Why study Engineering with The Open University?
Specialise your studies in the area that interests you with our broad, multi-disciplinary approach to engineering. You’ll join more than 10,000 students benefiting from our work with employers and professional engineering institutions to ensure our curriculum is fit for purpose and reflects current practice.
Just a few of the reasons to study engineering with The Open University:
- Your degree will be accredited by several leading professional engineering institutions.
- You’ll attend week-long residential schools, focusing on laboratory and field work, where you’ll develop invaluable practical skills.
- You’ll have access to OpenEngineering Labs that allow you to remotely operate research-grade equipment, so you can gather and analyse your own real data.
Careers in Engineering
New technologies, particularly nanotechnology, have created a demand for jobs. And graduates can find employment across a whole range of manufacturing and service industries, from food and fashion to construction and transport. Engineering is also central to finding innovative and intelligent solutions to decarbonising infrastructure and moving to clean technologies.
The OU could be the start to your career in:
- Mechanical engineering
- Project management
- Environmental engineering
- Technical journalism and patent work