Why study Biology with The Open University?
Join other OU undergraduate students to discover and benefit from our long-established, quality distance-learning teaching. We also use innovative technologies to provide a supported and varied learning experience. Study biology with us, and you ’ll:
- Explore and develop your knowledge of a wide range of biology subjects and applications while developing your scientific skills.
- Undertake a range of home and field investigations, as well as virtual experiments delivered through our award-winning OpenScience Laboratory.
- Design and undertake your own small research project.
- Have opportunities to further develop fieldwork and practical skills through optional short residential schools.*
- Become an adaptable graduate with a range of transferable skills that are highly valued in scientific and non-scientific job markets.
Careers in Biology
Study Biology with The Open University and you’ll be developing the scientific problem-solving, analytical, investigative and communication skills that many employers require. You’ll be able to apply your new knowledge and skills in many different areas and fields of work.
Our range of courses in Biology can help you start or progress your career in a wide range of areas, including:
- Research or postgraduate study
- Veterinary, agriculture and medical-related fields
- Biotechnology and biomedical engineering
- Environmental management and conservation
- Government departments, non-governmental organisations (NGOs) and charities
*As a part of our response to the ongoing coronavirus pandemic, we don’t expect to be able to offer face-to-face tuition on modules beginning before 31 August 2021. For any face-to-face events we’re unable to offer, online alternatives will be provided instead.