The manufacturing research theme focusses on the interface between design and manufacturing. We undertake research into product development processes, digital manufacturing and design for manufacture. We also undertake research into additive manufacturing technologies. We work closely with colleagues in the Design Group and Materials Engineering groups to develop innovative solutions to the challenges facing the world today.
Our research interests include:
- Product development processes: product lifecycle management and digital manufacturing tools, Systems Engineering
- Design margins in engineering design and manufacture
- Design for additive manufacturing including: design guidelines and standards, design optimisation, increasing manufacturing sustainability
- Laminated Objection Manufacturing (LOM) using diffusion bonding.
- Makerspaces and redistributed manufacturing
- Aircraft manufacturing and assembly: early stage assembly line planning, systems installation simulation and planning