemistry and physics (he says somewhere that since Canguilhem was doing it in the natural sciences, he could limit himself to the social sciences), but I think that by avoiding the hard sciences, he has shunned the hard cases, so we cannot really evaluate how useful he could be.
You could of course try a Foucauldian study of the hard sciences, but I don't think Foucault's vocabulary and concepts would lead you very far because, for cosmology and chemistry, the slash is not enough”.

I think Latour’s comments here resonate with our own discussions earlier in the year. Latour is not rejecting Foucault as much as he is expressing a dissatisfaction that Foucault never engaged in investigation of the ‘hard sciences’. For me this is no surprise, but perhaps that because I implicitly accept what Latour critiques for Foucault for: that Foucault excludes the ‘hard sciences’ from his methodological approach.

However, I find it particular interesting that Latour seems keen to retain a particular component of Foucauldian methodology, namely the dispositif:

“But the real test of this redefinition would be to see whether or not the nonhumans--the hard sciences--can be brought into the description.

Not only do you need knowledge in order to exert power, but you also need dispositif to set up and produce both society and knowledge… the panopticon is the very sort of intellectual technological dispositif which interests me. … But of course, there are many more dispositifs than the panopticon. There are dozens of technologies, is laboratory studies have shown, that can modify scale and time, reorganize space, subvert levels, and so on… There is a very productive line of inquiry coming from Foucault which has led to field studies--hospitals, accountants, bureaucrats, etc. This is not a metaphysical model but rather a model on which you can actually do empirical studies about the technologies of society and knowledge production.”

We have already discussed that the dispositif seems a lynchpin of Foucauldian methodology but one that is very much under attended to. Is Latour suggesting that the dispositif – this heterogeneous ensemble of relations – be reworked to include the objects of study that occupy the attention of the natural sciences?

The Ideal User

Lastly I’d like to make a comment on Latour ‘sociology of the door essay’, which I very much enjoyed reading! There are a couple of points I’d like to highlight, which seemed to me to suggest some interesting methodology considerations.

Latour suggests that these ‘non-human delegates’ – doors, door closers, traffic lights etc – “take over the selective attitudes of those who engineered them”. As such they create ‘ideal users’ and discriminate against those that do not conform to this type, “doors discriminate against the very little and the very old persons”. Latour suggests that these “anthropomorphic objects” have three features: (1) they are made by men (2) they are substitutes for the actions of people, and (3) they shape human action by prescribing back what sort of people should interact with the object successfully.

But humans exceed this ideal user type, they have a potential that surpasses the non-human delegate – users may be too strong or too weak for the door, users disobey signage. There is a gap between the ideal user prescribed by the non-human delegate and the user as he/she appears in the flesh. Moreover, this is not anticipated by those that engineer the non-human delegate.

Finally each non-human delegate is dependent on a network of other human/non-human functionaries – the map to bring users to the door, for instance. The success of each functionary is dependent on a “range of other set-ups being aligned”

I have two points here: (1) there is certainly something to be gained by looking to these non-human delegates for this ‘ideal user’ that is “silently subscribed back to us by non-humans”. Thinking about this in terms of biometrics for example: is the ‘user’ intended by the engineer the same as the user subscribed by the device? Has it been twisted or re-shaped somehow? To what extent it is non-human delegate ‘user-friendly’ in the manner intended? And what forms of excess does the user possess that exceed the non-human delegates attempt to extract certain behaviour? (2) If one were to establish this network of non-human delegates – assemblies? – then I wonder what explanation could be provided for ‘what guides the engineering of these delegates’? Perhaps some longitudinal mapping of human/non-human assemblies? Maybe this is how Latour can help us ‘square the circle’ as Martin suggests.

However this all relates to those ‘things’ that are in some way manufactured. What of mountains or quarks? What role do these things play? Do they also ‘silently subscribe’ some characteristic?

I think I’ll leave it there for now. Looking forward to our discussion. I add my own sincere apologies for the lateness of the posting.

14 December 2010, 22:31

Martin Coward says

Hi all.

It seems there is a certain sense of critical scepticism in the comments posted by both Claudia and Eva. I too had a number of concerns while reading Latour. I read his earlier work last year while trying to work out how I could approach the materiality of infrastructures. I also read Reassembling The Social – where there is more explicit methodological comment (though the methodology outlined seemed, to me at least, something like an object oriented discourse analysis). I focussed on Politics of Nature here as it was something I had not read. Since I only read a chapter of the book it is entirely possible that the questions I outline are answered elsewhere – hopefully at some point Nadine (who I think has read the whole book) will be able to correct me if this is the case.

I think I have two main concerns:

1. I think Latour privileges the voice – elements of the collectivity are made to speak in various ways. This reminds me in some ways of Habermas and discourse ethics: unless one can enter the dialogue, one can’t attain a fully political stature. This is, of course problematic in Habermas as it precludes those who do not want to speak in common language from attaining full political stature. I wonder whether this might also be the case in Latour. While he argues against ontology and metaphysics, there is an assumption that events in the world can/will fit a propositional grammar. But that seems to assume a lot about the elements of the world – most importantly that what they do can be regarded as an enunciation in some sense. Of course, this would give rise to an image of the world as an unruly cacophony – which is a nice picture for a progressive politics to claim. But I am not sure: what if the world does not speak? I can see why – in the context of environmental degradation – you would want the world to speak, but what if it is impassive (without falling back into the idea that it has its own essence). This would seem methodologically important as the main question for Latour would be how we can see in any association the conversation that defines its collectivity. If there is no speaking, then the question of how to discern the association is more problematic.
  2. With regard to the politics of the piece – as raise by Claudia – I sense something interesting at play. Of course environmental catastrophe is a hot topic right now. And it appears that neither science nor politics can address it. So squaring that circle is attractive. But under this, there is a sense of despair – the idea that we are already too late to save the world and that all is left is to learn from our mistakes. This is where I see Latour positioning himself - and where I see the emphasis on recalcitrance being so important. This is a theory that focuses on broken things: broken planet, broken treaties, broken things. Here Latour also shows his Heideggerian influences (since Heideggerian phenomenology tends to focus on the way that the normal functioning of the world is highlighted when things go wrong and, hence, tends to focus on moments of failure in order to understand the normal functioning of existence). But more importantly, it hides the fact that even recalcitrance is a kind of functioning. It is not refusal, just begrudging acceptance. But then what of those associations that work perfectly well? How do we notice these?

Overall, I have to say that while I find the two warring houses picture very persuasive, I am perhaps more persuaded by Bennett’s naïve realism. I think that she captures the sense of enchantment needed to see things as associative.

I am also struck by the idealism of the politics being invoked. There is a sense of reclaiming a democratic potential, not forging something new.

That said, there is much to discuss – especially in terms of how these ideas might be seen as a method.

Apologies for the late post.

14 December 2010, 21:59

Claudia Aradau says

Dear all,

It seems that we're all a bit low on energy towards the end of the year.
I've read through some of the Latour pieces - though not all of them - and I thought of bringing up a couple of thoughts about how Latour situates himself and the theory on the other:
-in our previous discussions, Foucault's analyses of objects and things were somehow there in the background. Reading Latour, particular the chapter from the Politics of Nature, it struck me that Foucault may be an uneasy figure for Latour. He does not fit the easy ways in which Latour dispenses with all work that's come before and posits STS and ANT as a new 'paradigm'. Nadine mentioned that Latour was critical of Foucault in one of the pieces (which I haven't read yet). At other times, (e.g. in Reassembling the social), he seems to be less critical of Foucault.
This gets me to a short but I think really good critical overview by Paul Rabinow back in 2000, which I'll copy further down.

"For Latour, we have, for some time now, already crossed over into a
certain state of things but we have been in a condition of misrecognition towards it. Overcoming the mis-recognition of the natives, their illusio in Pierre Bourdieu’s terms (1982), making the break with common sense, is the hallmark epistemological rite de passage for French thinkers, their guarantee that they are doing science – even when they are deconstructing the category. Latour’s project is to show us where and how we have erred, so that we can correct our course, put ourselves in harmony with the way things really are (and have been). If we follow Latour in making this fundamental break, we will understand the workings of heaven and earth, we will cease our futile bickering, we will be in a position to write and enact, in statesmanlike fashion, the best Constitution for the world. Then, and only then, seeming contradictions will be overcome, theory will be reconciled with practice, Nature with
Culture, Science with Society. False consciousness will drop away, true practice will be unfettered and a more just situation will unfold. Once the correct understanding is taken up, then the achievement of a common destiny will become possible, a new era will be with us and, correctly assessing it, we would recognize ourselves as belonging to it.

In We Have Never Been Modern, Latour writes:
In order to sketch in the nonmodern Constitution, it suffices to take into account what the modern Constitution left out, and to sort out the guarantees we wish to keep. . . Every concept, every institution, every practice that interferes with the continuous deployment of collectives and their experimentation with hybrids will be deemed dangerous, harmful and we might as well say it – immoral. (Latour 1993[1991]: 139)

And it is time, perhaps, to speak of democracy again, but of a democracy extended to things themselves’’ (Latour 1993[1991]: 142). Plato’s visit to Syracuse was rather disappointing, will Latour’s voyage to America achieve better results? Will the new Constitutional Convention and its Committee of Enlightenment draw together all things in motion? Will Latour be the Lucretius of global democracy? A viril Gaia? Will we see Committees of Public Virtue extended to all things, human and not? Will civilization reign? Are we on the edge of a ‘‘dramatic event’’?" (Rabinow, 2000: 39-40).

Rabinow's outline also reminds me that there is an enemy that Latour is writing against - and that's Bourdieu.

-the second point concerns Latour's ontology of associations. We have spoken about relationality before. After hearing Jane Bennett's talk at the Political Life of Things workshop, it struck me that relationality remains underdefined and underspecified for Latour too. What exactly are these relations? Laclau or Foucault would have a lot more to say about relations it seems to me. Latour makes the point of associations a 'civil collaboration' between humans and non-humans rather than the 'civil war' between objects and subjects. Blame it on my jet lag, but I don't see it beyond the play on words. Moreover, it stands in direct opposition with a Foucauldian methodology - and what does it tell us politically? perhaps the concept of 'recalcitrance' may help a little, though it sounds too reactive too me.

-thirdly, politics. I'll leave this for a little later, just wanted to get us started. and looking forward to an impassioned defense of Latour :)

best
Claudia

13 December 2010, 18:33

Eva Herschinger says

All in all, I would like to make three points. First, I very much liked Latour’s piece but above all his discussion about objectivity and how the notion allows bringing natural and social sciences together in a very much different way than before. However, for me, his understanding of objectivity prompted some questions, as it seemed to be very much different of the ones advocated in the social and natural sciences. Perhaps I am totally ignorant but the definition of objectivity he gave “objectivity as what allows one entity to object to what is said about it” I would consider as not the general definition of the term in both sciences. I do not consider this as a problem, however, this could easily be used against his plea for integrating science and technology studies into the social sciences, i.e. one could challenge him by denouncing his criticism as not pertinent neither to the natural nor the social sciences because they “share” (although he convincingly shows that they don’t) a distinct understanding of objectivity as the social sciences are ‘imitating’ the natural sciences and he only promotes an understanding of objectivity that has no value to both sciences. Furthermore, couldn’t one argue that a number of points regarding objectivity have been made, for instance, by early poststructuralists in IR and elsewhere? True, their focus was very much less on introducing the object via STS, however, their aim was more often than not to ‘give voice to the unheard’ or ‘let those speak which had no voice before’, i.e. their critical aim aligns them with Latour. For me, with regard to objects this reproduces one general problem we already discussed: how do we know about what the objects want (if they want anything at all), why they are acting this way and not another etc? In the case of marginalized people one might just simply argue, let’s ask them but I cannot ask an electron or a microbe – I cannot even ask an animal expecting to understand what it answers. Hence, when Latour says that the electrons and microbes “will have no scruples whatsoever in objecting to the scientist’s claim” (p. 116), I would like to know how does he know that they have no scruples? For me, again it raises the question of how can we know about the status of an object? And: is an object that is recalcitrant still an object only?

This brings me to my second point: what does this imply for methods? How do we bring in the object and its recalcitrance? In this respect, I think, Latour is very much more precise than earlier texts as one could start by looking for/reconstructing this recalcitrance in experiments, discourses, observations and the like.

My last point is more of a question. I was surprised how big a role the political plays in his text. The “political forum” is the place where the “progressive composition of the common world takes place” (p. 121), and “this assembly in charge of composing the world that should rightly be called politics” (p. 120). Does this imply that by bringing in the recalcitrance of objects allows democratizing our world? Democratization via including objects and no longer reserving agency only to humans – which clearly reminds of Bennett’s plea for non-human agency – but perhaps this is a normative underpinning I believe to read between the lines of his text and not his intention…

15 May 2012, 18:33