What is the Open Futures Sanctuary Scholarship?
The Open Futures Sanctuary Scholarship provides the opportunity for new, UK-resident students who have been displaced from their homeland or place of residence for political, economic, ethnic, environmental, or human rights pressures, to study for free.
12 scholarships will be available in 2023/24. A scholarship covers up to 360 credits of OU undergraduate credit-bearing study, paying for the full tuition cost of these credits, up to 120 credits each seasonal academic year and 360 credits in total.
Successful recipients of a scholarship will also receive a free starter pack of equipment to ensure they are ready to study. The starter pack will include a laptop with Microsoft Office, a laptop case, a keyboard and mouse, a printer, printer ink and paper.
Unsuccessful applicants will be offered the opportunity to study a 30 credit Open University Access module, starting in October 2023 for free.
To be eligible for a scholarship, you’ll need to meet all the following criteria:
- Be a forced migrant to the United Kingdom (a person displaced from their homeland or place of residence for political, economic, ethnic, environmental, or human rights pressures)
- Have a personal annual income of not more than £25,000 or be in receipt of a qualifying benefit
- Be ordinarily resident in the UK
- Hold no existing higher education qualification attained in the UK
- Be a new student to The Open University in the academic year 2023/24
- Be intending to enrol for an undergraduate OU module commencing in the 2023/24 academic year. If you are applying for an Access Module Fee Waiver you must be intending to study an Access module
- Be studying at a minimum intensity of 25% (30 credits) per academic year
Full details of the scheme are available in the scholarship terms and conditions
How to apply
To apply, you’ll need to download the full scholarship terms and conditions as well as the scholarship application form.
Once completed, email your application and supporting evidence to our Student Fees team. You’ll find their contact details on the first page of the application form.
Applications close at midnight on 12 July 2023.
If you’re successful, we’ll email you by 28 July 2023 to confirm. We’ll also then be in contact soon afterwards to make sure you’re ready to study and to help you choose your course, so don’t worry if you’re not yet sure what you’d like to study.
Need more information?
Our advisers are on hand to answer any questions you might have about the Open Futures Sanctuary Scholarship, and to help you complete your application, if you need it. Don’t hesitate to call us on 0300 303 5303.