If you want to become a teacher, our degrees could be your springboard onto a postgraduate teacher education course.
Primary or secondary teaching routes and requirements
- All teacher training providers will require you to have qualifications equivalent to Scottish Credit and Qualifications Framework level 6 in English and level 5 in Maths - for example grade Cs in Higher English and National 5 Maths.
- Find out more in the General Teaching Council for Scotland guides or via your chosen postgraduate course provider’s website.
When considering your options:
The General Teaching Council for Scotland sets out regulations around what you need to study, depending on whether you are planning to be a primary or secondary teacher.
Our Becoming a Teacher (Scotland) guide also has information about the different routes and requirements.
Speak with the university where you plan to do your postgraduate teacher training qualification - the Professional Graduate Diploma in Education. They might have specific requirements that will help you decide which degree to complete with the Open University.
Postgraduate study: primary
To become a primary school teacher, depending on the entry requirements for the Professional Graduate Diploma in Education of your choice, you may be interested in:
- our Education Studies (Primary) degree which will give you a sound understanding of policy and practice in primary education, and help you gain the knowledge and skills needed to work collaboratively and equitably in a range of settings.
- our Open degree, which allows you to create your own combination of modules. Some students decided to combine education focused modules with subject knowledge modules.
Postgraduate study: secondary
To become a secondary school teacher, and to meet the subject requirements set out in the General Teaching Council for Scotland and OU guides above, you might:
- enrol for a named degree in your subject of choice, for example the Open University BA Honours English literature and language to become an English teacher. You can search for named degrees on the Open University courses webpages.
- enrol on the Open Degree, which allows you to choose a range of modules across the university. You will need to ensure you meet the minimum subject requirements for Professional Graduate Diploma in Education entry but this option allows you to map a combination of modules you feel will benefit your learning and career the most.
Is teaching for you
Want to explore further about what a teaching job involves? Our Becoming a teacher course can help you to decide if teaching is for you. If you decide to proceed, it will also assist you to start writing your application for initial teacher education.
Trainee teacher Jim McKaig shares his OU experience