Who can borrow items?
Whilst the library building is open to all for reference and study purposes, only the following people are entitled to borrow items:
- OU staff, Associate Lecturers, and post graduate research students
- OU taught masters and undergraduate students (all modules)
- SCONUL Access students and staff from other universities
- Open University Undergraduate and Taught Postgraduate students can borrow books for 3 months.
- Open University Research students and staff can borrow items for 1 year.
- External SCONUL Access students can borrow books for 1 month.
Before you borrow items
Before you can borrow any items you will need to join the Library. If you are an OU full-time research student, a member of OU staff or an Associate Lecturer working at or visiting Walton Hall you will need to activate the barcode on the back of your staff ID card.
How to search for particular items:
Library Search allows you to search the physical and online collections held by the OU Library in Milton Keynes.
- Go to Library Search.
- Enter your search terms (e.g. title or keywords).
- Select 'At Walton Hall library, Milton Keynes' to show only physical materials.
How to borrow items:
Once you have found the items you wish to borrow, follow these steps:
- Take the items you wish to borrow and your Library card to a self-issue/return machine near the Customer Services point on the ground floor.
- Follow the instructions on the screen to issue the items.
- You will have the option to print a receipt which gives the date your items are due for return.
How to renew items
- Renew online: Sign into Library Search click on your name, go to ’My Library Account' and follow the instructions.
- Bring the items into the library: Use the self-issue/return machine to renew your items by following the instructions on screen.
- Contact the Library Helpdesk stating your library card number.
How to return items
- Return them in the Library building using the self-issue/return machine.
- Place them in the book return box found at the entrance of the Library building, when the Library is closed.
- Post them back using recorded post, to
Library Services, The Open University, Walton Hall, Milton Keynes, MK7 6AA.
- OU staff based in the Regions and Nations can use the internal mail system to return items to Walton Hall.