ATHLETIC DEVELOPMENT: A PSYCHOLOGICAL PERSPECTIVE
#TeamOUsport academics Dr Caroline Heaney, Dr Nichola Kentzer and Professor Ben Oakley have recently published a new book ‘Athletic Development: A Psychological Perspective’. The book examines some of the psychological factors that can help or hinder the development of participants in sport. It shines a unique psychological perspective on the athlete’s development through sport and explores a range of contemporary themes that influence athlete’s development including:
- An introduction to athletic development which orientates a holistic, psychological perspective of the athletic development process.
- Social influences on athletic development, which explores the impact of varied social influences (e.g., coach, family, peers, school) on sports participation and performance from a psychological perspective.
- Athlete wellbeing, which explores various aspects influencing mental health and welfare as an athlete progresses through their sports career.
The book features contributions from experts in the field including #TeamOUsport central academics Jess Pinchbeck and Candice Lingam-Willgoss and associate lecturers Jo Horne and Iain Greenlees and is a core resource in our new module E312 Athletic Development: A Psychological Perspective.
The book comprises fifteen chapters as outlined below.
Section I: Athletic Development: A Holistic View of the Journey Ben Oakley
- What Is Athletic Development? Ben Oakley
- How Did We Get Here? Exploring the Evolution of Athletic Development Perspectives Ben Oakley
- Transitions on the Athlete Journey: A Holistic Perspective Robert Morris
- Retirement from Sport: The Final Transition Candice Lingam-Willgoss
- Researching Athletic Development Joanna Horne
Section II: Social Influences on the Athlete’s Journey Nichola Kentzer
- Coach-Athlete Relationships: The Role of Ability, Intentions and Integrity Sophia Jowett and Katelynn Slade
- Towards Mutual Understanding: Communication and Conflict in Coaching Lauren R. Tufton
- Creating an Optimal Motivational Climate for Effective Coaching Iain Greenlees
- The Family Behind the Athlete Jessica Pinchbeck
- How Does the School Setting Influence Athletic Development? Nichola Kentzer
Section III: Mental Health and Wellbeing on the Athlete’s Journey Caroline Heaney
- Understanding Mental Health and Wellbeing in Sport Caroline Heaney
- Developing Resilience on the Athlete’s Journey Karen Howells
- Thriving in Athletic Development Environments Daniel J Brown
- Athlete Welfare for Optimal Athletic Development Daniel J. A. Rhind
Section IV: Conclusions
- Effective Athletic Development: Closing Thoughts Ben Oakley, Caroline Heaney, and Nichola Kentzer
Congratulations to Caroline, Nichola and Ben and all the contributing authors!