Why study Languages with The Open University?
With more than 12,000 students on language or applied linguistics modules, you'll join a diverse community of peers, academics and support staff in your studies on an Open University languages qualification.
Studying languages with the OU:
- Offers you the opportunity to become a proficient user (Common European Framework of Reference for Languages level C1) of at least one modern language.
- Gives you the option of a week in France, Germany and/or Spain, depending on the languages you choose to study.
- Develops advanced knowledge of the cultures that use your chosen languages.
- Offers you the opportunity to learn about the English language – it's history, impact on the world today and role in communication from Shakespeare to social media.
Careers in Languages
With increasing demand for language skills in education, and more broadly across the economy in client-facing roles, the ability to communicate in more than one language could be your ticket to a new career, or your passport to a new life abroad.
The breadth of skills you'll develop on an OU language qualification could unlock any number of new careers, including:
- Diplomatic Service Officer
- PR Consultant