What is a Disabled Veterans' Scholarship?
If you’ve been injured in, or due to, military service, you could be funded to complete a full Open University qualification.
We offer 50 scholarships every year, and all undergraduate and postgraduate modules and qualifications are eligible. You’ll have your fees waived for a maximum of 120 credits per seasonal academic year, up to a maximum of 360 credits, which is equivalent to a full honours degree.
Applicants will also be offered further specialist careers and disability support, alongside free study.
As a part of your scholarship, you’ll also be able to access specialist careers and disability support.
As a part of the scholarships scheme, our Careers and Employability services can offer:
- individual careers consultation and support
- group forums and webinars
- links with employers and specialist organisations, including possible visits, internships (virtual and physical) and placements.
If your application is successful, you’ll be able to request specialist equipment and disability support to help with your studies. This is in addition to any support provided via a Disabled Students’ Allowance (DSA).
Additional support could include:
- support and guidance on the DSA application process
- information and signposting about the support available during your studies
- alternative format module materials, such as audio or comb-bound versions of module books
- loaned equipment, such as digital voice recorders and magnifiers, and specialist software (i.e. text-to-speech software).
Additional support will be looked at on a case-by-case basis, depending on your individual requirements.
To be eligible, you’ll need to meet all the following criteria:
- starting OU study for the first time in the applicable academic year
- eligible for a UK fee
- disabled as a result of, or in, military service.
The full eligibility criteria are listed in the scholarship terms and conditions.
What supporting evidence will I need?
You’ll need to provide evidence as a part of your application that confirms your disability arose during, or as a result of, military service. This could be a letter from your current GP or consultant, or your confirmation of medical discharge.
How to apply to the Disabled Veterans’ Scholarships Fund:
We’re now closed for applications for the 2021/22 academic year.
Applications closed midnight 9 July 2021. If you’re successful, we’ll email you by 23 July 2021 to confirm. We’ll also contact you soon afterwards to help you choose your course, so don’t worry if you’re not sure what you want to study.
For further details of the scheme, view the full scholarship terms and conditions.
Need more information?
If you’ve got a question about the Disabled Veterans’ Scholarships Fund, our advisers are here to help. Don’t hesitate to contact us on 0300 303 5303.