Skip to content

Toggle service links

You are here

  1. Home
  2. Teaching and research
  3. QAA Higher education review
  4. QAA Higher Education Review – Action Plan

QAA Higher Education Review – Action Plan

Updated 8th July 2022

Abbreviations used

  • CFO - Chief Financial Officer portfolio
  • CIO - Chief Information Officer portfolio
  • CP - Curriculum Partnerships
  • CPMG - Curriculum Partnerships Management Group
  • DSA - Data and Students Analytics team
  • GS - Graduate School
  • IET - Institute of Educational Technology
  • OUVP - Open University Validation Partnerships
  • PGR - Postgraduate Research
  • SA - Students Association
  • StELA - Student Experience and Learning Adjustments
  • VCE - Vice-Chancellor’s Executive
  • VCE-A - Vice-Chancellor’s Executive - Academic
  • VLE - Virtual Learning Environment

Vice-Chancellor’s Executive with overall responsibility

  • PVC(S) - Pro-Vice- Chancellor (Students)
  • PVC (RES) - Pro-Vice-Chancellor (Research)
  • Uni Sec - University Secretary
  • CFO- Chief Financial Officer
  • CIO - Chief Information Officer
  Commendations; Recommendations; Affirmations Action agreed Progress Date for Completion Action lead VCE Success Indicators

 

Commendations

 

 

 

 

 

 

1

The flexible and effective provision of Access modules that prepare a diverse range of students for higher education study methods. (paragraph 57)

Actions taken since the QER:

1.1 A third presentation of all three Access modules has been introduced. This was intended to provide greater flexibility for students. The Access team will monitor registration and performance data at monthly meetings

1.1 Registration for modules starting in May 2021 was buoyant and student/Associate Lecturer (AL) feedback so far has been positive. The Access Team will continue to monitor the take up of Access modules through standard quality assurance processes and report into the Access and Participation Steering Group.  A fast-track version of the Arts and Languages Access module has also been piloted. This enables students to progress quicker to their undergraduate qualification and will be monitored and evaluated in 2022

Ongoing

Chair of Access and Open Teaching Committee.

PVC (S)

Increase registration and completion rates for Access students, progression rates to OU level 1 and enhanced outcomes at level 1 and beyond compared with those who did not study an Access module

 

 

1.2. Guidance systems established to ensure only the most motivated students fully understand the time commitment involved before embarking on the 18-week preparatory module (as opposed to the standard 30-week version).

 

Completed

 

 

 

 

 

1.3. Scholarship is being undertaken to inform the roll-out to a fast-track version of a Science, Technology and Maths Access module (Y033) in May 2022. Further enhancements will be identified during the Periodic Quality Review (PQR) of the Access programme in 2022.

1.3.  Early data from the first award board suggests (although the numbers were relatively small compared to the conventional 30- week version) that students were more likely to be retained, more likely to achieve a good pass and more likely to register early to progress to their first undergraduate module. Tutors reported a highly motivated and engaged cohort – the demographic characteristics (fee waiver, disability, age) were very similar to standard Access students.  Interviews with tutors and a student survey have been undertaken. Interviews with 10 volunteer students will also take place in May 2022. Findings to be reported to the University via a report on Scholarship Hub and to the sector via workshops at UALL (Universities Association for Lifelong Learning) and the Forum for Access and Continuing Education (FACE) conference. Further enhancements will be identified during the Periodic Quality Review (PQR) of the Access programme in 2022

2022

 

 

 

 

 

1.4. Other recommendations arising from the PQR will also be taken forward in 2022

 

2022

 

 

 

 

 

1.5. The ongoing review of the  registration processes for the Access programme will continue with the aim of smoothing the applicant journey

1.5. The review is ongoing. An evaluation of the impact of the Access fee waiver has also been undertaken and from the next presentation the requirement to name an intended undergraduate degree has been removed and the household income ceiling of £25K has been amended to individual income (as in Scotland).

2022

 

 

 

2.

The effective approach to the engagement and support of staff in delivering the mission of the University, particularly during the Covid-19 pandemic, with the provision of online seminars and training. (paragraph 58)

Actions planned include:

2.1. Provide regular training and development opportunities to all teaching staff on the effective design and delivery of online tuition activities that use a range of pedagogic models and approaches to ensure alignment with diverse student and discipline needs

2.1. ALSPD continues to provide an annual programme of professional development to all ALs at an institutional level with additional bespoke sessions cocreated with faculty for specific disciplinary areas. The programme provides a range of self-paced learning resources, AL facilitated sessions and additional support to focus on specific areas of using online tools to deliver effective tuition. All training, development and resources are based on emerging learning needs and evaluated.

Review annually

Associate Deans Faculties/ Assistant Director AL Support and Professional Development

(ALSPD)

Uni Sec and PVC (Res) – for IET staff training

PVC (S)

2.1(a) increase in satisfaction levels from students and staff regarding the delivery and learning experience of online tuition activities

2.1(b) increase in staff engagement with training (with increasing levels of engagement with higher skill-based sessions)

 

 

2.2. Retain/maintain and further develop one-to-many pastoral support platforms developed in response to the pandemic (e.g. Student Support Teams (SST), pastoral support forums) and integrate into current (or standard) student support team operational models, to provide students access to a range of support models that best meets their needs and promotes peer engagement and shared experiences

Actions 2.2, 2.3 and 2.4 will be formally reviewed in May/June 2022 at the sub-unit level (Student Support Services, SSS) and evaluated against the original success indicators and relevant key performance measures. The purpose of this review will be to determine the influence the group support methods have had on student engagement and satisfaction with teams and services from across SSS. The outcomes report will be used to clarify the methods of group support that will continue to be offered as part of support services to students, identify areas and approaches for further development and/or enhancement in the 22/23 academic year, and confirm the KPMs and success indicators to be used to measure ongoing progress.

The following actions have been identified:

2.2(a) SST Forums have been integrated in to BAU and are advertised via the bulletin board, email, and on the ‘Contact us’ page on StudentHome. This has led to the continued use of forums, by students, for student support issues. The number of posts is low (averaging 10 posts per week) but the number of readers is much higher. For example, the ‘Student mental health and wellbeing’ post from 24 April 2022 has had just under 1000 readers to date across all SST forums (1 June 2022).

2.2(b) There is no systematic satisfaction rating for the SST forums. However, reviewing posts over the past academic year shows that students are happy with the service they receive both in terms of information provided and timeliness of response.

Quality monitoring is carried out for moderators in the forums and consistent training materials have been produced for new moderators.

2.2(c) Two forums have been set up to support disabled veterans:

  1. Disabled Veterans as a community
  2. Students who are part of the Disabled Veteran’s Scholarship Fund (DVSF).

The forums are mirroring the usage and reader rates of the SST forums. Usage would increase if a link to the SST forums was added to the forum tab for each module VLE site.

Completed June 2022

Director, Student Support Services

 

2.2(a) continued use of SST pastoral support forums by students at similar or higher levels (demonstrating integration to standard support model)

2.2(b) maintenance or increase in student satisfaction with the quality and effectiveness of support delivered via SST pastoral support forums

2.2(c) introduction of at least one additional one-to-many support platform within Student Support in line with emerging student support needs

 

 

2.3. Integrate and expand the provision of one-to-many pastoral support events (e.g. self-confidence, motivational and study skills webinars, workshops) that have been designed for all and/or specific cohorts of students (e.g. younger students, full-time intensity study, students with disabilities) across all areas of Student Support

2.3(a) The FASS SST have repeated, in 21/22, one to many sessions for students registered on 120 credits (aimed specifically at level 1 students). This year saw attendance drop to 18 students (from 75 the previous year) suggesting that such events are seeing a decline in interest post-pandemic. The suggestion going forward would be to increase SST engagement with StudentHub Live (as opposed to putting on separate events). See 2.3 (b) for more info.

2.3(b) Rather than creating new forums/spaces for the provision of one to many support, the SSTs have aligned with StudentHub Live to provide support for specific study skills sessions (e.g. FBL SST and Faculty staff hosting a StudentHub Live event on student wellbeing). Further alignment between StudentHub Live and SSTs will be done for 22/23, in terms of delivering a programme of ‘one to many’ events throughout the year.

Completed June 2022

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Review June 2023

Director, Student Support Services

 

2.3(a) maintenance or increase in student engagement and satisfaction with one-to-many pastoral events

2.3(b) one-to-many pastoral support offered to students by all faculty-level SSTs (incl. Open prog)

 

 

2.4. Enhance connectivity between different support sessions and resources (e.g. Study sites, pastoral support webinars, Student Support Team forums, Student Hub Live events, Library training and support, HelpCentre self-serve support) to improve consistency in support provided and raise awareness of the range of support options available to students

2.4(a) The dissatisfaction appears to relate to a lack of a centralised events calendar i.e. events for the different areas are advertised in different locations so it is difficult for students to get a handle on everything that is in place to support them. The solution lies in systems development and so this issue has been flagged with the Student Comms Platform (SCP) and Digital Student Experience (DSE) projects to improve signposting.  

2.4(b) There is information about the various support resources in Knowledge Management System, but this is quite siloed e.g. separate pages for Library Services, Study Sites, Support webinars etc. We are exploring production of a single page to promote ‘one to many’ support services including Library Services, Careers and Employability Services, StudentHub Live and SST Forums.

Completed June 2022

Development within SCP/DSE to be reviewed as part of these projects (timeline tbd)

 

 

 

 

June 2023

Director, Student Support Services

 

2.4(a) reduction in dissatisfaction expressed by students regarding inconsistency in support sessions and resource

2.4(b) increase in staff awareness of support sessions and resources offered by other units

3.

The strategic, proactive, and effective use of data which enhances learning and teaching, supports access, and underpins the delivery of the university’s mission to enable greater student success.  (paragraph 79)

The University recognises the importance of consistent and reliable data.  In order to continue to benefit from enhanced data usage, the following technical solutions are planned by the Data and Students Analytics (DSA) team to enable the University to better understand the student experience and ensure appropriate  and efficient interventions are developed:

   

Director, Data Students Analytics (DSA)

CIO

Faster implementation of focussed interventions for students to improve student success rates

 

 

3.1. Agree core data needed and how it should be used. Core student data to be curated in Titan (the new Cloud based data platform introduced in 2020) 

 

End of 2022

 

 

More effective and efficient processing of data through dashboards

 

 

 

3.2. Titan and MicroSoft tools to be adopted by analytical workforce            

3.2. Some QME dashboards have now transitioned to Titan

Mid of 2024

 

 

Move to greater consistency of data and a single source of data

   

3.3. Data Management capability implemented and running in standard student support models   

3.3 In 2022, the Machine Learning solutions that will support targeted interventions has grown and there is progression with Marcomms on the implementation of Student Consultation Panels to deliver personalized and targeted communications to improve conversion and readiness.

End of 2024      

 

 

3.4. Business Intelligence redeveloped and rationalised 

 

End of 2023

 

 

 

 

 

3.5. Ensure that data science capability is well established   

 

End of 2022

 

 

 

 

 

3.6. ‘Optimisation capability’ implemented   

 

End of 2022

 

 

 

    3.7. ‘Self- Serve’ facility enabled   End of 2024      

 

 

3.8 DSA are now offering more training and development in the use of data dashboards to support staff to understand and use data more effectively

3.9 Work is ongoing to implement CP4D which is the IBM data management solution to improve data quality. 

 

Ongoing

 

 

 

End 2022

 

 

Reductions in PQR and PRG recommendations arising from QME in relation to data/dashboards

4

The comprehensive and effective support, provided by the University, to its partners, that assures and enhances its collaborative provision. (paragraph 154)

Actions planned by OU Validated Partnerships (OUVP) for validated awards:

 

4.1. Address the recommendations and affirmations from the recent OUVP Periodic Quality Review (PQR).

4.1 Activity on the PQR action plan is underway – an updated action plan noting progress with activity was taken to the OU Curriculum Partnerships Committee in March 22 and approved by Academic Quality and Governance Committee in May 2022.

Plan completed May 21

Implementation date – Dec 2022

Interim Head OUVP

PVC (RES) 

4.1. Plan approved and all associated actions implemented.

 

 

4.2. Review the processes adopted for validated awards during the pandemic and establish streamlined/amended processes with University approval and partner support

As part of the review, seek informal and formal feedback from stakeholders (partners and faculties)

 

 

4.2. In summer 2021 OUVP received a Higher Education Strategic Planners Association (HESPA) award – the Covid Response Award, recognising the support which was provided by OUVP to validated partners during the pandemic.

OUVP has continued to review its processes and a paper was taken to Curriculum Partnerships Committee (CuPC) in November 2021 about how a hybrid approach to future events would be applied, the paper outlined how Programme Validation, Exam Boards, Institutional Approval and Review activity would be managed.

OUVP is in the process of moving to this hybrid model so will canvass stakeholders for feedback in the near future.

Dec 2022

Deputy Head of OUVP

PVC (RES) 

4.2. Review completed and enacted including approval by Curriculum Partnerships Committee (CuPC) and acceptance by validated partners

 

 

Action identified for curriculum partnerships management:

4.3. Establish dedicated resource within Faculties to support the management of CP.

4.3 Additional dedicated resource has not been identified in all faculties, but CP work has now been allocated to specific individuals/groups in each faculty  

Actions taken in 2021-22 by WELS:

  • Established a WELS Curriculum Partnership Team including Academic - Faculty CP lead, Senior Manager (Curriculum Partnerships) and other senior CM support. Roles and responsibilities of WELS CP team include Quaity Assurance for the annual review of CP and response to the CuPC Scrutiny group feedback.
  • A paper prepared by Faculty Lead and Senior Manager (CP) to identify and set out roles and responsibilities of CP was approved in summer 2021 and accepted. Workload now to be allocated for CP.
  • Process of CP proposals set up and agreed for transparency of decision making, School agreement & responsibility (including allocation of resourcing).
  • Partnership Hub now set up on the WELS intranet as a ‘one shop stop’ about CP. OUVP have had involvement of the creation of this and the Hub directly hyperlinks to OUVP information, forms, direction.

Action taken by FASS:

  • FASS have recruited a new External Engagement team that have responsibility for the management of FASS collaborative curriculum partnerships.  This responsibility has now transitioned to the FASS External Engagement team, previously given to Senior Managers, Teaching, in FASS.  For curriculum partnerships in Scotland, the External Engagement team collaborate with the Partnership managers in OU in Scotland.

Action taken by FBL:

  • Faculty support for curriculum partnerships is now being managed by the FBL Quality and Development Manager with aspects handled by the Teaching Directors and Programme Managers and overseen by their Boards of Studies.

Action taken by STEM:

  • The Associate Dean, Enterprise and External Affairs team now support curriculum partnerships in STEM on an ongoing basis.

Ongoing 

Executive Deans

PVC (RES)

4.3. Dedicated resource funded and filled.

 

 

Actions identified for Affiliated Research Centres (ARCs):

4.4. Graduate School will continue to develop effective partnership working with ARCs. This includes new ARC and Faculty Quarterly meetings (established November 2020) to bring ARC management of the Post Graduate Research programme into closer working relationships with the Graduate School and faculties. 

 

Ongoing in 2022

Director, Graduate School

PVC (RES)

4.4. Engagement of ARCs in ARC and Faculty Quarterlies. Positive feedback on the partnership by ARCs in their Annual Institutional Monitoring feedback

  Commendations; Recommendations; Affirmations Action agreed Progress Date for Completion Action lead VCE Success Indicators

 

Affirmations

 

 

 

 

 

 

5

The action being taken to develop

the virtual learning environment that improves accessibility and supports an enhanced digital teaching and learning experience. (paragraph 63)

5.1. The OU’s core VLE is the digital container that houses our module teaching and learning content. The VLE is designed to support the delivery of our content and provides digital tools and features to enhance the digital experience. The VLE has a clear roadmap of development, and this will be updated to reflect the ambitions outlined within the OU’s Teaching and Learning Plan (see Recommendation 10 – paragraph 76 in the report) once it is agreed.

5.1 The team met with the Chair of the Learning and Teaching Group in 2021/22 to share work. Any outcome of the plan that the VLE is unable to deliver will be considered and built into the VLE roadmap if necessary

Quarterly continual enhancements and updates are made to the VLE based on direct student feedback and roadmap requirements.

Director, Digital Student Experience

CIO

Increase student satisfaction with the VLE as evidenced from increased ‘System Usability Scores’ (SUS). NB Nov 21 - this is the fifth time the SUS survey has been completed. This survey compares new and continuing students using OSEP theme module websites (VLE). The average score for all students responding to the survey has remained stable at 74.3 (from 74.2 In 2020) and continues to be above the industry standard of 68.  

5.2. We are continually developing our VLE and learning systems to ensure they present our current content as effectively and accessibly as possible for our students. These include, but are not exclusive to, full digital experience redesign (2016), enhanced provision of alternative digital formats of our content (continual updates), print version function (2016) and the recent addition of the OU Study app (2019-21) which as a companion to our VLE enables students to access their module content via an app either online or offline.

5.2 A full accessibility review of the VLE is planned for early 2022 and any identified areas for improvement will be part of a roadmap for 2022.

End of 2022

 

 

Dashboard data indicate increased VLE usage

 

 

5.3. A strategic programme of work to reduce fragmentation of the student experience is currently underway with the aim of redesigning the student-facing experience and delivering a seamless, coherent and effective overall digital experience for all our students (pending strategic investment), focusing on personalisation of content and support and building a safe, effective and vibrant community.

 

Completed

 

 

 

   

5.4. CIO continue to fund, resource and grow the Accessibility and Usability Evaluation team in LXT, this team offers professional evaluation expertise, training, advice, and guidance on creating accessible digital student experiences across the organisation.

5.4. Examples of this work in progress can be seen in planned training for all OU IT developers in early 2022, advice and guidance on creating accessible documents etc.

Ongoing      
   

5.5. A strategic programme of work to reduce fragmentation of the student experience is currently underway with the aim of redesigning the student-facing experience and delivering a seamless, coherent, and effective overall digital experience for all our students (pending strategic investment), focusing on personalisation of content and support and building a safe, effective and vibrant community. 

5.5. We have now secured strategic funding for a new DXP system that will enable us to provide a more seamless overall student experience (this will not directly change the VLE learning and teaching experience but will support it). The AUE team have been involved in the procurement stage to ensure the product meets our accessibility We should aim to have a pilot of this new experience for student testing by Feb 23, with the aim to release to all students in Summer 2023.

Summer 2023    

A new student portal released to students in summer 2023

6

The action being taken to develop and formalise the processes that will support the establishment, management and oversight of Curriculum Partnerships and ensure consistency across all faculties. (paragraph 150)

6.1 The programme of work begun in late 2019 to address specific shortcomings in the processes for managing curriculum partnerships (CP) and ensure more consistency of process across faculties and ongoing compliance with regulatory expectations, will continue in 2021. Continue to report actions/progress to CuPC

 

Ongoing

OUVP Deputy Director in association with faculties

PVC (RES)

Exec Deans

6.1. Review completed. Processes approved by Curriculum Partnership Committee (CuPC) and implemented. CP actions/progress as standard CuPC agenda item.

 

 

Further actions identified:

6.2. Develop a comprehensive partnership strategy which identifies opportunities, risks and mitigation, to allow the development of a consistent framework for OU partnership activity.

 

Complete

Head of OUVP

PVC (RES)

6.2. Dedicated resource funded and filled.

  Commendations; Recommendations; Affirmations Action agreed Progress Date for Completion Action lead VCE Success Indicators

 

Recommendations

 

 

 

 

 

 

7

Revises the use of the Relationship Agreement, in order to enable student representatives to communicate the closing of feedback loops more readily with the student body. (paragraph 45)

 

Colleagues from Students Association (SA) PVC (S) and the governance team met to agree a programme of partnership activity to address this recommendation. It was noted that there were two separate elements to this

 a. how reps can communicate with the wider student body to communicate the closing of feedback loops

b. how student reps can communicate with each other on confidential matters.

The issue goes beyond just the use of the Relationship agreement but also includes the governance code and the volunteer confidentiality agreement.

The programme of activity will involve:

Stage 1 – agreeing a set of principles around what we collectively want that communication, and those relationships to look like.

Stage 2 – identifying barriers to meeting those principles (for both a and b) and ways in which these could be overcome. These barriers may (or may not) include the content of the Relationship Agreement, the governance code of conduct, and the volunteer confidentiality agreement; the way in which these documents are communicated; the technical ways in which papers are shared; and the ways in which staff and students involved are supported to carry out their roles.

Stage 3 – addressing the barriers, including making any necessary amendments to the documents, and improving support and communications as necessary.

Stages 1 and 2 were completed on schedule by 31 July 2021, including resolving issues around the Students Association confidentiality form.

Other key documents have been reviewed and either amended or have suggested amendments for when changes are next possible. New and refreshed guidance for staff and students is being developed and is due for completion in July 2022. Milestones in improvement of support and communication included Student Rep training (July 2021) and enhancement event run for staff during Student Voice Week (November 2021).

Phased approach for completion July 2022 (Stage 3 is in progress for completion by 31st July 2022)

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

PVC (S) (Student Voice team) in association with SA and governance team.

 

PVC (S)

Agreed principles and action plan by 31 July 2021.

 

Positive feedback from those involved in governance including student reps when changes implemented. 

 

Long term increase in feedback from wider student body about academic representation

 

Increased use of Student Voice website

 

Increased satisfaction score for student representation in National Student Survey (NSS) – Q26

8

Works with the Student Association to develop and implement an effective mechanism for capturing and responding to the PGR student voice. (paragraph 46)

 

Actions taken/planned:

8.1. The Graduate School has increased the membership of the PGR-GS Liaison group to include three new PGR student members and representation from across the faculties. Faculties to work with Graduate School to support Faculty/School processes for responding to student voice.

 

 

 

Completed

Director of Graduate School in association with the SA

PVC (Res)

8.1 Increased representation of student groups at Graduate School Liaison group and increased awareness of the Liaison group in faculties/schools.

 

 

8.2. The Graduate School converted the 22nd June 2021 Liaison group meeting into a Town Hall meeting where PGRs can submit questions to Graduate School and Faculty staff; all PGRs can attend. 

8.2 The format was successful so there is now a formalised plan to convert further liaison group meetings into Town Halls.

Completed

 

 

8.2 Increased access of all PGR students to raise issues regarding their studies centrally through the Graduate School and OUSA, and in their home faculty and/or School.

 

 

8.3. The Student Voice Steering Group (SVSG), which is a partnership between the Students Association and the University and has oversight of the University’s Student Voice activities, has had an initial discussion about integration of PGR students into Student Voice work more broadly 

8.3 The following actions were completed in 2021/22: a section for PGR students included in the 21/22 Student Voice Action Plan; a specific place for a PGR student on the SVSG; annual reports on PGR Student Voice to SVSG.

Completed

 

 

 

8.3 Improved integration of PGR Student Voice activities, and of PGRs more broadly, into overall Student Voice picture.

9

Ensures the timely delivery of teaching materials in alternative formats so that students who require them are not disadvantaged. (paragraph 50)

 

The following actions are planned to address this recommendation:

 

9.1. Review of annual maintenance schedules to ensure despatch of printed packs two weeks before the use date in the study calendar and accurate student use dates for all items and mailings and embed this approach into business as usual

 

Completed 2022

Student Experience and Learning Adjustments Group (StELA)

PVC (S)

9.1. 100% of printed pack teaching mailings despatched two weeks before use date in the study calendar or alternative mitigation solution in place and advised to impacted students

 

 

9.2. Categorisation of modules to ensure relevant and appropriate production process for each module based on student demand, ensuring resource is directed to modules with highest student impact with mitigation approach agreed for low/no demand modules to enable timely response if student demand materialises

 

Completed 2022

 

 

9.2. Reduction in resource requirements and prioritisation of on-time delivery for modules with highest demand and acceptable response times for low/no demand modules

 

 

9.3. Use of Student Experience and Learning Adjustments Module Tracker and dashboard to identify issues in delivery earlier to ensure mitigations are in place

 

Completed 2022

 

 

9.3. Mitigation plan in place for any mailings that will not be on time including bespoke advice & guidance for any affected students and clear timely communications

 

 

9.4. Clear articulation to students of the alternative formats that are available to them via the module website (e.g. PDFs, kindle versions etc.) to facilitate self-serve. Clear process for claiming printing costs if need to do this themselves

 

Completed 2022

 

 

9.4. Students can self-serve in the case of any delays of printed pack mailings

 

 

9.5. Link with revised teaching and learning plan to embed student learning adjustments strategy and clearer articulation to students what this means for their studies

 

 

Start of the 22/23 academic year - ongoing

 

 

9.5. Students understand the student learning adjustments strategy before embarking on study and that printed pack is just one aspect of the alternative formats available

 

 

9.6. Link with Redesigning Production to embed accessibility by design

 

 

Start of the 22/23 academic year - ongoing

 

 

9.6. New modules have all types of learning adjustment solutions built into the standard production process rather than a bolt-on of module website production

 

 

9.7. Institutional connections between Securing Greater Accessibility Group, Equality and Diversity Inclusion (EDI) Steering Group and StELA to increase wider awareness and commitment to accessibility across all aspects of student delivery

 

Completed

 

 

9.7. VCE sponsorship of accessibility and accessibility action plan confirmed

Noted that PVC (S) is VCE sponsor for Accessibility and a Director of Accessibility will be recruited to coordinate this work across the institution.

10

 

Confirms its future intentions to deliver a digital pedagogy and clearly communicates the future accessibility of learning resources to existing and prospective students. (paragraph 76)

 

A new University Teaching and Learning plan will clarify future intentions in relation to digital pedagogy and accessibility of learning resources.  The approach planned will recognise the changing context of higher education and the worlds of work, developments in technology, the challenges of digital poverty and digital exclusion and the accessibility needs of our diverse student body. This will enable an appropriate blend of media and interactive formats and ensure that those who need access to print based materials will continue to benefit from them.

Work on digital inclusion will look to address access to broadband and equipment, assistive technologies and digital skills development.  The Digital Inclusion Task and Finish Group are working on a plan for implementation to reduce digital exclusion for all students.  As part of this, they will utilise data from the Policy and Controls team on expenditure for Covid19 measures (payment categories currently used in the Students Assistance Fund – SAF) in order to map need and plan future support. 

 

The draft Teaching and Learning Plan will be considered by QAC on 18/5/22 and Senate in June 2022. It was also discussed at OU Student Association Central Executive Committee on 14/03/22

A Communications Plan and Implementation Plan are being developed in order to ensure commitments are fulfilled and are communicated to the wider University community, including the student body. 

June 2022

 

 

 

 

 

Implementation planned for October 2022

Chair, Teaching and Learning Group

 

VCE-A

Concerns about accessibility of learning resources become less of a feature of student feedback.

Positive student feedback on clarity of University’s approach to digital pedagogy.

No students will be impacted by digital poverty/digital exclusion – the success indicator for this will be developed in the plan