Child and youth studies is located in the Centre for Research in Education and Educational Technology (CREET). We draw on a range of approaches and methodologies including those from developmental psychology, childhood and youth studies, sociology, anthropology and cultural studies. Themes include:
- children and young people: experiences, identities, spaces, voice and agency
- young people: gender relations, masculinities and femininities
- the impacts of social and cultural change on children and young people
- learning, education, disability and technology
- the development of thinking, social relationships and representations
- international perspectives on childhood and youth.
Childhood and youth studies researchers have good contacts with pre-school institutions, schools, young people and families. We are an active inter-disciplinary group with a research income of over £1,800,000 since 2001.