What is the Open Futures Sanctuary Scholarship?
The Open Futures Sanctuary Scholarship, launching for the first time in academic year 2022/23, will provide the opportunity for new, UK-resident students who have been displaced from their homeland or place of residence for political, economic, ethnic, environmental, or human rights pressures, to study for free.
12 scholarships will be available in 2022/23. A scholarship covers up to 360 credits of OU undergraduate credit-bearing study, paying for the full tuition cost of these credits, up to 120 credits each seasonal academic year and 360 credits in total.
The 50 OU Access Module Fee Waivers will cover the cost of one OU Access module starting in Autumn 2022.
To be eligible for either a scholarship or Access Module Fee Waiver, you’ll need to meet all the following criteria:
- Be a forced migrant to the United Kingdom (a person displaced from their homeland or place of residence for political, economic, ethnic, environmental, or human rights pressures)
- Have a personal annual income of not more than £25,000 or be in receipt of a qualifying benefit
- Be ordinarily resident in the UK
- Hold no existing higher education qualification attained in the UK
- Be a new student to The Open University in the academic year 2022/23
- Be intending to enrol for an undergraduate OU module commencing in the 2022/23 academic year. If you are applying for an Access Module Fee Waiver you must be intending to study an Access module
- Be studying at a minimum intensity of 25% (30 credits) per academic year
Full details of the scheme are available in the scholarship terms and conditions
How to apply
We are now closed for applications for the 2022/23 academic year.
If you’re successful, we’ll email you by 5 August 2022 to confirm. We’ll also then be in contact soon afterwards to make sure you’re ready to study and to help you choose your course, so don’t worry if you’re not yet sure what you’d like to study.
Need more information?
Our advisers are on hand to answer any questions you might have about the Open Futures Sanctuary Scholarship, and to help you complete your application, if you need it. Don’t hesitate to call us on 0300 303 5303.