Crowther to Jim Burrows(page 2 of 5)
20. Vaughan Harley Building
Professor Edward Vaughan Berkeley Harley (1864-1923) acquired Walton Hall around 1904. He was then Professor of Pathological Chemistry at University College London, based in Harley Street, named after his family. The North Spur Building opened in 1985 and was renamed after Vaughan Harley in 2010.
In addition to his work as a physician, Vaughan Harley was interested in farming, especially in breeding Shorthorn cattle. He applied scientific methods at his farm at Walton hall and took a particular interest in forming a herd of Shorthorns known as the 'Notlaw' herd. His cattle won numerous prizes at all the big livestock shows. He was also a breeder of Oxford Downs Sheep, Shire horses and large black pigs. He died at Walton Hall in 1923 and was buried at St Michael's Church.
The first image on this page shows the funeral procession of Vaughan Harley in 1923 at Walton Hall. The second shows the Vaughan Harley Building.
21. Charles Pinfold Building
Offices 6 was built in 1996 and renamed the Charles Pinfold Building in 2010. New Science and Technology workshops were added in 1997.
The Pinfolds owned the manor of Walton for much of the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries. Captain Charles Pinfold added the brick and stucco mansion to Walton Hall in 1830.
The third image on this page shows the Charles Pinfold Building.